Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2003, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Attracting business

I was sitting around this evening trying to think of a way to increase my business for next year. I've done the flyer thing, direct mailing and coupon mailers with little success.

So while sitting around I came up with an idea and wanted you folks opinion. A free; say $10, gas card for an account that signs a yearly contract. I've seen others offer a free aeration with purchase of a lawn fertilizing program or 10 % off if you sign up before a certain date and various other offers to get people to sign up but wondered if anyone else has tried this approach.

Always looking for a different way than the rest to attract new accounts. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Steve,

Something to consider is expanding the services you provide your current customer base to potentially make more from each customer. Develop a specialty or expand on a current specialty you have that will make you stand out from your competitors.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont beleive I have seen any lawn care or landscaping companys with that offer.

Wont know if it works unless you try it.

DONT FORGET AN EXPERATION DATE ON THE OFFER
Old 08-02-2003, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TG, I pretty much offer what most services around here do. Barring liquid fert apps, landscaping or tree triming. But your right and that is good advice. Just trying to set the hook so to speak.

Mcgrail, yeah I've never heard of anyone around here doing it either. It was just something that popped into my head and I thought I'd throw it out to see what kind of response it got. The experation date is a good thought, thanks.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Be Sure To Let Us Know The Results Once Ut Works Or Flops

Keep Us Posted
Old 08-11-2003, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Jrs 2741,

Go back and read the bio's of those that have succeeded before you. It is the simple ideas that make them money.

Sam Walton made millions on buying a cheap item, and then marketing it to all of his curent, and prospective clients, as THE greaest thing. It took center stage at his store, and it was priced to sell. It was never name brand, and it was often the little thing that the other guys over looked. in fact one of his top sellers and most profitable items was the mattress pad.

The key is that you have to market it so that it COMPELLS YOU TO ACT. Would YOU personally take the time to refer new busines to others for a $10.00 gas card?

Don't get me wrong here. I think you are onto something, and I like the thinking outside the box.

All I am saying is what would attract you or your friends to:
1. take the time
2. think of your LCO
3. pick up the phone and refer you to them
4. make you want to do all of the above.

What if you held a contest among your residential clients, that who ever could refer the most BUYING customers by such n such date, won a weekend at a B &B, or a guided fishing trip. You know, something that had teeth to it.

Ideally, you would have that as the grand prize for x amount of referals. The gas card would be for anyone who refered say 10 or less.

Over all you are not talking all that much money. Maybe, what, $200 bucks for the grand prize, and say another $100 for the gas cards?

what would the return on that investment be? 20 new clients potentially at say $25.00 a week = $500 bucks.

In one week you would have recovered yoru cost and turned a profit.

people love competition, and the love contests. Look at Publishers clearing house, and the Lottery.

Tell my....why would it not work for the green industry?

*May your shoes and wallet always be green!*
Old 08-15-2003, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've just started out this year, and are learning quick it is easier to get more from each customer than to try and get more customers.
We are always trying to get more customers, but in the mean time, we are promoting doing bushes, clean ups, aerating, filling wood chips, mulch, and rocks, and anything that is eye catching in the yard.
We have made more revenue this year in odd jobs than in mowing. Side jobs are usually things customers don;t want to do themselves, so they never get done. Also, ask them if there is anything they have been thinking about doing, you may get some ideas for other customers you can suggest.
As a bonus, the customers love the suggestions, and feel they are getting more of a service than just someone cutting their lawn.
Anyone can walk behind a mower, you have to give it the professional edge to succeed in the business.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I offer custoimers who prepay fot 10 mpowings a regular price their 11th for free and a 25.00 gift cert at one of three local restuaunts.. I just started this promtion so I have not had any bites yet.. We shall see..

www.jrlawns.com/special.htm
Old 08-18-2003, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCGRAIL LAWN

DONT FORGET AN EXPERATION DATE ON THE OFFER
I disagree. Don't worry about an expiration date, or if you do use an expiration date don't enforce it. If a customer calls a year from now, honor the offer. You still want the new customers, so don't worry about when they expire.

The only benefit of an expiration date would be to compel them to act now (good idea), but you should honor a coupon whenever a potential customer presents it. After all, the idea is to attract new business.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the expiration date thing we use with new customers. It makes them ACT FAST before the DISCOUNT ends. Little words like that make a huge difference in giving them FREE servies or REDUCED prices. So HURRY NOW.