Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

pressure regulated rotors -RB5004

Besides cost what is the drawback on using a RB5004 PRS rotor. Seems like the pressure regulator feature would help get consistent patterns as long as you have enough working pressure.

Anybody with good/poor results with them?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you need pressure regulation, do it upstream. A master valve with a regulator add-on is one possibility.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
If you need pressure regulation, do it upstream. A master valve with a regulator add-on is one possibility.
I would agree that is a way to do it also. I'm trying to find the drawback to having it at the valve. Pressure loss from the master valve to the first/last head could have differences (to matter or not is debatable) especially on a non center feed zone.

A system design obviously is key but does the pressure regulated at the rotor improve the system by removing variables?

I have been using PGP's Ultra's with check valves compared to regular PGP's as the cost is not a major difference and I see offering some value. One thing I don't like is the seals as they don't last in our sandy soil.

The RB 5000's have 3 wipers which would seem to hold up longer since there is more of them. I would get them with a check valve but wondering if the PRS is a decent option for the price.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On small sites you can get away with a regulator at the valve. On large commercial sites you may need 100+ psi at the source in order to meet minimum head pressure at the other side of the facility. In that case regulating at the zone valve would be better.

Some would take it further and say you need regulation at the head to account for elevation differences and length on pipe runs within a large zone.

It's a case by case, zone by zone call to make.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
On small sites you can get away with a regulator at the valve. On large commercial sites you may need 100+ psi at the source in order to meet minimum head pressure at the other side of the facility. In that case regulating at the zone valve would be better.

Some would take it further and say you need regulation at the head to account for elevation differences and length on pipe runs within a large zone.

It's a case by case, zone by zone call to make.
What Tex said.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used the RB 5000 PRS SAM on a total head replacement last fall. For what it's worth the price difference was not enough to make or break a deal.

Yes the PGP seals don't last long.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When we go back north in May, I'll design a new series of zones that I'd planned for (main line & wire are there, as well as room at the clock). This is the second upgrade I've done on this system. It was designed to take to take a third clock with plenty of wire all over the place. You guys got to upsell this concept if you think expansion will be in the future .
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 5004 PRS is the only rotor I install as of current, but, im absolutely 110% sure im in my irrigation career "infancy". So its not worth much, and Lowes sells rainbird...maybe not the prs i dont know

I like that you can turn the flow on and off at the head and that its pressure regulated, and the green top better matches the grass.

I can say.....800's pgp's and their knockoff, seem to "stick" , not retract. The 5004 seems to win this competition by being the head I see "stick" the least, i cant recall one. Then again, i see mostly 800's out here, perhaps the proportions arent fair.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

5506SAM w/mpr nozzles. I never used the PRS option, preferring to use a PRV on the zone if needed. These guys are running around 70 psi.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i havent yet seen a picture of washington state that was not beautiful .

and then they drive to arizona for vacation lol