Register free!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Of course too each their own. Sometimes there are correct answers in business and incorrect answers. Usually there are just different answers, not right and not wrong just different.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Down here 38 is about spot on. If less are needed, I'm still there to do cleanup work so that is how it is made up.

Sorry FG.... isn't that what Keith was doing?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post

Nice to see you off the Poll Ticks forum. What do we owe this honor? Can we expect more?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post

He was, but the problem was the customer thought the grass should be cut and he doesn't give a specified amount of cuts, just a range. Again, I'm not knocking him at all, I've just found for me it is better to give an exact number that way the customer has no ground to EXPECT that he should cut more than that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Funny how you specify and preach 38 cuts and "no guessing game" that is as long as it works out in your favor...otherwise you "make it up". I'll stick to my yearly price for lawn service, I know from experience pretty close to how many cuts it will need. Over time it all averages out. I'm not tracking how many cuts I gave and then risking losing a customer over nickel and diming them for a cut or three when I know I cut three less the year before. Plus the time it takes to track and the risk of losing or offending a customer pays for the extra cuts IF YOU DON'T UNDER CUT prices to begin with that is.
I wasn't knocking what you do...not sure where the hostility came from??? I don't make anything up. I give them what they pay for. If 36 cuts happen, they get some time for cleanup work. So they do get their monies worth. I'm just not going to give them an extra 5-6 cuts bc it is a warm winter and things start early. Not sure of your property sizes, but I have some that are an acre and take 2-3 man hours to do....again, I wasn't knocking anyone's practices, just showing that maybe another alternative could have kept a customer that Keith really valued.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Of course too each their own. Sometimes there are correct answers in business and incorrect answers. Usually there are just different answers, not right and not wrong just different.
Yea I agree 100%. I wasn't knocking or bashing anyone's business practices, just trying to show a possible alternative that could possibly work. That is all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In fact, during the freeze winters we had, I spent more time raking and bagging leaves on the services that I would have actually cut, so I actually gave them more than what they paid for. I do give good customers freebies all the time. I have some that nickel and dime me, this, no freebies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
He was, but the problem was the customer thought the grass should be cut and he doesn't give a specified amount of cuts, just a range.

And you do but when not needed you do something else. Where's the difference?

Or, if you would prefer a different angle... when you don't provide your specified number of cuts, what do you tell your client?

I'm not busting your chops, just thought it was an odd response.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They don't ask me anything cause if it doesn't need cut and it's a cut week, I'm still there anyways and I spend that time doing cleanup or whatever there is I can do. Keith's customers thought it should be cut while he didn't, which is fine. People can be loony. But he gives them a range of cuts. If he said 38 for example, they have no room to say well I want it cut. I mean they can say that, but he can pull the agreement out. He obviously is doing other stuff for them, he doesn't just not show up. All I'm saying is I've been vague in agreements when I first started in biz and It cost me having to do a decent amount of stuff that I shouldn't have done, but my agreements weren't specific. So, I got specific. I don't nickel and dime my customers, by any means. I go above and beyond for them. But, I've had winters, more than not, where weekly cutting went into dec and could start as early as feb. that is a lot of extra cutting to do. If you are fine with giving all that away for free, well, by all means. It's a lot different in a fl compared to central and north. Weren't you the guy getting on people for charging too little btw?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you're getting it. Your responses mirror what Keith was saying. You are saying the same thing he did, other than you getting hung on a meaningless number.

Quote:
Where it was 40 to 42 cuts per year, it's more like 45, 46 now. Not on all of them, but a fair number. I do things a bit differently. I don't have a set number of cuts. I do it when it needs it and don't when it doesn't. But I rarely go more than a week without checking on my yards.

Quote:
Down here 38 is about spot on. If less are needed, I'm still there to do cleanup work so that is how it is made up.

---

They don't ask me anything cause if it doesn't need cut and it's a cut week, I'm still there anyways and I spend that time doing cleanup or whatever there is I can do.

And this, totally unnecessary...

Quote:
If you are fine with giving all that away for free, well, by all means. It's a lot different in a fl compared to central and north. Weren't you the guy getting on people for charging too little btw?

Nobody was talking about "giving" anything for free.