Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a toro commericial with a honda engine, I cut 3 yards with it and had to fight the dealer to take it back. It leaked gas on hilly yards, I was told it had to do with the design and it would continue to do this. I would stay away from the honda engine if you're going to use on anything hilly. I waited over a year and now have 2 exmarks with the kawi engine, no complaints. I also have the kawi engine on a deere but I like the exmarks much better.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx4exmark View Post
I had a toro commericial with a honda engine, I cut 3 yards with it and had to fight the dealer to take it back. It leaked gas on hilly yards, I was told it had to do with the design and it would continue to do this. I would stay away from the honda engine if you're going to use on anything hilly. I waited over a year and now have 2 exmarks with the kawi engine, no complaints. I also have the kawi engine on a deere but I like the exmarks much better.

Do you recall which model of toro you had? I want to research this. Thank you for the reply.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a Honda HRC 216 for around 12-13 years and have never done any thing except change plugs, oil and blades... I'ts the perfect mower!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also the Snapper pro I had before this broke in two in 3 days of light use... Now I know this was around 13-15 years ago but when you get abad tast in your mouth you don't go back... Also had a very bad dealer here in Dothan...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanncann View Post
Also the Snapper pro I had before this broke in two in 3 days of light use... Now I know this was around 13-15 years ago but when you get abad tast in your mouth you don't go back... Also had a very bad dealer here in Dothan...
I hear ya. I had a bad taste for Ford and GM. I currently drive an F150 and am going to take a serious look at the chevy cruze diesel when it comes here in a few months. I guess every manufacturer can have a bad run. Maybe ill get the snapper with the Honda engine and call it a day. Lol. I need to remember that my propensity for overkill can get in my way. I can say with the utmost certainty that I won't ever grow this side business more then 20 lawns a week, so if taken care of, most anything SHOULD last me longer then it would most of you guys. I just won't put the hours on it, or so it would seem.

Since I am not a bagger, it would seem the Snapper Commercial Ninja might be the mower for me. My local dealer seem like quality people and have been very helpful in the past. Only problem is the ninja only comes with a Briggs professional series motor.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Go with the commercial Snapper 21'' with the Honda. It's what I use now, and those things are bullet proof. Got to love a push mower with steel wheels! The disk drive is good too. That's what I'd go with.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I had the commercial 21, below is the engine I had on it. I believe it was in 2010, the dealer at the time told me that all the honda ohv engines leaked gas on hills, but the grade had to be extreme. I personally didn't think they were extreme, I initially had them replace the carb and I cut my own yard and it leaked immediately.

Commercial-grade Engine
Honda® GSV 190 overhead valve commercial engine, equipped with an industry-leading 1" (25 mm) crankshaft to handle the rigors of commercial use.