Register free!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
i agree w turf dog. i spot sprayed fescue In a bermuda lawn with celcius 3 weeks ago and its dead now. it just takes longer but it seemed to work fine for me
The part about how long it takes for activity in cool weather is the main issue, I think. It also looks like Bayer saw this and made a thinly veiled attempt to correct it. Look at the 3 active ingredients in Celsius:

Iodosulfuron: an ALS inhibitor (which are notoriously slow in cool weather). WHen you dig into the physiology, as soon as Iodosulfuron is taken up into a plant, it is metabolized into metsulfuron, water, and carbon dioxide. So, it's no different than applying Manor, except that it's more expensive.

Thiencarbazone: a PPO inhibitor that causes some contact membrane disruption. This one's no different than carfentrazone (Quicksilver), but a lot more expensive.

Dicamba: You'll see this carboxylic acid in most of your standard 3-way mixes, since it has reasonably quick activity on perennnial weeds and legumes (think dandelions and clovers) in cool weather.

To get the same spectrum of control, you could mix your own Manor and dicamba for a lot less money -- or you could add your own PPO inhibitor of choice to get the quick symptomology you're looking for.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I am going to have to disagree about not using Celcius now. I will say I do start a tad later than some of you [last week of Feb] but this is what I use for my first round. It might take a little longer to notice the weeds dying but they do dye and just not have the tops burned. It is safe for transitioning Bermuda and St Augustine [way easier on these than a 24d mix] and if they happen to have some Poa, Clump Fescue, Rye, Rescuegrass, ect... it helps these transition faster at lower temps. I can still get two blanket sprays if needed, one now and one in June. Those two will keep my lawns looking good until I spray Simazine in Oct. I also like the fact that Celcius has some residual/pre properties to it. BTW, I like to use the medium rate with MSO.
When you say your are doing blanket sprays what type of equipment at you using to apply these blankets apps?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
The label says you can add Octane if it's cooler, have you ever tried that? It is supposed to be comparable to speedzone when done like this.
I have not, but personally I am not all that opposed to a slower kill. When I can run one herbicide in the early Spring and kill more than just some easy broadleaves with something that seems easy on the transitioning Bermuda and especially St Augustine I do not mind waiting a couple of weeks.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
When you say your are doing blanket sprays what type of equipment at you using to apply these blankets apps?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mainly my Permagreen and also my engine driven backpack with two AI nozzles. At the moment my Permagreen is down and also the backpack so unless I get the PG going it looks like I will be using my skid, but I am very tempted to order the Tee Jet Widejet gun [I think that is what it is called].
Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What happened to the engine drive backpack? That was the Maruyama clone, right? I have a boomless nozzle that I hardly use. The spray pattern is nothing like a set of fan nozzles on a boom in terms of consistency of spray deposit and drift control. I have used this set up for straight fertilizer and non crop herbicides in wide open fields. Not really something I would trust on a lawn that cannot be yellowed or marked up. Celsius is pretty forgiving on lawns, but I am always nervous about what is downwind of it. If iodosulfuron metabolizes to metsulfuron flowers, trees and shrubs are in danger. On big lawns, I feel much safer using the skid sprayer to power my 3 nozzle boom. If they are big enough to drive on, they are done with the 10 ft boom on the truck.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya'll talk too technical for us new applicators.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This what kills me, 90% of applicators have no idea how theses products work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's why we read and learn. No one starts out knowing what it's all about. Some may not take the time to learn right, but there is no stupid questions when your wanting to do things the right way.

Also, most of the tech knowledge is and should be up to the manufacturer, then we in turn use the products that will do what we need. A race car driver doesn't have to know exactly makes his car run fast.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to have to agree with winstarblazer on this one. I try to suck up as much knowledge as I can here on LS. I am tryin to intern with a guy that has a squirt and fert down here near me, but I do have a full time job that I am obligated to and he doesn't work weekends from the looks of things.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What happened to the engine drive backpack? That was the Maruyama clone, right? I have a boomless nozzle that I hardly use. The spray pattern is nothing like a set of fan nozzles on a boom in terms of consistency of spray deposit and drift control. I have used this set up for straight fertilizer and non crop herbicides in wide open fields. Not really something I would trust on a lawn that cannot be yellowed or marked up. Celsius is pretty forgiving on lawns, but I am always nervous about what is downwind of it. If iodosulfuron metabolizes to metsulfuron flowers, trees and shrubs are in danger. On big lawns, I feel much safer using the skid sprayer to power my 3 nozzle boom. If they are big enough to drive on, they are done with the 10 ft boom on the truck.
Here is the wand I was thinking about http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=71

I will PM you about the backpack later.