Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I agree Puppy, if finish isnt really an issue (like trying to cut down 12" grass) then the machine is great. Can only expect so much!
I will be honest, ryegrass makes a beautiful turf grass, and one that many people in our area overseed with in winter months to maintain a lush green lawn when all other grasses are dormant. The cut the 72 left in this limp, moisture laden grass looked extremely manicured, nothing left standing, and no clippings left inside the cut. I'll try to get a photo when it stops raining.

I've cut with my XR-7 and VX4 side by side, and would need to flip a coin between which looked best. I would say if the XR-7 had the same size discharge, and equal hp, there would be no difference in mowing the thick ryegrass I cut, but the way it was, by being so thick and large, the XR-7 cannot move it out the smaller discharge fast enough, which in return kills the engine power.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

We haven't had any issues out of New Super Z's we've sold. Seems the VX4 does require some "fine tuning", we've had a few customers complain it wasnt as "clean" as some other machine's theyve run. As far as I know we've been able to improve each situation to the point they're at least satisfied. And as stated, no one can touch Hustler for operator experience (seating pos, ride, controls etc).

Should also note we are getting really great feedback on the VX4's from a service standpoint, very little sales of spindle bearings, pulleys, deck belts etc. The new spindles are a noticeable improvement over the XR7 spindles.

Hydro service on the new Super Z is an expensive charge now, one down-side we've encountered.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear Patrick.

What specifically are you doing to "fine tune" the deck?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick @ WandoPower View Post
We haven't had any issues out of New Super Z's we've sold. Seems the VX4 does require some "fine tuning", we've had a few customers complain it wasnt as "clean" as some other machine's theyve run. As far as I know we've been able to improve each situation to the point they're at least satisfied. And as stated, no one can touch Hustler for operator experience (seating pos, ride, controls etc).

Should also note we are getting really great feedback on the VX4's from a service standpoint, very little sales of spindle bearings, pulleys, deck belts etc. The new spindles are a noticeable improvement over the XR7 spindles.

Hydro service on the new Super Z is an expensive charge now, one down-side we've encountered.
What is the charge for complete service of the HyperDrive hydraulic system?

You are 2 1/2 hrs. from me, and live in a location (Charleston, SC) that people further north would give their first newborn to reside in. Charleston is a beautiful and historic area; which produces very mild winter weather, you are fortunate to live there.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Good to hear Patrick.

What specifically are you doing to "fine tune" the deck?
Nothing groundbreaking, as mentioned earlier, the higher lift blades seem to help. We've been using bagging blades as our normal stock blades for the vx4's and no one seems to mind. Definitely want to deck at a bit more rake(lower front) than other models might require. The adjustable baffle is something you just have to play with, but all the way down or middle setting seems to be popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What is the charge for complete service of the HyperDrive hydraulic system?

You are 2 1/2 hrs. from me, and live in a location (Charleston, SC) that people further north would give their first newborn to reside in. Charleston is a beautiful and historic area; which produces very mild winter weather, you are fortunate to live there.
Thanks, we love Charleston, I do feel fortunate to live here. Landscaping is a great business here as well. As far as Hydro service, the Hyperdrive filter is almost $70, and around 11 QT's of Mobil 1 Synthetic 15-50, its going to be around a $250 job. We dont typically do just a hydro service alone so it's hard for me to put my finger on an exact price.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for chiming in Patrick!
Can you give me the details (part no's, brand etc) for those blades please?

When I first got the machine, the dealer didnt check deck level and it had a heavy rake down in front. It is now as per the manual specs. Levelling helped some and gives a flatter finish. The heavy rake caused a lot more scalping and there were times I could actually see the wavy look across the lawn.
Ive tried all settings on the baffle and where I have it now works best for me. (one of the middle settings)

At the end of the day, nothing Ive done has eliminated the clumping problems. Even adding a baffle between the spindle and the discharge chute. Grass still catches but it has reduced the clumping considerably.

What I am glad to hear is that your admitting there is an issue and there are others complaining about it. What you guys need to do now is come up with a real fix. High lift blades and a tested, factory baffle are a good start. Let me know when you come up with one. I'll gladly test it for you, for free!

Heres a pic I took of the baffle just the other day. Where its clean is where the clippings hit it and fly off but, the clippings will sometimes stick (moisture,) build up and drop. Before adding the baffle, clippings would constantly catch there.
Im a realist and understand that long grass will cause issues but when it happens on regular length grass is when I get upset. I never had these problems with the XR7 deck in normal grass. Double cutting areas that shouldnt need double cutting is time consuming and eats into my profit margin.
I really wish you guys could come up with a fix for this. Design a turbo baffle or something.

Edit, Sorry Patrick, I thought you were with Hustler! Thanks for advice etc anyway!
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Mickhippy;4666289]Weve been in drought for the last few months, little growth and very dry. Had zero problems except where grey water is released. Last week we received approx 400mm of rain in 3 or 4 days (and up to 100km/h wind) and showers the last few days so basically, the grass is full of water and growing fast. Like I say, I expect problems when its damp, lush, thick and long but after seeing a Scag TT cutting the same stuff, the VX4 deck isnt as good. The TT was leaving a few clumps but not like what I get.

I havnt had much of an issue for the past few months due to the dry period, but now after the rain and so much grass growth The windrowing is a serious problem! first time I have been able to experiance it since buying.

Looks like theres no solutions as yet Mickhippy?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I havnt had much of an issue for the past few months due to the dry period, but now after the rain and so much grass growth The windrowing is a serious problem! first time I have been able to experiance it since buying.

Looks like theres no solutions as yet Mickhippy?
Can you take a few pics for me mate?
Ive been thinking of you actually, wondering how the machine has been going. Im sorry to hear your having the same issues. Weve had a heap of rain this week, a few showers last week and heavy rain this week with more to come. Basically, its slop out there now. Havent worked all week! I know Im going to have some major windowing next week, or when I can get back onto the lawns. Not looking forward to it!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Can you take a few pics for me mate?
Ive been thinking of you actually, wondering how the machine has been going. Im sorry to hear your having the same issues. Weve had a heap of rain this week, a few showers last week and heavy rain this week with more to come. Basically, its slop out there now. Havent worked all week! I know Im going to have some major windowing next week, or when I can get back onto the lawns. Not looking forward to it!
Yea no problem, will start taking some photos next week, tomorrow day of residential mowing so no ride on. Also I will take some photos of the chute blocker which I made last yr with your advice.

So far has only been 2 weeks of windrowing causing me concern, so havnt yet had any complaints from clients but there is one client in particular Im concerned will comment soon & Its a good job which I cant afford to lose.

It appears to me like the grass is gathering up on top of the blades and then being thrown out in clumps. Im pretty sure I can see the clumps of grass being thrown out and they dont all look as though they are coming from the back end of the chute, some of the clumps seem to be coming out at the front which would indicate to me it may not all be building up at the back of the deck & may actually be building up on top of the blades.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Yea no problem, will start taking some photos next week, tomorrow day of residential mowing so no ride on. Also I will take some photos of the chute blocker which I made last yr with your advice.

So far has only been 2 weeks of windrowing causing me concern, so havnt yet had any complaints from clients but there is one client in particular Im concerned will comment soon & Its a good job which I cant afford to lose.

It appears to me like the grass is gathering up on top of the blades and then being thrown out in clumps. Im pretty sure I can see the clumps of grass being thrown out and they dont all look as though they are coming from the back end of the chute, some of the clumps seem to be coming out at the front which would indicate to me it may not all be building up at the back of the deck & may actually be building up on top of the blades.
There is no reason for a client to realize you're having a problem, raise the deck a little and run back over the windrows to scatter them, if you lose a client because of this small problem, it's your fault, not his.