Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Thanks for the info Stan. I have used the Swisher 44's behind an atv for hunting camp trails and they work pretty well, never tried the 60 but seems like a good set up and it would cut mowing time. Thanks again
No problem......
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Hey ztman, I really like the Swisher 60" (B/S Vanguard engine) pull behind, it saves a heck of a lot of time. It's not commercial grade but it does a great job for what I need it for, and my Lightning pulls it with absolutely no effort at all, in fact, you can't even tell it's back there.

It won't cut as fast as a commercial ZTR will (and still do a good job), but it still saves a lot of time for me. (When using the Swisher I probably mow about 7 mph on average). I have a lot of back/neck problems (4 surgeries) so it allows me to cover a lot of ground without going so fast that the jarring around creates more pain.

I also pulled the Swisher with the tractor I used before buying the Lightning, so when looking around for a ZTR (in '09) I needed to get one that was heavy enough and built strongly enough to pull the 500 lb Swisher without damaging the hydro pumps and motors on the ZTR...that's why I went with the Lightning.

As for the cut, the Swisher cutting height can be adjusted very precisely, so, when finished, you absolutely can't tell that 2 mowers were used. (You obviously can't do single width "striping" though because of the double mower width being cut each time).

When you first start using a tow mower you have to be extremely careful until you get used to that extra 60" being to your left and behind you. Because it is behind you and out of sight, you can do some serious damage to it and other property around you if you let your mind wander. Once you become accustomed to it, there's no problem.

I can actually mow 3-4 inches close to a tree just using my peripheral vision. And, if you do get too close to a tree and hang it, small wheels on the corner of the Swisher will let the deck roll around the tree. But, this is only helpful if you get a little too close. Anything like hanging a tree by 6inches or more and you're in trouble (the small wheels only compensate for a slight miscalculation)

I've been using the Swisher since '04 with no problem with it other than spindle bearings. But, I think hitting a huge amount of pine cones (especially green ones) had a part to play in that problem. Luckily I've never had an accident with it, but I know people that have had with theirs....you just have to go slow until it becomes automatic.

As I said, it's not commercial grade and I'm sure it wouldn't hold up to every day usage, but for what I need it for it does a great job.
I should have added that the Swisher has about 600 hrs on it with nothing replaced but deck spindle bearings. So, even though it isn't commercial, I feel like it's held up well for what it is.....so far at least!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
How does that tow mower work out for you. Cut quality the same, turns or loops, does the mower have any issues pulling the xtra mower. I was considering doing the same thing but figured the tow mower would slow me down, especially at the end of a row
Hey ZTMan, thought of something you may be interested in seeing. Here's a link to a You Tube video showing a tow mower being used. Seeing it in action may answer some of your questions or concerns.

Most of these tow mowers are designed so that you can run them on the left, directly behind, or to the right of the main mower. Pulling it directly behind is what you'd need to do if pulling with a 4 wheeler, or anything other than another mower. When pulling a tow mower with a 4 wheeler, you can also pull the tow mower offset to one side or the other to go underneath hedge rows or around ponds or other obstacles.

I pull mine off set to the left so it's not having to cut the discharge grass being thrown out by my Lightning (I then mow counter clockwise). You can mow as you would when striping, it's just that your stripes are 2 mower widths wide....which is fine.
Stan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4dNqtKjJo

Last edited by StanWilhite; 02-25-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had liquid cooled 27 hp Kaw's n the past, NEVER AGAIN !!! Always something going wrong with them. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey ZTMan, thought of something you may be interested in seeing. Here's a link to a You Tube video showing a tow mower being used. Seeing it in action may answer some of your questions or concerns.

Most of these tow mowers are designed so that you can run them on the left, directly behind, or to the right of the main mower. Pulling it directly behind is what you'd need to do if pulling with a 4 wheeler, or anything other than another mower. When pulling a tow mower with a 4 wheeler, you can also pull the tow mower offset to one side or the other to go underneath hedge rows or around ponds or other obstacles.

I pull mine off set to the left so it's not having to cut the discharge grass being thrown out by my Lightning (I then mow counter clockwise). You can mow as you would when striping, it's just that your stripes are 2 mower widths wide....which is fine.
Stan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4dNqtKjJo
Thanks for the link. That set up looks like it can work. I agree with your offset comment, should be offset so the mower being towed is not cuttng the grass of the towing mower. Thanks again. Now that I see that set up, I wonder how two 44s would work, one offset on each side. They are rear discharge and 2 of them probably weigh about as much as the 60.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
I had liquid cooled 27 hp Kaw's n the past, NEVER AGAIN !!! Always something going wrong with them. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Thanks for the heads up. What kind of problems did you have with the Kaw. motor?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. That set up looks like it can work. I agree with your offset comment, should be offset so the mower being towed is not cuttng the grass of the towing mower. Thanks again. Now that I see that set up, I wonder how two 44s would work, one offset on each side. They are rear discharge and 2 of them probably weigh about as much as the 60.
Sure thing, glad to (hopefully) be of some help.
As long as the mower doing the towing is equipped with an engine (along with hydraulic pumps and motors) heavy built and strong enough to pull the added weight and "drag", you'll be fine. (As I'm sure you know, the "drag" factor is the hp it takes to pull a tow mower (or two) thru tall thick grass). It takes several times as much power to pull tow mowers thru tall thick grass, compared to short thin grass...and, obviously, the more tow mowers involved, the more hp it takes to pull them.

Using 2 tow mowers on the same side is fine, but you lose some efficiency if you use one on each side because you can't accurately judge where the edge of the tow mower is that is following your last cut. To be accurate you have to use the mower doing the towing to follow your last cut.

One last consideration is, if you're moving around there's added time and effort to connect and disconnect the mowers, and getting them on and off trailers. If you're staying in one spot (mowing your own personal property), or mowing large properties (several acres) that's no big deal tho.
Stan
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker2930 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. What kind of problems did you have with the Kaw. motor?
Sorry Tucker, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought you were about through when the "tow mower" question popped up.
I'm hoping your Lightning serves you as well as mine has served me. We'll be looking forward to updates!
Stan
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sorry Tucker, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought you were about through when the "tow mower" question popped up.
I'm hoping your Lightning serves you as well as mine has served me. We'll be looking forward to updates!
Stan
No problem Stan. The dealer has the mower an extra week correcting the problems you listed. Thanks again you saved me in a big way as my dealer is 40 + miles away.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker2930 View Post
No problem Stan. The dealer has the mower an extra week correcting the problems you listed. Thanks again you saved me in a big way as my dealer is 40 + miles away.
That's great! Those round trips of that length are time consuming and expensive.
Will you please tell my wife that I'm good for something?!