Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Maintaining lawns this year with Sumagreen Turf

I was very happy with my results in the lawns and the appearance of the turf during the course of the year. I liked the price and I have decided to use it at a rate of 3 oz per 1000 sq/ft. Then every other treatment add 1/8 lb of liquid fert. I think this year I am going to see how it looks with just the Sumagreen Turf only.
I did notice lawns I had that were taking on water after a heavy rain seemed to drain better. I assume that is because of the longer root system that they mentioned would take place.
I was actually thinking of offering a tree and shrub treatment program. Maybe I will save for another thread about that as I have several questions about that like pricing.

Is anybody else trying anything new this year as I always keep a few lawns (mine usually) open to trying new things.
Now that the season is almost here again lets hope that everyone gets some nice rainfall this year and really hope you guys who struggled last year in those drought areas make out better this year.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My guess is that once your nutrients have been cycled adequately your N supply will quickly run out... as long as you have OM in decay N is being released... once your OM has decayed as much as it is going to, then only the additions will supply the N... Does Sumagreen have N, in it???

In answer to your other question:
I'm experimenting with compost applications in various soils and contexts, for exa., will try on lawns that lack color/luster during the summer months...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Sumagreen does not have any "N" in it. What they told me is that they have nitrogen fixing microbes that extract the "N" from the air around it. The guy made a good point that there is plenty of "N" around to pull from. I am not really concerned with the it. Like I said I am still going to add the 1/8 lb of N when applying again this year but only on 2 applications the first application and the Fall application. I am still up in the air about adding one say in early Summer like late June before the high heat hits our area but I am going to play it by ear (or sight

I do not like the compost to much. Had bad experience with it once which I still think it was probably my fault.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Getting by with less N, w/out sropping it completely, sounds like the way to go..

Curious though:
The 'N' fixing bacteria still have to eat and have an environment to thrive in... What kind of environment to they like and what do they eat???

The only 'N' fixers I know of , live in the roots of Legumes, so their habitat is as good as the plants, regardless what is going on in the soil...
If my thinking is correct...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I do not know the answer to that one but my guess is that the N fixing microbes (bacteria) feed on the humates that they are mixed with and this is why you would reapply the product every 6 weeks. Like I said I think the way to go will be adding the 1/8 lb of fert with every other application.

The price for the Sumagreen Turf is good and did great for me, my lawns and my bottom line. The guy told me yesterday that price was not changing this year so I actually raised my prices by a total of $1 per treatment on every client. That is a great increase in value to the business for me. Especially since I saved money on each lawn last year already.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I want to try sumagreen this year as well. How much nitrogen you use and where is a good place to get it?