Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pool/Patio Design Critique/Ideas

OK Looking for people's thought's on my design for this back yard.

Here is a before and my 3d concept
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

is that band along the upper edge of the pool a planting area? or patio? how big is it
Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Between the two tier's of retaining walls the smallest is 3' and it is planting. I am thinking just mass planting of junipers for lowest maintenance possible.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

is that following the 2:1 ratio of stepped retaining walls? Is that even a real rule? asking the old guys for my own knowledge and your design
Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have built plenty of walls similar to this in the past without issue. Lots of Grid, Lots of Base and lots of prayers, haha. The plan for these walls is poured concrete walls with a natural stone veneer.

Also in case something is thinking it I would love to see a water feature from the walls into the pool but the client doesn't like the sound of them so that's out.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
We have built plenty of walls similar to this in the past without issue......
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. HOLD UP RIGHT THERE.

That's as far as I read before hitting the "reply" button.

One thing that drives me up the freakin wall is people saying "we did it hundreds of times and never had any problems". That's as pathetic as people saying "it is what it is", because they aren't intelligent enough to craft an intelligent statement.

I've driven my truck with the low fuel light on and never had any problems.

I've driven after a few beers and never had any problems.

People fudge their tax returns and never have problems.

People install plants too large against the front of a house and never have any problems.

Driveway paving companies used base coat for the top coat and never have problems.

People use stone dust in lieu of washed concrete sand and never have any problems.

I have a truck that goes 10,000 miles between oil changes and I've never had any problems.

But all those things I just listed are RISKS.

Why put your client at risk of enduring problems 8 years down the road???? Why???? Gilmore??

Will you still be in biz 8 yrs from now? What if you have a heart attack in 2015 an die and then in 2017 the client has a problem and then they have to pay someone else to re-do the work????

Is that your company culture? Put yourself in your clients shoes. They are trusting YOU. And trusting that everything will be smooth sailing till the day they die.

In my professional opinion, from an architectural standpoint, 3' between retaining walls is too spinley. That's like installing a 4' lead walk that's 75' long. From overhead it would look like a skinny pencil on the ground. Not proportionate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK I will re-phrase.... We have built similar walls in the past using approved plans from Architects/Engineers. New laws around us require that any walls over 4' require a permit process. Not saying all projects are the same but using proper construction methods and permits we have had these approved in the past and I have no doubt this one will be approved.

I do get what your saying from a design stand point it may seem a little small as well. I was looking to keep it minimal only to break up having a full 7' wall.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

also on the design, I've never seen a pool with a wall along one side, could you put a strip of patio or planting bed there also or does that shift the pool too far down the hill? I just think that it feels restricted and might create an issue of someone is looking for an edge to grab onto
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
also on the design, I've never seen a pool with a wall along one side, could you put a strip of patio or planting bed there also or does that shift the pool too far down the hill? I just think that it feels restricted and might create an issue of someone is looking for an edge to grab onto
Or the wall next to the pool may ask for trouble. I have a client who's son 35 years ago, at age 20 dove off the kitchen roof into the pool one night at 2 in the morning when he had a few buddies over. As a result - he has been a quadriplegic for the last 35 years. Never create things for young people to dive off of into the pool, whether its for your client or the next owner 15 years from now.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 02-12-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of Pool designs where there is a wall along one or more sides. Its maybe not common but that's the idea, clients don't want ideas that are 10 years old they want new ideas. This company has a few great examples http://www.houzz.com/photos/users/majesticpoolsandspas

In regards to DVS safety comment. There are hazards everywhere you look in the world. No matter how "Safe" you make something kids/irresponsible people/drunks will always find a way to get hurt. Its unfortunate that at times it can be life altering but we do what we can to protect from common injuries.

By installing a railing along the top with lockable gate access to the pool that restricts kids entering the pool area without proper supervision.

Tags
design , dynascape , pool design , sketch up