Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Browsers

Why is it that different browsers will show websites differently? I always run into a difference in the way IE and Firefox vs Google Chrome show a site. Is there anyway to deal with this?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasterlc View Post
Why is it that different browsers will show websites differently? I always run into a difference in the way IE and Firefox vs Google Chrome show a site.
The main browsers use different rendering/layout engines to display content and they interpret code differently. Most notably, CSS and HTML5 are usually at the top of the list of what people here will encounter. If you want to nerd out deeper than my extremely superficial explanation, grab some caffeine and search either rendering or layout engine.

Quote:
Is there anyway to deal with this?
Yep, you essentially have to code to the lowest common denominator of what works <fingerquotes> best </fingerquotes> across all browsers. It definitely helps to pay attention to what Device/OS/Browser your visitors are using and plan from there. Also, welcome to the club of people who develop or code their sites enough to be driven mad by this. lol
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Also, welcome to the club of people who develop or code their sites enough to be driven mad by this. lol
Thanks. I'm just now catching up with things Ive always wanted to do to the site plus use the suggestions Ive gotten here.

Ive managed to get ad-words going and have made some of the changes you recommended... still more to do.

At the moment I'm struggling with attaching html code to an object...

Ron
turfmasterlawncare.net
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I am doing a design, generally I will design it in Firefox, and then make any needed ajsutments for IE. I will test in IE 7, IE 8 and IE 9. (all three render differently, coming from IE being way off on CSS handling and slow adapting to being better. Also I test in Chrome, display wise, most of the time it handles well, the big issues I used to come across is before I used to use jQuery, the javascript engine in Chrome (and Safari on mac) was different in small ways.

A site should always be checked on as many different browsers AND OS's (including mobile devices). There are sites out there that will let you know what your site looks like (just visual screenshot) in a ton of different systems (way more than you probably ever know that were out there). There are free and paid services for this. But when possible, check it out yourself. Only have a PC or a MAC, check your local library. The one here has iMacs people can just walk in and use.

Another thing to consider when you check on a computers. Do not assume everyone uses the same screen resultion as you do. This is not the size of the screen in inches, but in terms of how many dots (pixels) across (and down) the screen. Also, keep in mind that not everyone browses at full screen. I mainly design for minimum of 900 wide designs anymore.

Also, a big thing to help pages render the same across different systems (browsers and OS's) is to make sure the code validates, which means it is written in a way all browsers EXPECT it to be. When a page doesn't validate, a browser has to GUESS at what you meant, and while most of the time, they do ok, that is more processing the page has to do to load. This is something to consider on mobile devices.

Long time ago, before things got as complex is they are now (and I'm talking about line 1999) there was an article about how for both Netscape (the king way back when) and IE, more than 50% of the code behind those programs was nothing but figuring out how to guess at displaying broken pages.

-Greg