Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Of course.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Latest Lighting Project...

Been a bit rainy last couple of weeks. Been a blessing after last two years. Not complaining, but made work a little slow. We have been able to whittle out a little bit of maintenance & installation work. Here's a couple pictures of latest lighting job we did. Homeowner has plans to add more fixtures later, but just purchased the house and wanted to add some curb appeal and stay within budget. We also constructed the mailbox with the lighted mailbox block. Last one was a single vertical 4x4 post with a plastic box on top.

Will post some pictures of the backyard when I get chance. That is where we spent most of our time. Still have a few finishing touches to put on it. Also need to straighten up some of the existing windsor block around the tree before we're done. Will be doing some seeding over the disturbed areas this spring, fert & weed treatments. Will also be maintaining this one from now on.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
Been a bit rainy last couple of weeks. Been a blessing after last two years. Not complaining, but made work a little slow. We have been able to whittle out a little bit of maintenance & installation work. Here's a couple pictures of latest lighting job we did. Homeowner has plans to add more fixtures later, but just purchased the house and wanted to add some curb appeal and stay within budget. We also constructed the mailbox with the lighted mailbox block. Last one was a single vertical 4x4 post with a plastic box on top.

Will post some pictures of the backyard when I get chance. That is where we spent most of our time. Still have a few finishing touches to put on it. Also need to straighten up some of the existing windsor block around the tree before we're done. Will be doing some seeding over the disturbed areas this spring, fert & weed treatments. Will also be maintaining this one from now on.
Nice..how do you get wiring over the drive and sidewalks?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Nice..how do you get wiring over the drive and sidewalks?
Normally we bore underneath both. On this install with the existing plant material and with space to bore at a premium on either side of drive, we went over. We came out of the garage into the first wall-mounted fixture and then back into the wall, over the garage door, back down the wall and out into the second mounted fixture. After that, a 1/2" waterproof UF connector gets us out of the bell box and into the ground. 6 - 3 watt LED uplights, 2 - 20 watt incandescant pathlights & 2 - 1 watt LED accent lights for the mailbox. We bored under both sidewalks to get wire to mailbox and left side of the front of the house.

Do y'all do lighting? If so what brand of fixtures do y'all use? We use 90% FX Luminare and a little bit of Vista.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Idk if you posted before, but what piece of equipment do you use to bore with?

Lighting is something I've been looking into, especially because you must have a low voltage license in MN and there are not many companies offering it. The market isnt big yet but I feel it could be a very niche market here. I went to the Kichler LED seminar with my teacher (owns a high end install company) this fall and was very impressed with the technology and how simple the process of installing can be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Idk if you posted before, but what piece of equipment do you use to bore with?

Lighting is something I've been looking into, especially because you must have a low voltage license in MN and there are not many companies offering it. The market isnt big yet but I feel it could be a very niche market here. I went to the Kichler LED seminar with my teacher (owns a high end install company) this fall and was very impressed with the technology and how simple the process of installing can be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Unfortunately we still bore with the old waterhose, pvc pipe, ball valve & jet nozzle method. It can be messy, and can be a pain at times, but it works in our soil. And it's a cheap setup. When I purchase a dingo sometime, I am going to get the boring attachment for it. Even still, to save yourself a lot of headaches (especially under asphalt) you better make sure you are following the grade on the drive and stay far enough below it that you won't damage the base underneath. Concrete not so much an issue, but you still want to have a good depth of coverage by the time you get out on the other side. Don't want it to be right underneath the pavement.

However, most sidewalks we can get under without the water. We have used things as crude as a t-post in hard soil situations. But it works. I've seen things like the "bullet mole" They seem like they would work well. I have learned that boring (especially the long ones under drives) is the epitome of the old saying "prior planning prevents p*** poor performance."

As far as the install process, it is simple, and it fits well as an up-sell on a sprinkler system. Just saw the latest transformers from FX and they have a really cool 2 wire system with different circuits feature on their newest Luxor controller. And surprisingly, its not that much more expensive of a transformer than it's predecessor.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of seed do you plan on putting out? And will you fertilize at the same time or is that necessary? I've always had trouble getting seed to take on lawns, I guess it just takes lots of water.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
What kind of seed do you plan on putting out? And will you fertilize at the same time or is that necessary? I've always had trouble getting seed to take on lawns, I guess it just takes lots of water.
On this lawn, bermuda. Bermuda takes 3x as long to germinate as rye. Rye takes around 7 days, bermuda more like 21+ have to be patient and keep it wet. It does take water. Just instead of infrequent deep waterings like you want for your lawn and plants, you want to have frequent shallow waterings. (The seed is right on top of soil and no root structures. Water that is absorbed by the seed happens very quickly. We will probably water for a few minutes 2-3 times a day. Until we see grass sprouts then back off to 2x per day and then after it can be mowed we will resume a normal watering schedule. Use a good starter fertilizer. Low nitrogen High in phosphorous & a decent supply of potassium.

Remember the elementary rules of Fert. Nitrogen = Vertical plant growth, Phosphorous = fruit production & strong root growth & Potassium = Plant health booster. Make sure you know how much of your desired element you are putting out. The numbers on the bag aren't worth the ink they are written in if you don't know how much of that product you are putting out.