Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actual truck lettering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
Spring boom is upon us, before I can't be without the diesel for a few hours, I finally got the decals done.
Here is a picture of how the truck lettering actually turned out. Stopped by to pick it up and they were pealing the "Proscapes" off of it. She thought it was too small in the original and was enlarging it. Came back a couple of hours later and she was right. Looks much better. Was very pleased.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice and simple, I like it. What did that run if you don't mind? I know were on opposite ends of the country but I haven't gotten any quotes yet for graphics on my truck as it's winter and I cannot afford to have my truck gone for 2-3 days while it gets graphics installed.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
On this lawn, bermuda. Bermuda takes 3x as long to germinate as rye. Rye takes around 7 days, bermuda more like 21+ have to be patient and keep it wet. It does take water. Just instead of infrequent deep waterings like you want for your lawn and plants, you want to have frequent shallow waterings. (The seed is right on top of soil and no root structures. Water that is absorbed by the seed happens very quickly. We will probably water for a few minutes 2-3 times a day. Until we see grass sprouts then back off to 2x per day and then after it can be mowed we will resume a normal watering schedule. Use a good starter fertilizer. Low nitrogen High in phosphorous & a decent supply of potassium.

Remember the elementary rules of Fert. Nitrogen = Vertical plant growth, Phosphorous = fruit production & strong root growth & Potassium = Plant health booster. Make sure you know how much of your desired element you are putting out. The numbers on the bag aren't worth the ink they are written in if you don't know how much of that product you are putting out.
Great advice, thanks. I've always heard it this way...Nitrogen=Leaves/Blades, Phosphorus= Blooms, and Potassium = roots. Maybe that's erroneous though.

What fertilizer are you going to be putting out this spring? We put out a 5-20-20 this last fall on some stuff and that's what we will use in the fall from now on, I think we are going to use a 4-3-2 this spring.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably a 25-0-0 with micros or 28-3-10 both 50% slow release. Which one depends on soil report recomendations. Most places in my service area are sufficient in phosphorous and potassium. But sometimes P & K aren't available for the plant. Hince the 28-3-10. We are picking up 3 large properties that I may spray with 47-0-0 urea to pop it right after scalping. Have to be carefull with the straight urea. Can burn a property very quickly if done incorrectly.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You doing a lot of advertising right now?
Do you soil test every property? That would get to be a pain if you have a lot of properties.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
You doing a lot of advertising right now?
Do you soil test every property? That would get to be a pain if you have a lot of properties.
We really haven't done that much advertising. Probably about to get some shirts made for the crew, friends & family. And thinkning about having the enclosed wrapped. Other than that, I've been trying to keep my facebook updated and thats it. We really need to update website with pictures of most recent work.

As the soil tests are concerned we try to soil test every new property. After you have one on a property, they tend to stay pretty close to the same except for Nitrogen content. You're right we don't have time for an exact science, but I do like to have some idea of what I am working with.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool. I've been terrible about keeping my FB page up. The shirts really have helped us, makes for a more professional image.
How many accounts are you up to now?
That's a good rule of thumb. I may have to start doing that at some point.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
Cool. I've been terrible about keeping my FB page up. The shirts really have helped us, makes for a more professional image.
How many accounts are you up to now?
That's a good rule of thumb. I may have to start doing that at some point.
We are currently maintaining 12 residental accounts, 1 appartment complex, (will be picking up a second appartment complex after it is finished being built this summer), 2 single site commercial accounts, 3 institutional & 1 multi-site commercial accounts. We are currently bidding 2 other multi-site commercial accounts (number of sites ranging from 4-12). My goal is to have a dedicated 3 man maintenance crew this year. So far we are on track to make that happen. We also have 4 weeks worth of install work lined up, if it will ever give us a break in the rain. Don't wanna complain after last few years, but kinda in a funk right now. Have 2 jobs that only lack the details of getting completed and about the time they dried out enough to finish up, we get more rain. Today's wind kept us from spraying any yards so we were kinda like the israelites in the wilderness today. We were still able to get some things accomplished.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Numbers don't sound like much, but our institutionals are quite large. Each of the 3 takes 1/2 day a peice by the time we tend to beds, shrubs, mowing, trash/debris etc... The multi-site commercial we currently have takes a whole day on one site a lone and takes another 1/2 day for the other three sites that goes a long with it. We can crank through the resi's pretty quickly.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to hear. I a few more residential accounts than that but don't have near the commercial, only have 2. One is very small and the other one takes around 8 man hrs. Both are full service. I hope to have a mow crew (or even one guy) out doing maintenance for me this year. Concentrating on more residential accounts right now but hope some more commercial will come my way. Any tips as far as how you got commercial accounts?