Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Hedge Trimming Pricing

I am looking for ideas on how to price hedge trimming. Currently we do not offer this, being a startup, but thought it would be a good service to add so that we are able to attract more customers.

I am trying to figure out how to price hedge trimming if it is only done when the customer wants, and not built into the lawn care pricing.

Thanks!
Joey
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Know your hourly figure and estimate how long to complete. Don't forget to factor in disposal costs and time too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLLandscaping View Post
I am looking for ideas on how to price hedge trimming. Currently we do not offer this, being a startup, but thought it would be a good service to add so that we are able to attract more customers.

I am trying to figure out how to price hedge trimming if it is only done when the customer wants, and not built into the lawn care pricing.

Thanks!
Joey
Figure 1/2 hr per every 30' of hedge.

Do not sell hedge trimming without you owning a gas powered trimmer.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

try to figure how long it is going to take you then multiply that by your hourly rate. after a while you can look at a bush and know in your head it is a 10 minute bush or a 5 minute ect. as stated above dont forget about clean up, hauling, disposal figured into your price. also make sure you and the home owner on on the same page as far as what is to be done. I have given a price for trimming and then had the customer tell me they wanted a complete rejuvenation.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure you have good equipment and don't forget to add extra for the debris you'll be left with. Estimate how long you think it will take and factor in your hourly rate and then add the dump fee. Example: my hourly rate is $60 an hour, so if I thought it would take 30 min then it would be $30 plus $20 in dump fees. One way to check your math is to count the number of bushes and charge $3 per small, $5 per med bush, $8 per Large, $10 per xtra large bush. This should give you an idea of if your close. But only use this way to check your price, Don't Ever Bid This Way!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. And don't worry I have the gas trimmer. I hate the electric crap. Dosnt seem right unless you hear a engine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Know your hourly figure and estimate how long to complete. Don't forget to factor in disposal costs and time too.
Posted via Mobile Device
This.

Once you've been at it a while you can walk into a property and guess about how long it will take. Make sure to factor in disposal time.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

learn how long it cost to trim and cleanup different size bushes/shrubs then charge by bush. works here. factor in gas and such is you have to haul off. its always a blessing when someone has woods in the back or something you can dump.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

At my past job doing landscaping we were able to knock out some 8ft hedges (both sides, since they divided a parking lot and walkway) and the top 5ft width in about 2 hours and these were about 100ft+ of hedges.