Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Painting your own trucks ...outside

Im rebranding myself and trying to get my company appearance up to par. So I am painting my dump truck this coming spring. The truck is currently red and I will be changing the cab to white and the dump bed to green/blue. I have all the proper equipment to paint the truck (HVLP gun, shop compressor, paints, etc.) The only thing is that I do not have a spray booth. I will be doing the work at a family members gas station but he said i can not do it inside due to overspray on all his equipment.

Now my question is, can I get away with this outside on a calm day. I am by no means looking for a showroom paint job. I just want it to be white and not complete garbage, this way I can put vinyls on it.

also im not so much concerned about the bed as that will probably get beat up anyway.

Any suggestions??
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan to buff it out you might get a satisfactory result. You won't believe how many bugs and things will stick to the paint.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

buy several cheap tarps,and cover everything in the shop then paint it inside .You can paint it outside ,but everything in the air will be landing and sticking on it,and his yard and building will be changing colour as well .
Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Painting it inside is basically out of the question. Its a big shop with a ton of things in it and I dont want to step on anyones toes since they lend me use of the shop when I need it.

Another option I was thinking about was using our 12 X 12 canopy with some plastic sheeting as walls and a filtered intake fan (using home air conditioner filters and a box fan) and an exhaust fan to expel air. Id have to create positive pressure in the canopy with the fans, to keep the walls from sucking in, by running the intake fan on a little faster setting. Obviously Id only be able to cover the cab with this size canopy too.

Does anyone have an experience on this or any tips?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think the canopy sounds like a good solution.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Talk to the paint suppliers in the area. Most likely there are places to rent a booth for a day for a reasonable price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In most areas it's illegal to spray a car or truck outside. That aside I can't imagine getting good results outside. You spray, 5 minutes later a bug lands on the truck and the paint job is ruined. If it were me I'd prep it myself and run it down to Maaco or wherever and have them spray it. They can probably paint it for about what it will cost you in materials, and then you don't have to worry about your family's gas station getting jacked by the EPA.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
In most areas it's illegal to spray a car or truck outside. That aside I can't imagine getting good results outside. You spray, 5 minutes later a bug lands on the truck and the paint job is ruined. If it were me I'd prep it myself and run it down to Maaco or wherever and have them spray it. They can probably paint it for about what it will cost you in materials, and then you don't have to worry about your family's gas station getting jacked by the EPA.
X2. The EPA is nothing to mess with, if they own a gas station i am sure they are familiar with the mess that the EPA could create. Self prep and Maaco it.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee0914 View Post
Im rebranding myself and trying to get my company appearance up to par. So I am painting my dump truck this coming spring. The truck is currently red and I will be changing the cab to white and the dump bed to green/blue. I have all the proper equipment to paint the truck (HVLP gun, shop compressor, paints, etc.) The only thing is that I do not have a spray booth. I will be doing the work at a family members gas station but he said i can not do it inside due to overspray on all his equipment.

Now my question is, can I get away with this outside on a calm day. I am by no means looking for a showroom paint job. I just want it to be white and not complete garbage, this way I can put vinyls on it.

also im not so much concerned about the bed as that will probably get beat up anyway.

Any suggestions??

NO it will look like cr@p do not do a unprotected spray
cheap alternative
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRugvKwdhHQ

http://www.ehow.com/how_5013892_buil...ray-booth.html

Sorry to pop your bubble I have seen cars painted like what you want to do you will spend more time trying to buff bugs dirt over spray then building a cheap spray booth that you have no wind or bugs dirt.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Joee,

I was thinking of repainting mine as well. I do have a yard where I park and nothing would be damaged. Maybe if we worked together we could set up a temporary spray booth and do all our trucks. Im looking to redo my dump bed on my single axle black. Paint my utility bed black and cab blue, then reletter. Ill pm you my info if you want to figure something out.

Chuck

Custom Masonry and Landscape Construction

Tags
hvlp , paint , truck