Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

zoysia zenith in FL?

Does anybody grow zoysia zenith in NW FL? How it perform?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanoty View Post
Does anybody grow zoysia zenith in NW FL? How it perform?

Thanks
Are you talking about growing from seed?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes im sorry, from seeds. Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanoty View Post
Yes im sorry, from seeds. Thanks
I have not seen anyone here in CFL pull it off successfully. I do know the cost of the seed would be a concern for me vs that of sod without proven results.

FL Landscapes may be able to answer more as I believe he has attempted to hydro seed zoysia before but I am not certain. The cost of the seed and the uncertainty of its germination and long term outcome vs the cost of sod in most instances has prevented me from even attempting.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a crazy train running,,, STOP. Please use sod. That will save YOU money.
If you have irrigation. St. Aug. Would be ideal "if you do it right,, all the time." better your chances with turf most applicators know best. Instead of the new,,, SUPER TURF. Few have mastered zoysia, in most areas. Trust me, it won't live many years. Good irrigation, good sunlight. Do the Aug. "Just do it right."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really cannot recommend zoysia instead of St Augustine. Especially not if the St Augustine could not be kept. Zoysia is a high maintenance grass. Most homeowners are not willing to pay for correct maintenance and most service providers are not willing to maintain it correctly. Mowing is done with a reel at between 3/4-1". Rotary mowers leave an ugly cut. They also keep the grass too tall and thick, aggravating diseases. I suspect, the reason why I do not see much large patch is because zoysia is usually cut with a reel here. The ones not, do have dead patches in them. I have seen some Zenith zoysia lawns. I do not know how it will hold up under starvation fertility regimes combined with high humidity and rainfall. Dollar spot gets it good if 3/4 lb N and at least 1/2 lb of K per month of growing season are not part of the program. It also is dead if it does not get at least 6 hours of full sun per day.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Empire Zoysia is being grown by one of our larger sod producers in my area. BTW Empire Zoysia is DNA patent protected and costs $ 120 a 400sq ft pallet at the Farm loaded on your truck. Now add in transportation and labor etc to install it. Compare that to $ 60 for the same size pallet of St Augustine at the same farm.

IMHO it is being over sold by telling people it is Drought Tolerant. While it is Drought Tolerant and will go dormant and come back. What is not being told to the customer, is it requires more water than St Augustine to look good.

Bermuda is the only year round SEEDED turf that establishes easily in the calcareous sandy soil of Gulf Coast Florida. In fact it does excellent in good soil. Common Bermuda fits a wide range of landscapes from ROW utility turf to fine home lawns. The quality of Bermuda turf is depend on the care given. However it survives nicely without any care as a utility turf. My own lawn is Bermuda and I use Roundup on it as a Growth Regulator and only mow it 8 times a year. BTW I also keep a reasonable green by using minor elements.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point on the appearance of zoysia when grown under an irrigation deficit. It won't die, but it sure looks bad. Take it far enough and you are now faced with a thinned out lawn that will take a very long time to grow back. The worst looking zoysia I have seen was in partial shade growing under irrigation deficit conditions. Thin, pale and just butt ugly. Mowing height had something to do with that as well. Zoysia kept at fairway height with a reel does not lose as much water as the same grass cut crudely and high with a rotary. Less leaf area=less water loss.

The high growth rate and availability as seed works in the favor of bermuda for areas subject to physical damage. There is also the option of frying an area and starting over from seed if the weeds get away.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking the same thing the other day about zoysia. There is a large plaza that has a new gym i go to and when they built this nice large plaza they install zoysia all over it. It looked ok when it was first installed but now its been in for alittle over a yr to me the turf looks like crap. I really dont understand why they paid top dollar for zoysia sod to be installed but didnt factor in the cost to maintain it to make it look nice. The turf is full of weeds and full of ants.

There has been several times i was going to take a pic and post it on here...
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
I was thinking the same thing the other day about zoysia. There is a large plaza that has a new gym i go to and when they built this nice large plaza they install zoysia all over it. It looked ok when it was first installed but now its been in for alittle over a yr to me the turf looks like crap. I really dont understand why they paid top dollar for zoysia sod to be installed but didnt factor in the cost to maintain it to make it look nice. The turf is full of weeds and full of ants.

There has been several times i was going to take a pic and post it on here...
IMO, it is the professionals job to instruct the customer what's what. If the customer knew what it took to keep the soysia nice(reel, verticut and topdress) most would say no thanks. But that stuff isn't discussed most of the time. I know this when I see guys running a 60" Dixie chopper on empire zoysia
Posted via Mobile Device