Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

get one before the next gen emissions that require the truck to drive around within its own big plastic bubble.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
get one before the next gen emissions that require the truck to drive around within its own big plastic bubble.
haha thats funny! but I agree with him!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I would personally like to stay under 10k with as few miles as possible but I also know that's rare these days. I have been looking for a 7.3 truck and I have looked at a 1500 Chevy with a 4.8 in it. Still lots of looking to do.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 7.3 is great. The power in a diesel is so easy to love. Since gas has gone up so much (after the election what a coincidence) lately, based solely on fuel savings I would go with diesel. If you asked me this like 2 months ago when gas was $3/gal I would say go Gas so who the hell knows. Lots of factors come in to play.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Too many factors, I am done turning grey and I am about to pull it all out. I have a good friend that owns a lot and he is gonna get me something at auction when I get it narrowed down but right now I am more confused than a newborn in a topless bar.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say depending on how much you want to spend and how long you will keep your vehicle would factor what u get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The diesel wins in every category for me except the fact that starting and stopping the motor 12-15 times a day will cut the life expectancy of the diesel. Im certainly not going to let my truck idle for 30 minutes while I mow either, thats not good for it either.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

guess im the only one that disagrees

I have a 97 powerstroke diesel. Everyone swears by them. I swear I wont own another one I can tell ya that. Every time I turn around its something else with that thing. These trucks of the old body style only had I think 195hp..... We have several 6.0 litre gassers. Never need maintanance like the diesel. Im all about whats easiest and needs the least amount of maintanance. When you get a miss in a gasser its always something simple and cheap. Diesel another thing as Ive learned the hard way.

Im not doubting what everyone is saying about Diesel power.... I know I have the dog of all dogs when it comes to diesel power. Hell I had a 80hp towing chip burned for it and my chevys still pull hills just as good. Fuel mileage on the gassers are worse but it all evens out when you gotta do a freakin injector job on a diesel and unless your buying cummins your gonna be doing injectors sooner or later. IM TALKING ABOUT IN HIS PRICE RANGE OF 10k..........

With all this being said im pulling 6,000lbs or less all the time. Im not saying my gassers will out do diesels by any stretch but if all your planning on doing is some grass mowing, gas is just fine. Has been for us for YEARS.....

Also what the fella said above. We start and shut our trucks off on average 20 times per day and Ive gotta have the starter in the Diesel rebuilt every year it seems........... Those 7.3's are some starter eatin SOBS.......

Last edited by mowcrazy; 02-18-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
The 7.3 is great. The power in a diesel is so easy to love. Since gas has gone up so much (after the election what a coincidence) lately, based solely on fuel savings I would go with diesel. If you asked me this like 2 months ago when gas was $3/gal I would say go Gas so who the hell knows. Lots of factors come in to play.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Ill tell ya something that I find crazy........ Everyone talks about these diesels doing so much better on fuel and Im not saying for the average person the mileage savings wouldnt show.........

I average right at 10 mpg with my 7.3 powerstroke but my uncle which drives like a grandpa (mows because hes retired and bored) has a 2008 chev 1500 with the 5.3 and gets 14 hand calculated...... I have seen this calculation. This is pulling a 16ft open with 48 exmark 60" exmark and 61" tiger cat......

We took this truck to ky speedway once and hand calculated it got 17.9 mpg...... I cant get that out of my 7.3 if it were being pushed downhill!!!! LOL

With all this being said, a normal person such as myself that wants to get work done and has better things to do than drive 45 in a 55 like he does would prolly get a lot less out of this truck when pulling a trailer. He babies that thing so much just trying to get super mileage..... Makes fun of me when my mileage is way worse than his.... LOL
Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Ill tell ya something that I find crazy........ Everyone talks about these diesels doing so much better on fuel and Im not saying for the average person the mileage savings wouldnt show.........

I average right at 10 mpg with my 7.3 powerstroke but my uncle which drives like a grandpa (mows because hes retired and bored) has a 2008 chev 1500 with the 5.3 and gets 14 hand calculated...... I have seen this calculation. This is pulling a 16ft open with 48 exmark 60" exmark and 61" tiger cat......

We took this truck to ky speedway once and hand calculated it got 17.9 mpg...... I cant get that out of my 7.3 if it were being pushed downhill!!!! LOL

With all this being said, a normal person such as myself that wants to get work done and has better things to do than drive 45 in a 55 like he does would prolly get a lot less out of this truck when pulling a trailer. He babies that thing so much just trying to get super mileage..... Makes fun of me when my mileage is way worse than his.... LOL
There is plenty you can do to your 7.3 to make it much better on your wallet. 10 is bad. 16 is a realistic goal.
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
2 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator