Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Spray round up now, flail blade it aggressively to level or Harley rake then seed...?

Hit this with round up now, flail blade it aggressively to level or Harley rake then seed or other options....?

Just took these pics yesterday. This area has pasture grass, fair amount of dandelions and I’d like to switch it all over to turf grass to match the grass closer to the house. Yes this is my residence. Once the busy season hits I will essentially zero time to monkey with it.

Spray roundup now or other options....?

Last pic that shows soccer goal show desirable grass foreground currently near the house. Pasture grass is in the area where trampoline is.
Attached Images

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd wait for it to greenup before roundup... Let us know if you get a good kill on dormant grasses...

That is still an unanswered question...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was hoping on using frost heaves to work in the new grass seed from now till March. Spring rain would take it from there.

Even in the main lawn area there are spots of pasture grass that grow at a faster rate than the turf grass and the only way I have thought of eradication of that is using roundup on a paint brush to hit the taller blades so the turf grass can suppress it completely. Never done that as of yet...very labor intensive.

If $ was no object I'd rent a BobCat with a harely rake attachment as long as the weather isn't to wet and do a level grind combo. Gather up pasture grass clumps.

What is more reasonable is adding a 6-10' strip to existing grass area and just do it with verticut bar and flail blade combo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a Sat pic of the area.

Area inside red lines is what I might just do with the equipment I have.
Attached Images

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea about the frost heaving the soil to sow the seed... my main issue with pasture grasses is that they will always come back, until they are completely killed...
Even removing the top few inches of 'crowns and rhizomes' with a bobcat,,, may not be enough to eliminate the pasture grasses completely...

RU should not affect the seed at all... You might want to sow the seed now and let the freeze/thaw cycle plant it for you, and as the grass greens up continue to spray the RU, until the seedlings emerge...
In theory,,, by the time the soil is warm enough to actually germinate the seed,,, all of your old grasses have greened up and been killed...
You would also have the added advantage of their dead bodies for seedbed cover...

The problem with ripping up old grasses before RU, is your leaves may not be connected to the rhizomes enough to kill the roots adequately... RU works best on fully functioning plants...
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Grasses are starting to awaken in the area now. Looks like I will be doing some testing with RU then. Hope to get a chance to spray some today.

My Dad's lawn is a neglected disaster loaded with wild viloet. Going to test that lawn as well with RU spot spraying as soon as the snow is gone.

Wonder if I should spike the RU with Crossbow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't confuse the experiment with another 'cide... RU is the one under the microscope... how it performs under semi-dormant conditions would be a big step forward in understanding what these products can do,,, or can't do...
I wish you success and that you let us know how it works out...
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roundup reseed

Just what species is the "pasture grass"? Is it tall fescue? Is there any chance you could spray said grass before the Bermuda greened up? Then it would die and the Bermuda would fill in to some degree--and when it was warm--say when the Bermuda had been mowed--it should be warm enough for Bermuda seed. That would be about daily highs of 80 to 85 I suspect, (but I am in the north--local experts are best).
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not sure if it's Bermuda grass. The grass bunches in the pictures grows faster than turf grass and it's starting to green up now to some degree. During the growing season it grows substaintially faster than turf grasses. I'll have to check the feed and farm type places to see what is in their pasture grass mixtures. It can get cold down to single digits here but nothing like winters in Eastern Montana, Dakotas Nebraska etc. This last winter was mild IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In Zone 5 it is not likely that you have Bermuda anywhere,,, but the pasture grass you show is common through the pasrures of the mid-west... there are many different pasture grasses, some native and some seeded, but more than I can remember the names to...
That being said, it fits the description of Canary Grass... it grows in bunches and I see it everywhere,,, but never had anyone point to it and say, "This is/isn't Canary Grass"...

Zone 5B doesn't go below 0 degrees F.???