Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM

Exclamation The Big Picture for Your Business - Motivation

You are in business. Each day poses new challenges. There is always so much to do and rarely do you have enough time to get it all done. Mother Nature usually doesn't help much either. You have phone calls to make, invoices to send, jobs to bid, employees to deal with and the list goes on and on.

No one ever said owning your own business was easy. If it were, everyone would be an entrepreneur. More importantly, if it were easy, more businesses would remain in business.

But you need to take a step back every now and then - it is important for the health and growth and success of your business.

Why did you get in business for yourself in the first place? When you first started your business, what did you envision your company would become?

I have always felt that true success in business is a combination of two things - education and motivation.

Education

No one wakes up one day and discovered that while sleeping they had the entrepreneurial fairy dust sprinkled all over them. It takes time and effort and certainly a very special kind of person to be an entrepreneur. But those business owners who ultimately succeed are not necessarily the ones with the most money or the best equipment or even the ones who work the hardest. The business owners who truly achieve success in this industry are constantly learning. They figure out ways to do things better, less expensive, more efficient, and more profitable. They read books, they use the internet, they join associations, they read blogs, they seek counsel from experts. Just because something worked well in 1997 doesn't mean it worked well in 2004. And now, with the economoy the way it is, the amount of competition that exists, things that worked in 2004 don't all necessarily work today in 2013. Keep learning.

Motivation

The day to day grind can make it hard to keep pushing forward in the lawn and landscape business. We all need things to help keep us going. We need to do our best to remain motivated and to keep our eye on the prize. Some people do this by watching movies or listening to music or reading inspiring books and quotes from those who have succeeded. One of the best ways to remain motivated or to get even more motivated is to look at the big picture. What do you see your business being - next year, 5 years from now, 20 years from now? What will it look like? How big will it be? How much money will you be making? These kinds of things may sound materialistic, but if you stop and day dream a little, it will help remind yu that you do have a goal and all goals are attainable if you work hard, keep learning and stay motivated.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I really look forward to your Threads Sean... I am one of those long time in the business but new owner guys and there are a couple of guys on here(You, ETW, Pro-Turf, just to name a few) that I just can't help but eat up everything you guys write. One of the biggest lessons that I have learned from you and you re-iterate it here, is EDUCATION. Reading books and scouring the internet can do wonders for your creative thought proccess. I learned about Joe Calloway through ETW's thread and for those of you who don't know who that is..... No, he does not have the best stripes or the biggest trailer... He is a very well respected motivational business speaker. It seems to me that what seperates an average owner/company from a really great owner/company is that the latter will be researching ideas, trying new ideas, moving forward with legit information and a thirst for more... Not just pertinent to landscaping,,,,, but business in general... Thanks again Sean
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
I really look forward to your Threads Sean... I am one of those long time in the business but new owner guys and there are a couple of guys on here(You, ETW, Pro-Turf, just to name a few) that I just can't help but eat up everything you guys write. One of the biggest lessons that I have learned from you and you re-iterate it here, is EDUCATION. Reading books and scouring the internet can do wonders for your creative thought proccess. I learned about Joe Calloway through ETW's thread and for those of you who don't know who that is..... No, he does not have the best stripes or the biggest trailer... He is a very well respected motivational business speaker. It seems to me that what seperates an average owner/company from a really great owner/company is that the latter will be researching ideas, trying new ideas, moving forward with legit information and a thirst for more... Not just pertinent to landscaping,,,,, but business in general... Thanks again Sean
Thank you - I really appreciate that.

Tags
lawnbusinessreport.com , sean adams , thelawnletter.com