Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I use 80:1 Stan. Less clinching of the cheeks ya know?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try the 100/1 mix, even tho I'm "old school" and that ratio make me a little nervous. I'll just have to try to keep my "nads" crossed!
Have a good one!
I know how you feel. As an ex-master auto tech and motorcycle racer, 100:1 was against everything I believed in. After multiple calls to Amsoil techline and a warranty promise from them I tried it. The results at 100:1 have been awesome. I keep a close eye on my plugs to see whats going on in the combustion chambers and my temps have been perfect!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amsoil may have a small enough amount of petroleum product in their Saber Pro oil that it does not need to be listed in the msds. Stihl HP Ultra has enough, being made from petroleum products, that it needs to be listed. Stihl is synthesized from petroleum compounds. Amsoil had petroleum distillates in it's additive package. I assume Amsoils base stock then, is of a different type (non petroleum) than stihls and as such does not need reporting by msds/labeling laws. Amsoil two stroke bottles used to say "contains petroleum distillates". They still might. Synthetic oils can be derived from petroleum product and yet be labeled synthetic. It just means they aren't refined directly from crude oil. There are other base stocks that can be used for synthetic oils that are not petroleum products. I've always understood that is the case with amsoil...from a plant based origin I think, with small amounts of petroleum distillates only being included in the additive package. Small enough amounts that it does not require reporting in the msds.

Amsoil at 100:1 since the mid seventies with absolutely with no issues. There were a few times I switched to 80:1, like on the first tanks on a new Suzuki Proline, but it did not run as well as at 100:1. When you go off label with mix ratio (the oils label, not the machines.....oil used dictates ratio, not the machine) you start messing with jetting and that can be detrimental to operation. Manufactureres specify ratios because they use those oils that are geared to those ratios. 100:1 oils are designed to give the same or better lubrication at 100:1 as other oils - 50:1, 32:1, etc., provide at their designed in ratios.

Last edited by 44DCNF; 02-12-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
Amsoil at 100:1 since the mid seventies with absolutely with no issues. There were a few times I switched to 80:1, like on the first tanks on a new Suzuki Proline, but it did not run as well as at 100:1. When you go off label with mix ratio (the oils label, not the machines.....oil used dictates ratio, not the machine) you start messing with jetting and that can be detrimental to operation. Manufactureres specify ratios because they use those oils that are geared to those ratios. 100:1 oils are designed to give the same or better lubrication at 100:1 as other oils - 50:1, 32:1, etc., provide at their designed in ratios.
Amsoil doesn't specify 100:1. It says right on the bottle "Richer ratios may be used where desired". And then at the left lower of the rear label (1 QT bottle) it has a Mix Ratio Table that lists ratios from 100:1 down to 50:1.

It's not the oil that determines fuel air ratios. It's the amount of oil. When you decrease the amount of oil you are increasing gas in the same specific amount of "mix". The difference is so small that it's not worth messing with though. A decrease in oil increases the fuel, and that makes the A/F richer.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Amsoil Saber Pro was designed to run at a 100:1 ratio. It can be mixed however you want. If Im not mistaken Ridin called Amsoil's techline the same day as me and we were told Saber has been tested as lean as 300:1. At 100:1 it supposedly protects better than others at 50:1.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The Amsoil Saber Pro was designed to run at a 100:1 ratio. It can be mixed however you want. If Im not mistaken Ridin called Amsoil's techline the same day as me and we were told Saber has been tested as lean as 300:1. At 100:1 it supposedly protects better than others at 50:1.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's exactly right GMLC.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey Ridin'.... where's the best place to buy Amsoil? I'm gonna try some after I use the Stihl I bought with my last blower. (The dealer doubled the length of the warranty on the blower if I bought a 6 pack of the Stihl oil to go with it.)
Thank ye kindly! Stan
Go here http://www.amsoil.com/locator/index.aspx find a locator dealer that will cut you a deal like I did .The dealer I called sold me at $8.50 p/quart and even delivery it to me at a job I was working at.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try the amsoil sabre but its pretty hard to find in Charlotte. I called/emailed every dealer and they either didn't answer the phone or when they called back they said they don't usually carry the amsoil sabre and to order it on the Amsoil website and use their code so they get the credit for the sale.

I'm sure its good oil but just sell it in the stores to make it easier to get hands on without shipping and all.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I would try the amsoil sabre but its pretty hard to find in Charlotte. I called/emailed every dealer and they either didn't answer the phone or when they called back they said they don't usually carry the amsoil sabre and to order it on the Amsoil website and use their code so they get the credit for the sale.

I'm sure its good oil but just sell it in the stores to make it easier to get hands on without shipping and all.

Call my dealer ASHLEY JAMES (205) 915-7413 he said he will ship it at a good deal .My price was $8.75 he said add a little for shipping still best deal you can get and he is a super nice guy.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey Ridin'.... where's the best place to buy Amsoil? I'm gonna try some after I use the Stihl I bought with my last blower. (The dealer doubled the length of the warranty on the blower if I bought a 6 pack of the Stihl oil to go with it.)
Thank ye kindly! Stan
Call ASHLEY JAMES (205) 915-7413 he is in Pinson not to far from Decatur .I am go to get some more at the price of $8.75 p/quart.
ME and ASHLEY JAMES talk for over 30 min. about oil this and that and he said was OK to post name and number and he fix every one up with a good deal.