Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

He was having a bad day on the bench. He generally hits around 550. This is 510lb on the bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhqVIa_oWDE

I wish I had a pic of his friend from Pilot Point. He is in the weight class below him. He put up 600lb on the bench and then scared the crap out of everybody when he had 650lb slip and almost hit his head.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks real good Turf Dawg! Love the Weeping Blue Atlas'. Is that a type of mugho pine that you are using in a few of your landscapes?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you,
Large Pines do not do very well in our alkaline soils but I do use a few compact Mugo's and I love the compact Tanyosho's you see in the photos. Most everything around here is just the Dwarf Yaupons so I like to change it up if I can, even if I can just put a boulder with a Weeping Yaupon or the Weeping Atlus Ceaders. If I know someone is not going to take very good care of the landscape it just gets Yaupons and Knockouts.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Thank you,
Large Pines do not do very well in our alkaline soils but I do use a few compact Mugo's and I love the compact Tanyosho's you see in the photos. Most everything around here is just the Dwarf Yaupons so I like to change it up if I can, even if I can just put a boulder with a Weeping Yaupon or the Weeping Atlus Ceaders. If I know someone is not going to take very good care of the landscape it just gets Yaupons and Knockouts.
I wished pines didn't do very well around here... They are a pain to mow & maintain underneath. I hear you on the yaupons and knockouts.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Was looking at the pic of your guy installing the edging...is he using a hatchet to make a trench for it?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
Was looking at the pic of your guy installing the edging...is he using a hatchet to make a trench for it?
That big ugly thing is my son lol

Yes that is a hatchet. You cannot see it but we hold the hatchet in our left hand and hit it with a large dead blow hammer. A lot of areas around here have limestone rock and that bust through the small ones great. If we have good soil [very seldom] we just beat the edging down with hammer and block but most of the time we use the hatchet and hammer first. I goes faster than you think it would and makes a great groove. I have had that hatchet for several years and it is great for small roots when replacing plants, edging, small rocks, ect..

Another one of my favorite tools that was not really meant for landscapers is my cordless saws all. That out of control Crape Myrtle you see in one of the before and after pics was trimmed by it. I use a medium tooth blade for trimmimg small limbs and a fine tooth one for cutting the edging and PVC pipe when doing irrigation repairs.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That big ugly thing is my son lol

Yes that is a hatchet. You cannot see it but we hold the hatchet in our left hand and hit it with a large dead blow hammer. A lot of areas around here have limestone rock and that bust through the small ones great. If we have good soil [very seldom] we just beat the edging down with hammer and block but most of the time we use the hatchet and hammer first. I goes faster than you think it would and makes a great groove. I have had that hatchet for several years and it is great for small roots when replacing plants, edging, small rocks, ect..

Another one of my favorite tools that was not really meant for landscapers is my cordless saws all. That out of control Crape Myrtle you see in one of the before and after pics was trimmed by it. I use a medium tooth blade for trimmimg small limbs and a fine tooth one for cutting the edging and PVC pipe when doing irrigation repairs.
Great tip, thanks. I keep several hatchets/machetes in the back of my truck.
Thats funny, I keep a cordless Milwaukee Hackzall (the one handed version of the sawzall) on the truck for pipe cutting (I don't carry a hack saw...don't even think I own one lol), crepe myrtles and other pruning, etc. One of the most used tools on my truck.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everything looks good man
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
He was having a bad day on the bench. He generally hits around 550. This is 510lb on the bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhqVIa_oWDE

I wish I had a pic of his friend from Pilot Point. He is in the weight class below him. He put up 600lb on the bench and then scared the crap out of everybody when he had 650lb slip and almost hit his head.
Well you got your next generation going.....looks good.