Register free!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using them for about 3 years now with no problems. Have not had any fixture go bad yet. However I did have a couple of fixtures out of the box with problems...bad screw tap, cracked lens ect but all it took was one call and a new one was at my office in 3 days. Customer service is awesome. The bullets and MR-16 well lights are great with the exception of the "Fat Boy" seems a bit cheap. I did however use it with their 10W LED Bulb and it has been working fine for 2 years. The integrated LED bullets (Infinity) have a really nice color temp and are impressive fixtures.

If I had to criticize anything it would be their bulbs. The standard MR-16's are too cool, the bi-pins burn out too fast and the LED Bi-Pins are too cool. MR-16 LED are very good. I had 2 out of about 30 burn out after a year but they were replaced by them at no charge. The 2 were down lights on the same tree..not sure why they burned out but possibly too much grease.

The transformers are UL listed, not sure about the fixtures.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

7 percent failure rate is enough to jeopardize your name with a client
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
7 percent failure rate is enough to jeopardize your name with a client
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure what that means. Like I said, the 2 were on the same tree on same line. They may have went out due to another reason like a surge or I was thinking the fixtures got hit with a falling branch after Hurricane Sandy. Not sure.

There warranty beats anyone out there. I used to install Unique and now when I have a bad fixture I have to remove it, bring it to distributor, wait 3-6 weeks to get back refurbished fixture, pick it up, go back and install it. This year I had 4 fixtures to wait for but I just replaced them with new Volt fixtures. I will use the Uniques for demos. By the way, Cast was the same way. Actually cast I believe wanted to charge for repair on a Savhanna..thats the one that they hang a 20lb shade on a 1/4" hollow brass nipple. They had 4 broken ones.

With volt I have not had a problem with any fixture installed so far but all I would do is go to house, call volt, wait 3 days, install new fixture.

Another reason for Volt..aka "the Devil" is the pricing, I do not install lighting exclusively so I found that I was having a hard time selling Cast or Unique when competing with ligthing only compaines due to the high cost. People always had the "while your here" attitude..it should be cheaper. I still use Cast and Unique for certain fixtures that Volt does not make but I know I am getting more jobs while installing irrigation due to the slightly lower cost I am able to offer.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im confused here if we ate talking about heavy duty solid natural copper or brass fixtures what can go bad besides a socket. And if a socket goes bad why does ur client have even 3 days of downtime.

Replace the socket and call it a day
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

You shouldn't have been charged to repair the savannahs. Contact your CAST rep.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just because a fixture is "heavy duty solid natural copper or brass" does not mean much. There is plenty that can go wrong with a fixture, any fixture that has not been designed properly, assembled properly, or one that has lackluster features. Bad lenses, ineffective cheap seals, improper silicone, faulty sockets, poor castings, bad finish, cheap knukles & stems, crimp connectors at the socket to lead wire, cheap hardware.... Lots of things to differentiate a top of the line fixture from all of the rest.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman7 View Post
By the way, Cast was the same way. Actually cast I believe wanted to charge for repair on a Savhanna..thats the one that they hang a 20lb shade on a 1/4" hollow brass nipple. They had 4 broken ones.
There is absolutely no charge to repair any CAST fixture - lifetime warranty on all parts - even the socket. By the way, the brass nipple was changed some time ago - it's much stronger now.

By the way, we also eliminated all our threads at the stake junction - that was a weak point, now it's straight pipe set into a receptacle secured with a thumbscrew.

And, our new stakes all have a slotted wire entry point so you can hammer the stake in place then slip in the fixture.

We also have a running change for large path lights going to our Talon Stake (6" wide cast body with 3 stainless steel prongs - similar to a trident). This thing is a Monster - the path light will never tilt.

Some may not realize that all our products are continuously being improved - thanks to input from the field.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Steve. I would be wary about converting 100% to a trident stake. As good as they are in many soil types, they are simply impossible to use in rugged terrain. Best would be to offer options and let the installer decide.

Regards.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
There is absolutely no charge to repair any CAST fixture - lifetime warranty on all parts - even the socket. By the way, the brass nipple was changed some time ago - it's much stronger now.

By the way, we also eliminated all our threads at the stake junction - that was a weak point, now it's straight pipe set into a receptacle secured with a thumbscrew.

And, our new stakes all have a slotted wire entry point so you can hammer the stake in place then slip in the fixture.

We also have a running change for large path lights going to our Talon Stake (6" wide cast body with 3 stainless steel prongs - similar to a trident). This thing is a Monster - the path light will never tilt.

Some may not realize that all our products are continuously being improved - thanks to input from the field.

Awesome, I love the trident stakes. They work so much better in our local soil here. Thanks for the update.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Hey Steve. I would be wary about converting 100% to a trident stake. As good as they are in many soil types, they are simply impossible to use in rugged terrain. Best would be to offer options and let the installer decide.

Regards.
Thanks James, our talon is extremely strong. It's designed so you can use a mallet to pound it into tough terrains - I would say if you can pound a nail into the ground, then you could get the talon in there as well.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price