Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
Good to hear. I a few more residential accounts than that but don't have near the commercial, only have 2. One is very small and the other one takes around 8 man hrs. Both are full service. I hope to have a mow crew (or even one guy) out doing maintenance for me this year. Concentrating on more residential accounts right now but hope some more commercial will come my way. Any tips as far as how you got commercial accounts?
Establish a reputation and let it do the talking. We really haven't advertised much at all other than Facebook, one newspaper ad and the website. We are going to give the yellowpages a spin this year. To date, I have picked up 1 job off of facebook, no jobs directly off of the website and all of the other ones strictly by word of mouth. Customer has to know without a doubt that they are putting their property in the most capable hands that fit in their budget. There are many jobs, we don't fit the budget, but we get a lot of jobs, because of reputation and experience. (In this I will say that the college degree does help tremendously. It would take years to acquire a great portion of the knowledge I learned through my bachelors degree. I would also say that I learned just as much (if not more) while working (during college) at a golf course & irrigation supply house.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny that you just posted that, because I just started a thread about different landscape degree programs out there. I'm trying to find something online based....there's no way I can give up my business and go to school (nor do I have the desire to do so).
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Designs

Here are two designs we have lined up. Not very large on either one. But thought I would poll... Color or no color on prints. I have heard it said that color looks amateur and on the other hand, I have had customers like the colors on the plant symbols. These were generated on Pro Contractor Studio. I know it is not as "cool" to look at as some, but I am pleased with it for the price and also really like it's irrigation side of the program. Has already made me look really good for one inspector.

Both are just front yards. The first one has plans of installing a pool in the backyard. We should get the install surround that. And the other is probably doing front this year and back next year. And of course I would pick 2 that have the same type of water feature in it. Oops. Plant material is totally different with the two jobs and style of pottery is totally different as well.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf D20.pdf (420.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf Design.pdf (247.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice! I am going to have to look into that. Do you have both the irrigation (rain cad) and the pro contractor studio?
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
That's funny that you just posted that, because I just started a thread about different landscape degree programs out there. I'm trying to find something online based....there's no way I can give up my business and go to school (nor do I have the desire to do so).
I didn't want to, but I chose a school 4 hours away. Glad I did it. My business wouldn't be supporting my wife and I if I wouldn't of.

I would doubt you would find anything online. Your learn more in your labs with hands-on work. You don't have to give-up your business. Nachadoches isn't that far away from Longview. Go to SFA. You can sometimes schedule classes where they are only on Tuesday and Thursday. That's the way to go. Leaves lots of time to work.

One man's opinion, but I wouldn't waste my time on an online program. I don't know they may be out there and they may be great. But thinking of what I picked up during school, 90% was affirmed in labs. Don't think I would know how to apply what I learned without labs.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I might add, you can do very well in this business without a degree. There are many on here that do very well without. But, personally, I wouldn't be in as good of shape with my new business without.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Talking about degrees.

You may think this sounds crazy, but after years in this field I think it is best to get a business degree if you are going to have your own company. If you plan on working for someone else the horticulture degree would be the way to go.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can agree with that to a point... My degree program did have some business and accounting courses mixed in, but there are days I wish I would of taken more. It all depends on if I have been out on a job more that day or in a desk chair preparing for quarterly reports. However all of that said I don't ever regret my time spent at Tarleton.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Talking about degrees.

You may think this sounds crazy, but after years in this field I think it is best to get a business degree if you are going to have your own company. If you plan on working for someone else the horticulture degree would be the way to go.
Mikegyver, You could most likely get a business degree online and do well with it. Turf Dawg, How many years since you graduated and how many years in business?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on your mindset for school. I'm going for a Hort degree and will graduate this spring. I've taken numerous business & accounting classes as accounting is what I was originally going to major in. I have a great knowledge of business, running a business, and treating this as a business and getting out of the field as soon as possible, however I wanted to to learn the in depth Hort aspect and will then be able to pass on some of that knowledge to employees in the field.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.