Register free!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What?

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...nclick_check=1

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your not surpised, are you? Thinner lawns will lead to more run off and pollution too. Wind farms kill thousands of birds and electric cars get their power from a plug....which gets its power from coal fire power plants. Tree huggers don't use science they use emotion.....and are almost always wrong at best usually counter productive and destructive too. If they had their way monsanto would be out of business and we would all die of malaria.......frigin do gooders.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Your not surpised, are you? Thinner lawns will lead to more run off and pollution too.
Nope, not surprised at all. The fact is that most in the industry raised that point out when the ban's first started but the concerns where fell on deaf ears. In about 10 more years we will have another study which when funding runs out, will say something else. Until then I will just keep rolling.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Nope, not surprised at all. The fact is that most in the industry raised that point out when the ban's first started but the concerns where fell on deaf ears. In about 10 more years we will have another study which when funding runs out, will say something else. Until then I will just keep rolling.
I spoke with extension agents and University of Florida professors who advised them on the ordinances. Here's the kicker they all told these pin head politicians not to do exactly what they ended up doing. Typical beurocrat seeks advice from professionals then ignores them. Yup, keep rolling with the punches until they outlaw our industries completely. Guess that's all we can do. Frustrating, we actually pay these clowns to burden us with nonsense.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Color me unsurprised. If I were worried about fertilizer going where it should not be, I would take a hard look at formulation, frequency of application and rates of application. I have mentioned that I live with very erratic weather. There is no rainy season here. A cold front can show up any month of the year with no rhyme or reason. Therefore, I do not ever apply a high rate of fertilizer at once with the expectation that it will last for three months. Not even a slow release granule. A flooding rain can cause that stuff to float out of the lawn and into the waterways. So what do I do? Apply liquids at a low rate on a regular basis. If there is a cold front hanging around causing it to rain for a month, I cut back the rates to no more than what the grass can immediately absorb and utilize. During dry periods, the rates can go up, however I manage and control the irrigation. There is no run off and excessive leaching is avoided. That is another thing. Florida is sand, right? There is nothing more asinine than limiting watering to so many days out of the week on sand. On the few lawns that I maintain that are on almost pure sand, irrigation is set to a baseline of 1" of water per week divided into daily waterings. There is no sense in flooding sand and expecting it to hold water for the rest of the week. That flooding also serves to put whatever chemicals are in the lawn straight into the ground water.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-21-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't fertilize turf during rainy season anyway; the clippings return plenty of nitrogen back to the turf.

IMO: Problem is too many uneducated hacks pouring boatloads of fertilizer under the more is better provisions of the r3tards Guide to Maintaing a Southern Lawn.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Don't fertilize turf during rainy season anyway; the clippings return plenty of nitrogen back to the turf.

IMO: Problem is too many uneducated hacks pouring boatloads of fertilizer under the more is better provisions of the r3tards Guide to Maintaing a Southern Lawn.
AMEN
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post

Actually that's an uneducated statement. You should say "don't over fertilize" the turf in the rainy (growing) season. Clippings can only return the nitrogen if there is any in there. How exactly is there going to be nitrogen in the clippings with our growth rate in the summer and no replenishment of nutrients? Pretty basic knowledge a plant need SOME nitrogen to grow, period! Spoon feeding when turf needs nutrients including nitrogen is the proper way to go. Fertilizing in the "non rainy" season or what we call the semi or dormant season is totally irresponsible as the turf doesn't utilize it and it ends up where it doesn't belong.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

By the way, saying not to fertilize during the rainy season and anyone who agreed with that blanket statement sure make you look like the un educated one. I would bet my house and my first born son the two most knowledgable guys here on warm season turf both fertilize during the "rainy season". Are you calling ric and greendoctor uneducated hacks?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do as I say, Not as I do.

The real point here is in S W Florida's sandy soil with our Rainy/Dry subtropical seasons, there is no way to grow grass or plants successfully without Fertilizing during the GROWING/RAINY SEASON. In order for a Law to be viable, the majority of the Population must believe and follow it. In the case of the No Fertilizer in Rainy season, Most people don't believe in it or follow that law.

A few years ago the Florida legislation commissioned a Fertilizer recommendation study. It was comprised of tree huggers to Fertilize manufactures. Of course U of F was the main contributer. I and several others have posted links to that study here on LS at one time or another. I am too lazy to find that link right now. The bottom line is that study concluded the use of Slow release Fertilizer or Small and frequent Liquid application gave less fertilizer pollution than no fertilizer or Over application of fast release fertilizer. BTW It doesn't have to be rainy season to cause pollution. Excessive irrigation is an other pollution causing issue that the Granola Nuts I don't think realize.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.