Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Just widdle the handle and put it back in the shovel, Ive done that alot.
oke doke....or you can go to Lowes and buy a 16' piece of 1.25 inch conduit and cut it to length and put in with a bolt. Cost about $7. and I don't think it will ever ever break. Isn't that a better deal. I seen about 10 new shovels at our shop ready for the summer run. Next year we aren't going to need any new ones.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with bolting them in is the bolt will wear out and it also sticks out. Welding them whole pipe all the way around and then flap disc sanding it will eliminate those issues. Welding a cap on prevents water getting in and rusting the pipe also.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep thinking I am going to do something like that with mine...I have stacks of broken tools, rakes, shovels, hoes, etc. Broke a hammer handle yesterday, that was a new one.
Mike
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Structron catalog

http://media.midwestrake.com/combine...s-seymour/#/1/

Structron home page/parent company

http://www.seymourmfg.com/

We have been slowly converting all of our hand tools to all Structron. Great quality and the tool is designed to work for you.

Kolbalt is lowes high end brand it is a good shovel and currently we own 3 for over a year. They are highly abused.

A good hand tool will have a steel shank connecting the tool head to the handle. also a hollow fiberglass handle is junk.

We keep a five gallon bucket full of sand and some old oil mixed in. just dunk the tool head in the sand a few times. Cleaned and oiled. no mess.

Also we sharpen all tools when we buy them it makes a big difference. Beware it is also much easy to cut irrigation & utility lines.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbilawncare View Post
The problem with bolting them in is the bolt will wear out and it also sticks out. Welding them whole pipe all the way around and then flap disc sanding it will eliminate those issues. Welding a cap on prevents water getting in and rusting the pipe also.
Yes that would be the correct way good suggestion. I keep avoiding gettig a welder cause just don't understand i could see thru those visors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
Structron catalog

http://media.midwestrake.com/combine...s-seymour/#/1/

Structron home page/parent company

http://www.seymourmfg.com/

We have been slowly converting all of our hand tools to all Structron. Great quality and the tool is designed to work for you.

Kolbalt is lowes high end brand it is a good shovel and currently we own 3 for over a year. They are highly abused.

A good hand tool will have a steel shank connecting the tool head to the handle. also a hollow fiberglass handle is junk.

We keep a five gallon bucket full of sand and some old oil mixed in. just dunk the tool head in the sand a few times. Cleaned and oiled. no mess.

Also we sharpen all tools when we buy them it makes a big difference. Beware it is also much easy to cut irrigation & utility lines.
Well they certainly have almost anything you need. Missed seeing springee rakes. I really like your idea of having a bucket of sand and oil to dip. My sons always keep asking why the shovels in my truck are so sharp. Funny how when you use them in this texas rock how they get sharp.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

its normal too break a shovel ounce and a while, but if your guys are breaking them on a normal basis you should have a talk with them.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Flerb View Post
its normal too break a shovel ounce and a while, but if your guys are breaking them on a normal basis you should have a talk with them.
Most of ours are failures of the wood or fiberglass. I don't think I have ever broke a handle. But darn if I know how to teach somebody how to just stop short of the break point. And it would have to translated. That is why I am putting metal handles in. I stopped and looked at an irrigation crew today and all handles were pipe.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will never buy nice shovels. All mine cost $7.50 and when they break... Soooo what.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
I will never buy nice shovels. All mine cost $7.50 and when they break... Soooo what.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lets see....for a crew of 3 maybe they would have 12 wood handle devices at the start of the season. So that is probably $150 and lets say you go three rounds of breaking. That would be almost $500. And that don't count the fact when someting breaks and you don't have back up who knows what that cost might be. So to cover that we double or tripple the amount of stuff . It is an annoying cost that I intend to fix.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is an example of fiberglass with a core. This shovel was bought last year
Attached Images