Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorefield View Post
GMLC is right on the mark at 25%, at least you guys up there in NE had a big snow storm to keep you busy this year. My only advice to growing a business is growing slow. I started in High school with a push mower just to make a couple $$$ for myself. I didnít know it at the time but I have a passion for the work and business. I wanted to learn more about how I could provide a better service then the next guy with a mower. So I decided to get a horticulture degree which also opened up another avenue to make money applying pesticides. By no means am I a huge operation but I have a couple employees and I am still growing and learning. Good Luck to reaching your goal.
Who knows maybe next time you post this will be asking who is at the $500,000 mark.
i didnt say i didnt.... i just asked who did. goog luck reaching your goals. looks like you got a young start thats good!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
To net 100k means your going to need to gross a minimum of 400k. Not sure a one or two man crew could do this. I guess anything is possible. There is always an exception.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why would you have to gross 400k to net 100k? A friend of mine just sold his business and had 60% FCF. He grossed about 500k and had a profit of around 275k. This also included snow removal though. He had one helper.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLC View Post
Why would you have to gross 400k to net 100k? A friend of mine just sold his business and had 60% FCF. He grossed about 500k and had a profit of around 275k. This also included snow removal though. He had one helper.
Install or Maintenance?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Install or Maintenance?
Mostly maintenance. A few installs but it was mainly from subbing a lot of stuff out and mowing a crazy amount of lawns. They cranked out 40 lawns a day between the 2 of them.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

The guy who bought the business from him triple fliers every house in my area. Puts about 300,000 fliers out every spring. Pretty hard to compete with that..
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLC View Post
A normal profit margin is around 25%. Never trust anyones word unless you have seen the books and tax records for several years. There are ways to show more profit when selling a business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
A normal profit margin is around 25%. Never trust anyones word unless you have seen the books and tax records for several years. There are ways to show more profit when selling a business.
Posted via Mobile Device
He would have never sold it for as much as he did if it wasn't that profitable.I have talked to many guys around here, and they say they aim for 40%. Overall the main objective is a stable and concise customer base. This will result in high profitability. More equipment or a big location won't. He found ways to maximize the capacity of every asset.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Your not kidding. These next few transition years are going to be the hardest for my company. I can no longer take on anymore work without hiring fulltime. We have had to turn away way to much work. I need to either stay as I am and do well for myself or take a hit on net profit for future growth. Believe me when I say this has been one of the hardest business decisions I have ever made. Im in the dreaded middle zone where its stay small or not. Growing pains are tough!! Also keep in mind its only a 27 week season in NH so fulltime is under 20k.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do what your doing for a few years, retain enough earning to continue to pay yourself what you do currently until profits pik back up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Do what your doing for a few years, retain enough earning to continue to pay yourself what you do currently until profits pik back up
Posted via Mobile Device
I have been planning for a couple years and have savings set aside. But its still a hard call.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I did 46%.... For 2012. Want to shave to 50 this year
Posted via Mobile Device