Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Best all around push mower???

I'm gonna be needing a push mower for my newly started business this year.... looking at the honda self propelled, I've used them in the past and really liked them. Haven't used any other commercial push mowers so was wondering what everyone likes?? Thank you!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

honda hrx217vka with smart drive. only about $500 at home depot. less than half the price of a commercial pushmower. if all you use is a 21" mower mowing all day every day then you may consider the commercial mowers. still though you could buy 2 of the cheaper ones and they would last as long as 1 commercial mower or maybe even longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSqOY...jyY6KQ&index=7
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

We purchased 2 of the Honda hrc 216 commercials about 7 years ago and have been thoroughly impressed with them. Yes they will run you about $1300 but they have served us well. Between the 2 of them we have had them cutting approx 15 yards a week for the past 7 seasons. I demoed a few other commercial push mowers and the Honda was the only one that impressed me. Mainly because its hydro driven while all the others are belt or gear driven. Cut quality is far superior compared to any other push mower I've run.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Guess I should've clarified....this isn't my only mower, got a 60'' ztr, just needing a good push for those small spots. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris buck View Post
Guess I should've clarified....this isn't my only mower, got a 60'' ztr, just needing a good push for those small spots. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
If it is only to be used sparingly as a trim mower I would go with a snapper or a toro super recycler. I use mine primarily as a trim mower so durability is not my main concern but weight and agility are. Not a huge fan of the personal pace on my Sr4 but it gets the job done. Also being restricted to mulching or bagging 100% of the time is not an option for me. I mulch most of the time with mine but there are times in the spring it is not practical.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris buck View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah that's basically all i use mine for. i use it rarely on small areas fenced in or whatever. i have a craftsman with the honda engine. i've had it over 10 years and it's still going strong. i used to mow my own yard with it which took 2hrs. it was about 1/2 acre or so yard. lol my brother also borrowed it for awhile to cut his yard. it's a tank. still going strong. all i've ever done is changed the oil and air filter and blade. still using the original belt that came on it. it's self propelled. i bought it for $250 at sears.

whenever it dies i'm gonna get the hrx217vka honda. it's got the lighter nexite deck and 6.5hp gcv 190 honda engine on it. the one i have now has the 5.5hp gcv 160 honda engine.