Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,260
get one before the next gen emissions that require the truck to drive around within its own big plastic bubble.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Green-Man Green-Man is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
get one before the next gen emissions that require the truck to drive around within its own big plastic bubble.
haha thats funny! but I agree with him!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Ray_Lawns's Avatar
Ray_Lawns Ray_Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE AL
Posts: 125
I would personally like to stay under 10k with as few miles as possible but I also know that's rare these days. I have been looking for a 7.3 truck and I have looked at a 1500 Chevy with a 4.8 in it. Still lots of looking to do.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM
skorum03 skorum03 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 343
The 7.3 is great. The power in a diesel is so easy to love. Since gas has gone up so much (after the election what a coincidence) lately, based solely on fuel savings I would go with diesel. If you asked me this like 2 months ago when gas was $3/gal I would say go Gas so who the hell knows. Lots of factors come in to play.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
__________________
2000 Silverado Half ton 4x4
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4
2001 Ford F250 PSD w/8ft Western Ultra Mount
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Ray_Lawns's Avatar
Ray_Lawns Ray_Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE AL
Posts: 125
Too many factors, I am done turning grey and I am about to pull it all out. I have a good friend that owns a lot and he is gonna get me something at auction when I get it narrowed down but right now I am more confused than a newborn in a topless bar.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Green-Man Green-Man is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 632
I would say depending on how much you want to spend and how long you will keep your vehicle would factor what u get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 AM
LandFakers's Avatar
LandFakers LandFakers is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 5,692
The diesel wins in every category for me except the fact that starting and stopping the motor 12-15 times a day will cut the life expectancy of the diesel. Im certainly not going to let my truck idle for 30 minutes while I mow either, thats not good for it either.
__________________
Rob

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
mowcrazy mowcrazy is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgetown ohio
Posts: 510
guess im the only one that disagrees

I have a 97 powerstroke diesel. Everyone swears by them. I swear I wont own another one I can tell ya that. Every time I turn around its something else with that thing. These trucks of the old body style only had I think 195hp..... We have several 6.0 litre gassers. Never need maintanance like the diesel. Im all about whats easiest and needs the least amount of maintanance. When you get a miss in a gasser its always something simple and cheap. Diesel another thing as Ive learned the hard way.

Im not doubting what everyone is saying about Diesel power.... I know I have the dog of all dogs when it comes to diesel power. Hell I had a 80hp towing chip burned for it and my chevys still pull hills just as good. Fuel mileage on the gassers are worse but it all evens out when you gotta do a freakin injector job on a diesel and unless your buying cummins your gonna be doing injectors sooner or later. IM TALKING ABOUT IN HIS PRICE RANGE OF 10k..........

With all this being said im pulling 6,000lbs or less all the time. Im not saying my gassers will out do diesels by any stretch but if all your planning on doing is some grass mowing, gas is just fine. Has been for us for YEARS.....

Also what the fella said above. We start and shut our trucks off on average 20 times per day and Ive gotta have the starter in the Diesel rebuilt every year it seems........... Those 7.3's are some starter eatin SOBS.......

Last edited by mowcrazy; 02-18-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 PM
mowcrazy mowcrazy is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgetown ohio
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
The 7.3 is great. The power in a diesel is so easy to love. Since gas has gone up so much (after the election what a coincidence) lately, based solely on fuel savings I would go with diesel. If you asked me this like 2 months ago when gas was $3/gal I would say go Gas so who the hell knows. Lots of factors come in to play.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Ill tell ya something that I find crazy........ Everyone talks about these diesels doing so much better on fuel and Im not saying for the average person the mileage savings wouldnt show.........

I average right at 10 mpg with my 7.3 powerstroke but my uncle which drives like a grandpa (mows because hes retired and bored) has a 2008 chev 1500 with the 5.3 and gets 14 hand calculated...... I have seen this calculation. This is pulling a 16ft open with 48 exmark 60" exmark and 61" tiger cat......

We took this truck to ky speedway once and hand calculated it got 17.9 mpg...... I cant get that out of my 7.3 if it were being pushed downhill!!!! LOL

With all this being said, a normal person such as myself that wants to get work done and has better things to do than drive 45 in a 55 like he does would prolly get a lot less out of this truck when pulling a trailer. He babies that thing so much just trying to get super mileage..... Makes fun of me when my mileage is way worse than his.... LOL
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
precision8m's Avatar
precision8m precision8m is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Ill tell ya something that I find crazy........ Everyone talks about these diesels doing so much better on fuel and Im not saying for the average person the mileage savings wouldnt show.........

I average right at 10 mpg with my 7.3 powerstroke but my uncle which drives like a grandpa (mows because hes retired and bored) has a 2008 chev 1500 with the 5.3 and gets 14 hand calculated...... I have seen this calculation. This is pulling a 16ft open with 48 exmark 60" exmark and 61" tiger cat......

We took this truck to ky speedway once and hand calculated it got 17.9 mpg...... I cant get that out of my 7.3 if it were being pushed downhill!!!! LOL

With all this being said, a normal person such as myself that wants to get work done and has better things to do than drive 45 in a 55 like he does would prolly get a lot less out of this truck when pulling a trailer. He babies that thing so much just trying to get super mileage..... Makes fun of me when my mileage is way worse than his.... LOL
There is plenty you can do to your 7.3 to make it much better on your wallet. 10 is bad. 16 is a realistic goal.
__________________
2005 Isuzu NPR turbo diesel 16' box
2004 Ram 1500 Hemi
2000 Ram 2500 24 valve CTD
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
2 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.08657 seconds with 9 queries