Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Mtmower,

I cant help but think you were part of the reason for the X-Factor enhancements!! That and an almost nation wide drought that brought out unique conditions.

Funny thing is late last August I was having turbulance problems on dry fine fescue. Also no lift. So I switched to my Velocity deck with the same exact results. As soon as the fine fescue got some moisture back into it both decks were cured. I also noticed LS was full of cut quality issue threads across the board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here GMLC. I was having QOC issues with my MOD deck on fine/limp grasses and posted on here about it several times, but as soon as the least bit of moisture came down, it cleared right up and I ended up being even more impressed by the MOD deck than I was by the std version.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Same here GMLC. I was having QOC issues with my MOD deck on fine/limp grasses and posted on here about it several times, but as soon as the least bit of moisture came down, it cleared right up and I ended up being even more impressed by the MOD deck than I was by the std version.
Ridin' I remember we were talking about our issues around the same time. I have a feeling we mow similar grasses. Im not sure but I think Montana is a lot less humid which could have really enhanced the problem conditions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ridin' I remember we were talking about our issues around the same time. I have a feeling we mow similar grasses. Im not sure but I think Montana is a lot less humid which could have really enhanced the problem conditions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Quote:
Mtmower,

I cant help but think you were part of the reason for the X-Factor enhancements!! That and an almost nation wide drought that brought out unique conditions.

Funny thing is late last August I was having turbulance problems on dry fine fescue. Also no lift. So I switched to my Velocity deck with the same exact results. As soon as the fine fescue got some moisture back into it both decks were cured. I also noticed LS was full of cut quality issue threads across the board.
Posted via Mobile Device
RJ and GMLC, June was are wettest on record. Upward of almost 8" I believe. Got pretty dry after that but not as hot as usual. Terrible weather year. Took a lot of the enjoyment out of my day. We have little humidity here but 99% of my accounts are irrigated and I control the watering on most. Our soil REALLY varies here. From sand (wear through my lift before I wear them down from sharpening) to clay that never dries out. Plus lots of wooded areas which = shade. Most of my accounts I water 4xs a week in normal conditions at around 35 min. per station of rotating heads. As I've said, I also started doing the fert/spray now on most as well about three years ago to yet control my conditions more and I'm down to 75% release two times a year and up to three (winterizer) on a few and turf still is growing at a rate of about 4" per seven days. One of my toughest accounts is on a lake, shaded, and terrible clay. I'm down to watering 10-15 min 4xs a week and still tacking mud while having bad stinger/skippers so moisture is not my main problem even though I know it plays a significant role in things. No lie, the weather had me thinking of other careers. Now with literally only three days of plowing for the second year in a row, I'm sucking wind, and I'm thinking hard while looking at my CC debt.

My hats off to Gravely as a company. Came out here to BFE three times counting my demo. The other two times to get info and try fixes on my unit. Yet to deal with a company this proactive.

I have to say I've had little to no problem with lift on my XR7 regardless of conditions. The clipping disbursement and lack of power due to my engine choice are it's weakest links. I would still like to demo a VX4 yet.

Sorry if I'm taking this thread off subject too far.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
RJ and GMLC, June was are wettest on record. Upward of almost 8" I believe. Got pretty dry after that but not as hot as usual. Terrible weather year. Took a lot of the enjoyment out of my day. We have little humidity here but 99% of my accounts are irrigated and I control the watering on most. Our soil REALLY varies here. From sand (wear through my lift before I wear them down from sharpening) to clay that never dries out. Plus lots of wooded areas which = shade. Most of my accounts I water 4xs a week in normal conditions at around 35 min. per station of rotating heads. As I've said, I also started doing the fert/spray now on most as well about three years ago to yet control my conditions more and I'm down to 75% release two times a year and up to three (winterizer) on a few and turf still is growing at a rate of about 4" per seven days. One of my toughest accounts is on a lake, shaded, and terrible clay. I'm down to watering 10-15 min 4xs a week and still tacking mud while having bad stinger/skippers so moisture is not my main problem even though I know it plays a significant role in things. No lie, the weather had me thinking of other careers. Now with literally only three days of plowing for the second year in a row, I'm sucking wind, and I'm thinking hard while looking at my CC debt.

My hats off to Gravely as a company. Came out here to BFE three times counting my demo. The other two times to get info and try fixes on my unit. Yet to deal with a company this proactive.

I have to say I've had little to no problem with lift on my XR7 regardless of conditions. The clipping disbursement and lack of power due to my engine choice are it's weakest links. I would still like to demo a VX4 yet.

Sorry if I'm taking this thread off subject too far.
I know how you feel. Last year I plowed three times and so far only five times this year. It has really changed my business plan and outlook for my business. Snow and ice management use to be half my business. Now its not to be counted on for income. Im not big enough or have the capital to take on large commercial lots that pay whether it snows or not. But from what I hear those guys loose money on tough winters but make a ton on years like we have had recently.

Oh! And I hope Gravely brings you the new deck to try out...hint hint....Gravely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 02-21-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
There is no reason for a client to realize you're having a problem, raise the deck a little and run back over the windrows to scatter them, if you lose a client because of this small problem, it's your fault, not his.
hmm, you seem to like argueing...

Its just not an option to double cut the entire job, I do double cut occasionally in the worst sections but even double cutting still throws out some more clumps!

As far as rasing the height, that is a cause for complaint in itself! Im already cutting this lawn higher than normal because of the clumping.. Any higher and the client will complain about the height. So he should, im not winging about my client!

Im not saying if I lose the job it would be the clients fault, it would be the fault of the VX4. If I was the client paying $240 every week to have my lawns cut I wouldnt want to be looking out my windows at dried up clumps of grass. The reason I know he may complain is his old contractor used to leave clumps of grass & he mentioned it to me in the beginning, so I have always made a point of avoiding it. The old mower used to do a very nice job of dispursing the grass evenly.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Where I'm at in MI, I think I am mowing very similar turf to you (and even to mtmower in some places from the sounds of it). Most of the lawns here are mixes of KBG, fine and tall fescue, perrenial rye and a lot of weeds in most of them
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Where I'm at in MI, I think I am mowing very similar turf to you (and even to mtmower in some places from the sounds of it). Most of the lawns here are mixes of KBG, fine and tall fescue, perrenial rye and a lot of weeds in most of them
Exactly the same mix here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was so dry here last summer that even the buckhorn plantain, which usually takes over uncared for lawns in the dry spells, didn't do well. I hope this year is a lot better. (For the rain/grass I mean LOL).
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Funny thing is we had rain almost every week in april and may. Then almost no rain until september! And another mild winter. If it wasnt for the recent 30 inches we would of had hardly any snow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We've had no where near that amount of snow. One or two 3" falls, and one at maybe 5-6". Otherwise a bunch of 1.5" or less falls and dustings. Still, the retention basin behind us is pretty full already which is a good sign. As long as we don't go all summer without rain again, I think we'll be alright here.