Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Ohio applicators license

Any tips for taking the Ohio commercial applicators license. What areas should I concentrate on most? How hard is it? Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty tough..... they give u a picture and you have to name weeds and diseases. Get the study guides and go to the classes that they have ....
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

me two ive heard that the test questions have changed?? what i mean is a few people that took it in the past said it seemed harder. while another guy took it a couple weeks back (who didnt past obviously) said it seemed easier but as mentioned study the book check about classes and even imo take the test just see what its like then you have a better idea what its like.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My tip is to get the books, go to the class and study, study, study. You first have to take your core. They will ask you about PPE, calibration of equipment and, mixing. Take your calculator with you. When I took the text you could not use your phone calculator. If you don't know the answer to one question move on as in another question there may be an answer for the question that you skipped. Questions are muliple choice. There may be more than one right answer, you have to pick the best answer. I can't say it enough read your study materials. Become familer with the language and terms. Square feet in an acre. Study the bugs, life cycle, when they are active. Study the turf, what is healty and what looks bad. They key word is STUDY. Use common sence to your answers. I passed all on the first try. If I can do that.. anybody can pass it. Study and you will too. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Are the tests something that you can take in one day, or would you suggest the core one day and the categories another?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdow View Post
Are the tests something that you can take in one day, or would you suggest the core one day and the categories another?
Posted via Mobile Device
The way I did was as mentioned before was to study. The day I took my core test, somewhere around 90 questions I also signed up for the morning class. I figured many of the questions on the core test would be covered in class and they were. That day I took core test only. Those 2 things alone took until 6:00 PM. They shut down at 6:00 PM. That was all I wanted in one day, pretty eventful day. I continued to study every chance I got. Once I found out that I passed my core, I then signed up to take the other 2 tests to get the category's that I wanted. I took those 2 on the same day. I think you can take the tests until you pass but who wants to go through that several times. I remember sitting in the parking lot in the morning before going in to take my test, continuing self testing. Your score test does not have to be perfect to pass. But, I would go in realizing that you are going to miss some questions. Your goal of course is to pass missing the least amount of questions. One too many misses and you fail. One more right and you pass. Remember this better to make a mistake on the test than in the field. Once you get your test continue to learn. They have re-certification seminars every year. You need only to attend one of those every 3 years to keep your license. I would recommend though to attend every year then, you don't have to worry. They also have a lot of good information, new information every year. There are also good contacts there along with maybe a couple of suppliers doing the sessions along with company hand outs. Again more information. Get on OSU Pested sight. There is a lot of information there on where and how to get your license as well as updated information. It changes daily. Best of all that doesn't cost anything extra. I would suggest spending the 35.00 for all of the study material and guides. If you were to buy at a book store it would probably cost you well over 300.00 alone for that. Besides you know that is what they will be testing you on. It costs I think 30.00 or so to take the test by category. Take as many times as needed for that cost. Once you pass you have to show proof of liability insurance. You also have to pay like 35.00 for your license per year and also pay 35.00 for a business licence every year. Once you get all of that you are good to go. It is a lot of work to get done. I will say to me it was some of the best time and money that I invested over the last 18 years. It is nice knowing that you are legal and insured and you should know what you are doing. Now go get after it. Good Luck !!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Any tips for taking the Ohio commercial applicators license. What areas should I concentrate on most? How hard is it? Thanks
OK a little bit more information. Figure out what categories you want to do. If you want to do termites no need to do the turf category and so on. Call the Dept. of Ag and they can guide you on what you need to study and explain the category you need to study. Once you pass your core you can get as many catagories that you want.

Is it hard? You bet. Can it be a little over whelming at first? You bet. After you study it is still hard but, not as bad and not nearly so over whelming.

Did I mention to study? Nothing else I can tell you. The rest is up to you.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow. Thanks Gebby! I got the books through the department of ag website. I plan on taking the test next month when its offered in my county.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Wow. Thanks Gebby! I got the books through the department of ag website. I plan on taking the test next month when its offered in my county.
Posted via Mobile Device
Happy to help ease your mind. I wish I would have had a coach along the way. I really can't remember one question on the test.

I would study the core book FIRST. Learn everything you can in that book. Without passing that first you can't go any further. As mentioned I think it was 90 questions. They ask a lot about PPE, pressures, square feet, square feet per acre, State Laws, Posting, they pose a emergency situation and ask you what you should do first with 4 multiple choice questions. Calibration. If there is a question that you can't answer correctly for certain, pass over that and go back over to it. There are several answers to questions in other questions. I took every minute I was allowed to take for my test. I probably went back through the complete test at least twice before I turned it in. They closed at 6:00 and I turned it in at 5:55. Take a real calculator, we could not use the one on our phone. They worry you will text someone for an answer. I did change some of my answers before turning in. Afterward they told us USUALLY your first answer is probably the best answer? I can't confirm or deny that. I'm glad you already have your books. If you are to begin testing next month you should be good. I had not taken a real test since high school back in 1976. I really put a lot of pressure on myself. My study habits in school were not the best. Learn the language and find a way for the information to stay between your ears. I have heard that many guys fail the first time. If you do fail don't give up. Once you get your core the categories will be some what easier. They will again ask you some of the same questions. If you are going for Turf, you need to know the types of grasses and weeds. You also have to know the bugs. With all of those you need to know their life cycles and when it is best to get rid of them along as the best way. Remember Chemicals are not always the best way. Cultural Practices will work too. On the test they provide you labels. Read and understand that label. The answer to the question is in the label. You have to read the label.Most important thing you will learn is this, READ THE LABEL and THE LABEL IS THE LAW, EVERYWHERE, ALWAY'S. READ AND FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck.