Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslawnandlandscape View Post
See if the town your in has either GIS or tax assessor database. It won't give you an actual list but you get as much info on the property that is available and you can pinpoint to specific streets that your looking at.

I use town GIS mapping or Tax Assessors database as one avenue for bringing in new clients in the beginning of the season. I can get an idea of the property layout etc, owners name, and I then make up an actual letter and also handwrite the envelope. Yes it takes a bit more time, but last year I targeted 2 specific areas where I already have clients and mailed out to almost 100 homes. 5 are now clients and another bunch ended up being mulch or small projects. That avenue more than paid for itself easily and I don't run all over town in between clients. This year I'm tightening the areas even more to try and hone in on specific blocks.

I even sent mine out early last year (February) and a couple buddies of mine said I was wasting my time. Those that called me back in April said they were surprised to see a letter from a landscaper early before the season and held onto it.

I've done the door hangers and mass mailing (both disasters) I wasted more time, energy & money distributing the hangers while the mass mailing was a stupid move. I'm on AL (never a bite), YP.com does well for me, CL is extremely hit or miss, while the absolute best will always be word of mouth.

You won't hit the jackpot with direct mailing but if your looking to get a specific area, you can't really get more precise than that. Also do not use a flyer it will get tossed, write out a simple letter, quick intro (1 or 2 sentences) and right to the point.
How large is your area is it a rural area or a metro area? AL works very well for metro area's not so much for rural, are you using the FREE AL listing or the paid listing? We also have used the tax assessors database for creating a mailing list, time consuming, but effective for targeting neighborhoods. Door hangers work as long as your using them in conjunction with door knocking.

Tags
lawnbusinessreport.com , sean adams , thelawnletter.com