Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think he's referring to tranny belt slippage in that the mower is not being adequately propelled...esp uphill.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-12-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

yes the trans is one speed. to slow down you let up on the bail which slackens the belt and it slips. does this sound like sound commercial desighn?-not!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Testing the New Toro Turfmaster 30"

I was looking for some reviews this evening to see what anyone else is thinking of the new commercial Toro Turfmaster 30" mower... but I'm thinking my company may be one of the first to have received them in the Dallas area. I pre-ordered two of them at $1650 each and my employees have only used them a few times due to the weather. Here's some very preliminary input based on what we've seen so far:

* Cut - It mows as smoothly as the 21" Proline and does not appear to miss strips of grass in the center of the two blades. The Turfmaster 30 offers a notably smoother cut than our Toro wide-deck midsize mowers.

* Bagging - The bag is exceptionally easy to empty. No big plastic opening door to get in the way. Just unhook it and dump the clippings in a trash bag. Virtually no shaking required even when very full.

* Mulching - So far, so good; but I really won't know until April when the grass is actively growing. The mulch plug is a lousy design. It's hard to get in and out and very bulky. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out a way to keep the large chute door closed so that the mower can be run sans the plug. The only problem is that when the chute door is closed, the bag can't be fastened in place. So I'll have to decide whether to go back to the plug (not likely) or fabricate a better design that allows the gate to stay closed and the bag to hang in place when mulching. Not a huge issue.

* Transmission - It seems to work fine with a single speed. You just feather the traction bar and allow it to slip slightly. My men have been doing the same for years with the 21" mowers instead of constantly changing the gears without incident.

* Deck - Sure seems extremely sturdy but the mower is quite heavy. This is not a mower that two people would want to lift in and out of a truck all day.

* Height adjusters - Now these are an improvement over anything Toro has ever done, in my opinion. One quick shift in the front and the same in the back changes the setting for all 4 years. I do, however, worry about the slight sag in the rear height adjustor area. There's a little too much play back there.

* Engine - Mine have the Kawasaki FJ180V motors. These are generally bullet-proof engines, but wow, the RPM's rev WAY up when the blade-brake-clutch kicks in. WAY UP! It's very loud to the point you would want to regularly wear ear plugs when using it.

* Traction Engage - I don't get the need to slide the traction bar to the right slighly before engaging the BBC and transmission. It just required a quick shift of the handle spring and a 1/2 copper sleeve to correct it and still have the mower operating with the safety features in tact.

The bottom line is I've got high hopes for these mowers. Having an employee doing nearly 50% more work (versus a 21") with a mower that takes up far less space and weight in our trailers could render lots of additional income. That's why we do this, right? We'll see how they hold up, but I think the over all design is sound.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0013 View Post
I was looking for some reviews this evening to see what anyone else is thinking of the new commercial Toro Turfmaster 30" mower... but I'm thinking my company may be one of the first to have received them in the Dallas area. I pre-ordered two of them at $1650 each and my employees have only used them a few times due to the weather. Here's some very preliminary input based on what we've seen so far:

* Cut - It mows as smoothly as the 21" Proline and does not appear to miss strips of grass in the center of the two blades. The Turfmaster 30 offers a notably smoother cut than our Toro wide-deck midsize mowers.

* Bagging - The bag is exceptionally easy to empty. No big plastic opening door to get in the way. Just unhook it and dump the clippings in a trash bag. Virtually no shaking required even when very full.

* Mulching - So far, so good; but I really won't know until April when the grass is actively growing. The mulch plug is a lousy design. It's hard to get in and out and very bulky. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out a way to keep the large chute door closed so that the mower can be run sans the plug. The only problem is that when the chute door is closed, the bag can't be fastened in place. So I'll have to decide whether to go back to the plug (not likely) or fabricate a better design that allows the gate to stay closed and the bag to hang in place when mulching. Not a huge issue.

* Transmission - It seems to work fine with a single speed. You just feather the traction bar and allow it to slip slightly. My men have been doing the same for years with the 21" mowers instead of constantly changing the gears without incident.

* Deck - Sure seems extremely sturdy but the mower is quite heavy. This is not a mower that two people would want to lift in and out of a truck all day.

* Height adjusters - Now these are an improvement over anything Toro has ever done, in my opinion. One quick shift in the front and the same in the back changes the setting for all 4 years. I do, however, worry about the slight sag in the rear height adjustor area. There's a little too much play back there.

* Engine - Mine have the Kawasaki FJ180V motors. These are generally bullet-proof engines, but wow, the RPM's rev WAY up when the blade-brake-clutch kicks in. WAY UP! It's very loud to the point you would want to regularly wear ear plugs when using it.

* Traction Engage - I don't get the need to slide the traction bar to the right slighly before engaging the BBC and transmission. It just required a quick shift of the handle spring and a 1/2 copper sleeve to correct it and still have the mower operating with the safety features in tact.

The bottom line is I've got high hopes for these mowers. Having an employee doing nearly 50% more work (versus a 21") with a mower that takes up far less space and weight in our trailers could render lots of additional income. That's why we do this, right? We'll see how they hold up, but I think the over all design is sound.
Is it worth the extra money for the commercial vs the res?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I've never tried the residential unit, but I do know this Kawi engine. If they hold up even half as well as on the 21" mowers, I think it will be worth having sprung for the commercial models.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

It would be nice if these machines had caster wheels on them.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I would definitely agree with that. But the balance is good on them for making a turn. I would estimate 20-25 pounds of downward force is all it takes to lift the front wheels as high as necessary. Hard to believe, right?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Dave0013 for the valued input, keep it coming, we are all hungry for information. I live in Canada and can't use one until April and can't purchase until March. Thanks again for your valued and honest opinion.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0013 View Post
I would definitely agree with that. But the balance is good on them for making a turn. I would estimate 20-25 pounds of downward force is all it takes to lift the front wheels as high as necessary. Hard to believe, right?
Thank you for the great review Dave. I am thinking of purchasing one of these units but am unsure. I know it's not spring yet but have you noticed any rutting due to the weight of the machine? I bought one of the first exmark metro 26" units in 2005 and I had a big issue with rutting due to the weight of the machine along with numerous other mechanical issues and a lack of horsepower that rendered the machine useless when mulching. I'm not sure if this current machine will fair any better.