Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cedar City

I am in Cedar City. I am looking forward to this coming mowing season. I have not done anything in the industry for 15 years. We will see how things go. In Northern Utah does everyone bag their grass on residential? In Cedar all the residential companies bag everything that I am aware of. The people on this site that I have heard act like bagging is ridiculous in most cases. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

We service all of Utah, but are located out the Richfield area. It is great seeing fellow Utahans on here.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Bagging

I have owned three businesses throughout the states and now in Utah making this my fourth company, and I have always bagged my clippings. I did have a mower that spewed green clippings everywhere and it was just a pain on clean up afterwards. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpropertyandlawn View Post
We service all of Utah, but are located out the Richfield area. It is great seeing fellow Utahans on here.
Do you bag your grass? Do you feel your residential clients expect it? Do you find it difficult to get residential people to pay you enough to get a reasonable hourly rate? Do you service residential and commercial? Do you have a preference? I just want to get a feel for another fellow Utah'n. A lot of people on here have a much different experience than this part of the country / desert.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpropertyandlawn View Post
I have owned three businesses throughout the states and now in Utah making this my fourth company, and I have always bagged my clippings. I did have a mower that spewed green clippings everywhere and it was just a pain on clean up afterwards. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Bagging

I have found that returning customers expect it, but other wise customers don't care, just as long as there isn't a mess when you are done. We service both commercial and residential. I like residential because there is always more work later on, commercial is nice though due to them willing to pay more because they want their business to shine more than others around. As for pay, I don't charge an hourly rate, mowing is a flat rate, from what I have seen they enjoy more.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone from Utah slc county area?

We try to sell them on not bagging the grass but at the end of the Day its whatever the customer wants.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a group of owners from around the country testing a 21-day landscape business improvement program for me. I would really like to have a company from Utah or Colorado. If any of you are interested you can check out the post Fix Your Business on the Toilet, and send me a pm. Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Its that time of year again! Looks like we will be starting spring clean-ups this week and mowing by the end of the month (weather permitting).

Past years I have bagged 95% of my residential and commercial accounts. However, this year, I was fortunate enough to land several large HOAs and want to try and get away from bagging as much as possible. From what I'v read, it seems to be much more efficient without sacrificing the quality of the cut. I just wanted to ask you guys how you manage your grass clippings and your opinion on going bag-less.

What machines are you running? Are you guys bagging, side discharging, or using a mulching kit? Mulching blades?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a smooth and profitable season!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to start doing a meeting with fellow members in the area. You know like get together and talk business. Learn from each other. Not to uncut everyone but to help keep this industry profitable. Network with each other. Would anyone be interested?