Register free!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWTurfguy View Post
If some of these other blenders (Shaws, etc) were capable of blending TCS-quality fertilizer, wouldn't they have been doing it already? What "specs" could JDL possibly be giving them, considering that TCS would have owned the "specs," not JDL.

That's like selling your BMW and telling your KIA salesman that you want your new car to be just like the BMW...
The specs, are based on the types of raw materials used in blending.

LESCO was never blending for the Ag. Market. Since day one, LESCO's customers wanted good clean fert because, they do residential and commercial plus golf. Nothing for farming. They focused on CLEAN fert. Because they had most of that market share business. When LESCO sold its manufacturing plants to TCS. TCS, continued blending clean fert for LESCO/JDL because there market base was still NOT agriculture customers.

With all due respect... Manufacturers of fertilizer for the agriculture business side weren't as picky with the raw materials because they were more interested in price because farmers don't charge for fert app's. It's strictly a cost. Not one to make money with. Just a cost.

At this point. It all has to do with the type of quality requirements they have needed the last 50 years. I feel farmers weren't complaining about the cleanliness of the bag. But more about price. Now these manufacturers will be doing more blending to a larger, different type of blend requirements for people doing production to make money. They just have never focused on, quality raw material. There large customer base, 90% Ag, never cared more than price. Lesco/JDL customers DO. They just need to understand what there large new customer base needs more than price. Buying higher quality materials effects MARGINS, what all businesses live on. To different for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I went to my local JDL this past week and they are all loaded up with the same exact product from the exact same supplier.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfertman View Post
I went to my local JDL this past week and they are all loaded up with the same exact product from the exact same supplier.
My local place had some different looking pre m bags compared to last year. Bag has changed for the new product. Still had bags that looked like last years also. Guessing its old stock.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
My local place had some different looking pre m bags compared to last year. Bag has changed for the new product. Still had bags that looked like last years also. Guessing its old stock.
Posted via Mobile Device
I promise you this. If TCS is no longer the supplier of fertilizer to JDL. All that LESCO/TCS fertilizer sitting on the ground is just a BIG expense. It's also in the way of selling PROFITABLE fert.

I would say all that LESCO fertilizer has become VERY negotiable. I promise, JDL has already said. "Get rid of it. SOON". Play the competition stronger now if you would normally not. They want to move that stuff! Time to get a deal! Even the small guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

we used Lesco for years noticed when JDL bought them prices started to go up and product results and quality went down. we switched to Reinders last year and couldn't be happier.
Exmark Mowers
Wright Mowers
Old 03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have some Shaws brand 26-0-6, 50 pound bag on hand. It has 13 percent XRT poly coated SCU. Partial bag that has been loosely sealed in outside storage since last fall. The Shaws worked fine last fall and is loose not lumpy after storage. Looks fine to me.
I also have some Shaws 23-0-8 with 11.5 percent XRT ploy coated SCU with 0.13 percent dithiopyr, partial bag. Also in outdoor storage for about a year. Still loose and spreadable. Results from last year were fine.

I should point out I got this information from the bag.
Knox Fertilizer Company, Knox Inidana, 46534
EPA Establishment Number, 8378-IN-1. This is the corporate number for a pesticide manufacturing or blending facility, in Indiana.

These are old labels. I think Lesco used the establishment numer 82757-OH-001(M) for Ohio, (possibly this means Maumee Ohio, Andersens).
and 82757-FL-001 (S) for Florida. (Sebring, Florida TCS, I suppose).

In theory, you can check your bags and determine the maker and location of the plant.
I am sure that the specifications and dust control for the Shaws batches going to LescoJDL are different from the agricultural batches, maybe an entirely different production line.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-24-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add