Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How to organize extra stuff in your truck

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about the stuff to keep in your truck. How do y'all organize all of that stuff in your truck? I am thinking about getting a under the seat pull out tray for my back seat, just wanted to see what everyone else was doing. My back seat has so much stuff on it its ridiculous, but there's nowhere else for it to go. I keep my tools and such in a mechanics tool box in the bed, but some stuff needs to stay inside the cab.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Right now everything is in back seat all tools and stuff is in tool bag or box but it just piled in. I am debating if i wantvto buy a tool box or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I am too. I'm not crazy about a tool box because it does take up room in the bed. But it has crossed my mind.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a tool box under the back seat on one side that keeps a tow chain and tie downs, on the other side I have another tool box that keeps a tool kit, tire plugs and other misc items. I dont keep anything big or bulky so they both slide under the back seat and the seats still stay clear to keep the truck clean.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

omg i got so much schit idk what to do with it

The center console is full.
I have a truck box, it's full.
I have a ladder rack, two ladders on top of it.
I have a 6-tube "fishing pole" rack for hand tools (like rakes, shovels), and that's full.
The back of the bed of the truck is full of crap.
The back seat of the truck (and that floorboard) is a mess.
Do NOT open the glove box, don't do it!
It's on the passenger side seat, and floorboard, too!

wtf!

But hey the dashboard's still free of clutter omg I has an idea arrrrrrggg
Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Get a truck bed tool box, the one that sits on the sides and has like 4-6 inches of room underneath it. Your weedeater heads and blower tubes will still fit under there, and I'm not sure what else you need to put in your bed, but go with a tool box. It's a must.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT's 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
Get a truck bed tool box, the one that sits on the sides and has like 4-6 inches of room underneath it. Your weedeater heads and blower tubes will still fit under there, and I'm not sure what else you need to put in your bed, but go with a tool box. It's a must.
Yeah no doubt, you can find them used because it's not a machine so unless it's in bad shape they're just as good as new, I know they run two three hundred new but if you look around I dare say you can find one used for $50 or even less, don't think I've ever paid for one they come with the truck and I re-use them too, might re-consider your choice if the latches aren't working but they're not hard to find.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This will depend greatly on how you use your truck.

I have an F-250, 8 ft bed, reg cab. I put a cap on the back. The primary thing on the trailer is mowers, ladders (only when needed), and perhaps a trash barrel from time to time. All else is stowed in the truck.

Under the cap, I have a two level storage arrangement. The cap is cab height. I built a platform at the top of the truck bed. It is simple, 2X4 across, resting on the rails. I put plywood sheets over the 2X4, and added some vertical dividers (8" high). From right to left - Stihl FC85 edger, FS90 trimmer, BG86 hand blower. The dividers keep these tool in their rightful place. A stop at the front insures the tools don't slide forward when stopping. These three compartments take up about half of the width. On the left, I put HS80 hedge clipper, long handled leaf rakes (wide heads at the front where they have room), long handled fork that is used often, and a silage fork. Also, stowed here are folded tarps.

Underneath, on the bed floor, is a compartment with 12" high sides, positioned near the center. In here are all my hand tools (shovels, hoes, etc - nothing with a wide head). Also, slipped in the rear is a fuel can, and chain saw. On the right side are a couple of milk-crate type containers with odd things - ropes, tie downs, spare belts, pulleys. There is room for hydraulic jack, sledge hammer, bow saws. Allso, a tub containing sharpened blades - held vertically). On the other side are a couple of buckets with chains, winch, another with hand tools - such as pruners, and three large tool boxes.

No, not the ideal setup, but I know where everything is located in an instant. I work solo, so nobody else puts anything back in the wrong place.

The cap provides a secure, weather-tight place for all these items. The cap has a lock, and the end gate locks. Nothing is kept in the cab, except gloves, and extra clothes stowed behind the seat.

Interesting, ... we all have similar needs, but find many ways to accomplish the same thing.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys that don't use the bed of your trucks for hauling grass have it made. We use dump beds here so there's no place in the bed for tools. That's where the grass goes! I have 2 big under body boxes on mine, mostly filled with irrigation repair supplies. The truck is a reg. Cab so i have a console box that sits on the seat in the center and behind the seat i keep what i have to have for dot stuff and a first aid kit, jacket, gloves etc. Everything else goes on the trailer...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also you can get a tongue box for your trailer....helps a lot!

Jason