Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

commercial account help! they dobt want to pay

Basically they owe me for services totally up to $16, 210.00 for four different properties. They are managed by professional properties management in Rockford Illinois. I sent them several invoices and every time I talked to them they stated they was list or never received. I quit doing the properties because I wasn't getting paid. I received a letter for the accounts payable dept stating I just needs to update the invoice and they would get mw a check. After send the info they requested I never received a check. So I got my lawyer to contact them with calls and certified letter they reply back this week with a local lawyer stating they are only willing to pay 5500 of the invoice and that was their third offer and final. My lawyer says we can go to court but moat likely I would be stuck with the lawyer and court fees totaling around 4000 to 6000$ where that had to be paid up front and he expects the process to take about 8 months. I have a few witnesses that worked with me and some signatures and letters from the main office. Have any of you Guysa been in this situation before if so please give some advice. My lawyer dis say it Ian possible to get the court and attorney fees out of them but slim because they will argue I breached the contract...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Ps they have owed me for 12 months before I went to my lawyer and he sent them a letter and called them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

No encouragement here. But thanks for the post. It reinforces my policy to never deal with property management companies.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Write a fact based online review on their google listing or Twitter account (if they have one). At least you can warn the next guy and possibly the potential bad publicity will get them motivated.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a signed contract?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

can you post the contract, or pm it.
somewhere in the contract it should state when they are suppose to pay you 30, 60, or 90 days net.
by you waiting so long i take it you stopped service at the end of the season.

if you go to court and win, they have to pay your lawyer fees. I had 2 situations like that but about 10k each not 16. they also offered a low ball offer at first with the first letter. they came back pleading with a signed check for the full amount plus extra when the sheriff delivered the notice to them that they were being sued.

www.zawadzkilandscaping.com
Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get all your documents, sworn statements and invoices with all of yours and their letters and file or put a lein on their assests for the amount owed plus intrest. It may take a while but it will pay off. They cannot do(depending on the state laws) certain types of business transactions til that lein is satisfied.
Plus they will get a notice that you have placed a lein on them and I bet, unless they are going bankrupt, they will pay up.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Lawn View Post
Get all your documents, sworn statements and invoices with all of yours and their letters and file or put a lein on their assests for the amount owed plus intrest. It may take a while but it will pay off. They cannot do(depending on the state laws) certain types of business transactions til that lein is satisfied.
Plus they will get a notice that you have placed a lein on them and I bet, unless they are going bankrupt, they will pay up.
Ditto if it can be done. Lawyer should be able to find out.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm so glad I only do residential properties! It seems like commercial properties can be too much of a PITA at times! Especially when it comes time to pay up!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I have signed bid approvals from their general manager that states payment and late fees. If check not received within 45 days then 10% LATE IS ADDED. What kind of lien? And how much does it cost. Before I threatened them with legal action they kept saying we are going to pay we just need additional information blah blah blah... then never sent the check. The letter I sent them stating I was going to consult my lawyer was sent then they would just hang up the phone on me etc trying to say services was not provided properly in the spring mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device