Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I assume you ar concerned about somebody getting into the trailer over nite? Most people back up the trailer flat against the shed or in our case a big shrink wrapped pallet of mulch.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok thanks I did found the trailer brake battery and tested good. I had no idea there wAs a battery in there . Yes I'm always concerned about theft. At home and out in the Field. I've had all my small equipment stolen in front of my house out the back of an ARE topper once. They offer no security what so ever found that out the hard way. . So this year I decided to invest in a few theft deterring items. Yes I back it all the way to the fence in my driveway.All trimmers and blowers locked with Xtreme Racks. Kill switchs on ztrs. Attach a boot to a wheel. Under 24 hour video. Motion spot lights.Arm the alarm. And a GPS locaters just in case all else fails. I can't think of nothing else. Just a few things to slow them down a little
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids Lawncare View Post
Ok thanks I did found the trailer brake battery and tested good. I had no idea there wAs a battery in there . Yes I'm always concerned about theft. At home and out in the Field. I've had all my small equipment stolen in front of my house out the back of an ARE topper once. They offer no security what so ever found that out the hard way. . So this year I decided to invest in a few theft deterring items. Yes I back it all the way to the fence in my driveway.All trimmers and blowers locked with Xtreme Racks. Kill switchs on ztrs. Attach a boot to a wheel. Under 24 hour video. Motion spot lights.Arm the alarm. And a GPS locaters just in case all else fails. I can't think of nothing else. Just a few things to slow them down a little
Posted via Mobile Device
GPS what type did you use?

Training them early
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I got the GPS from amazon for like $70. Model number trdf12. They give you 1 month free monitoring and its $18month. It's a cheap system but it seems to work pretty good from the little time I've had them. I mounted them on my ztr and stander hard wired to the battery. So far so good.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids Lawncare View Post
I got the GPS from amazon for like $70. Model number trdf12. They give you 1 month free monitoring and its $18month. It's a cheap system but it seems to work pretty good from the little time I've had them. I mounted them on my ztr and stander hard wired to the battery. So far so good.
Thanks you have a nice set up. Is that $70 per machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

yes $70 per machine or unit. The company is basically using old cell phones reprogramed for gps and installed it in a case. Check it out on Amazon its has some good reviews for being so cheap. I was kind of sketchy about them but so far so good. Two for the price of one compared to other units.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had to check my trailers. I see no batteries anywhere. I never heard of this before. I do have dump boxes on my trailer so maybe that battery charges the batteries but that is a marine battery and I never have charged one yet. I disconnect them during the winter but that's it. I thought that the plug connected to truck charged the system?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great idea on the alarm especially when working on commercial sites and u can't see the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

some thoughts

Trailer alarms are a great idea: so long as you close the trailer every time you swap some piece of equipment. I have actually heard of a company which would leave one man with the truck/trailer on one property to prevent theft while the rest of the crew worked the site.

Moving on; Have a car alarm on the trailer with door magnets, shock sensor and proximity alarm. The shock sensor was to set the thing of when someone was messing with the locks and before the doors were open. the proximity sensor was to be able to leave the door open yet set the alarm of when someone entered the trailer. Problems occurred in severe rainstorms, and with falling acorns or branches which would set the alarm of (usually at 2 in the morning of course), strong winds would also trigger the alarm by flexing he roof which would create a "shock". The proximity sensor was an interesting experiment, but could trigger the alarm when a truck passed by. I usually kept it off!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

For those rainy stormy nights I usually sit up in my recliner next to my trailer with my shoot gun waiting