Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stay away from honda turf we have had tons of issues lately! Vanguard is good, but briggs is a little slower on warranty claims. Kawasaki is so much faster on warranty claims and i love their emergency overnite pricing. On the other hand i have less breakdowns with vanguard, and when it happens parts seem to be cheaper, but i have less running around. Nearly all the commercial guys here run kawa cause of their speed and service. I have vanguards on my demoes though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Honda does make commercial ZTR engines but you dont see to many. Some of the best machine work I have ever seen inside of an engine was a Honda. I wish they were more common.

I run all Kawi on my mowers and have a Vanguard on my leaf loader. I wouldnt hesitate to run Vanguard on mowers. I have had problems with Briggs and Kohler in the past.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Stay away from honda turf we have had tons of issues lately! Vanguard is good, but briggs is a little slower on warranty claims. Kawasaki is so much faster on warranty claims and i love their emergency overnite pricing. On the other hand i have less breakdowns with vanguard, and when it happens parts seem to be cheaper, but i have less running around. Nearly all the commercial guys here run kawa cause of their speed and service. I have vanguards on my demoes though
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any of the FX1000V-DFI engines in the field, and if so what has the feedback been?

Bobcat thinks so highly of this engine, that is all they offer in the big block Kawasaki line on their Predator Pro. The Bobcat factory told me it was a no-brainer, the better power and fuel economy, and because of buying in volume let them keep the price very close to the non fuel injected FX1000V, they decided to only offer the fuel injected engine on their Predator Pro.

I personally believe the big block Vanguard is the best engine in the mower industry, but with saying that, I now own a FX1000V (35 hp) Kawasaki on a new 72" Hustler Super Z, and as of right now, it has been very impressive power-wise, but not so, fuel economy wise. I like my older fuel injected mower so much, I told Hustler if they would put a DFI on a 72" Super Z, I would trade mine with less than 50 hrs. as soon as they could ship one to my dealer.

Vanguard is working very hard on a fuel injection system, and they guaranteed me when they implemented fuel injection, it would be flawless. They said it seemed like a slow process, but they were making sure everything was exact before bringing it to the public.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up

Vanguard.
What else is there.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Honda does make commercial ZTR engines but you dont see to many. Some of the best machine work I have ever seen inside of an engine was a Honda. I wish they were more common.

I run all Kawi on my mowers and have a Vanguard on my leaf loader. I wouldnt hesitate to run Vanguard on mowers. I have had problems with Briggs and Kohler in the past.
Posted via Mobile Device
Honda makes ZTR engines ? I cannot find anything on them.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Doubled sorry
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by retrodog; 02-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey puppy. I have a friend up the road that sells bobcat. He had a pp in stock and replaced some parts before selling it on the dfi cause he had trouble just driving it in and out. It ran for 7 hours then the motor put. Then 27 hours something happened to the module. The guy that bought it is pretty upset. I am still pretty nervous on the efi thing, i have my first one in stock here its the kohler 29hp efi. Apparantly that was the the only one that held up to heavy field field testing with the least issues. The bobcat dealer said he would never order another said that was his first and last.... this was last year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Hey puppy. I have a friend up the road that sells bobcat. He had a pp in stock and replaced some parts before selling it on the dfi cause he had trouble just driving it in and out. It ran for 7 hours then the motor put. Then 27 hours something happened to the module. The guy that bought it is pretty upset. I am still pretty nervous on the efi thing, i have my first one in stock here its the kohler 29hp efi. Apparantly that was the the only one that held up to heavy field field testing with the least issues. The bobcat dealer said he would never order another said that was his first and last.... this was last year.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've had an extremely positive experience with my Kohler 28 efi, which has the Bosch components. Kohler now uses Delphi components, which they say is the same as used in our vehicles.

The first 28 efi I owned was on a 2006 Hustler Super Z, and in the 1200 hours it operated, it never failed to crank with the first engine revolution. The engine was extremely responsive (virtually no rpm lag), and the fuel economy was a good 25% better than my Kohler 27 with standard fuel delivery. The engine would start with one engine revolution, no matter if the air temperature was 20° or 100°.

With that being said, I needed to spend a little money for tax reasons; so I had the 2006 mower completely rebuilt, including installing a new 28 efi. I had a leak down test performed, and it showed a problem, I told the mechanic we needed to see the pistons, when the mechanic and I was able to physically look at both cylinders, the #1 had considerable looseness, while the #2 was in good shape. I immediately said that is all I need to see; I will buy a new engine.

I bought a new in-the-box Kohler 28 efi from Small Engine Warehouse for $1289.00, which is totally unheard of. The reason I was able to buy at that price is because they had 27 of these engines they purchased when Great Dane went out of business.

I also bought a new 72" Super Z with the 35 Kawasaki. I had the choice of either when I mowed yesterday, and once again found myself jumping on the old mower.

I was leery of the big block Kawasaki for years, and actually called to talk with them before purchasing my new mower. I was told about the engine's previous problems, and what they had done to alleviate their problems with a new head design.

I was told the engine had been totally bullet proof since making the head change, only time will tell.

Unless something has changed, your Bobcat dealer friend only has the option of selling Predator Pro mowers with the Kawasaki DFI, or special ordering the 33 Generac.

I wish you would call Bobcat and personally ask why they only use the DFI Kawasaki on their Predator Pro, and see if you get the same answer they gave me? Call Tony Webber @ 920-699-5857

Last edited by puppypaws; 02-16-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
Honda makes ZTR engines ? I cannot find anything on them.
Yup, Scag use to offer Honda engines until 2010 or so.
Posted via Mobile Device