Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander

Ok, I have been looking for a used 32" wright stander for a little while now to increase my productivity on my smaller gated properties and I am finding that they are hard to find. Got to thinking today, is the frame the same for the 32" as the 36"? I know on the newer models, the 36" have wider tires. But my thinking is, could I buy a 36" stander and then just order a 32" deck and belts/ blades and then just switch the spindles to the new deck. Also if it had the wider tires, I would swap them out of course. Just wondering if anyone knew this, having trouble find the specs for the later models. I would just use a 36" but I have to many properties that the gate with is literally 33", my Ferris Hydrocut barely fits.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Ok, I have been looking for a used 32" wright stander for a little while now to increase my productivity on my smaller gated properties and I am finding that they are hard to find. Got to thinking today, is the frame the same for the 32" as the 36"? I know on the newer models, the 36" have wider tires. But my thinking is, could I buy a 36" stander and then just order a 32" deck and belts/ blades and then just switch the spindles to the new deck. Also if it had the wider tires, I would swap them out of course. Just wondering if anyone knew this, having trouble find the specs for the later models. I would just use a 36" but I have to many properties that the gate with is literally 33", my Ferris Hydrocut barely fits.

Thanks guys!
It would be possible but very expensive. First thing you need is a 36" of the same vintage as the 32" machines. The older 36" machines are nothing like the new ones and they didnt make a 32" when those were made.

Easiest way to tell is the fenders at the rear of the machine. If it has those then you could convert it. I am not sure what all is different though. Obviously the deck and belt. Might have a different idler arm. Would have to look. Different wheels/tires for the back. The wheels are narrower too and might be offset differently. The wheel motor mounts might be different. I doubt it but I would have to look at a diagram. You may or may not want to convert the fuel tank/bracket. The older 32" models had a narrow tank(not sure on the bracket). The latest ones since the emissions updates run the same tank as the 36 I believe.

The deck shell is probably in the $500-600 range. The wheels and tires could be a bit pricey as well. The rest wouldnt be too bad depending on what all you need.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Also have you though about taking like a 6x6 and cutting a ramp at each end of it. Put it at one side of the gate and then drive through the gate at an angle with a 36" machine. I have heard of people doing that with walkbehinds. Not sure on standers.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Also have you though about taking like a 6x6 and cutting a ramp at each end of it. Put it at one side of the gate and then drive through the gate at an angle with a 36" machine. I have heard of people doing that with walkbehinds. Not sure on standers.
Very interesting though there, might be something to look into. Also thanks for your info, I knew it would be expensive, just wasn't sure if it would work or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Very interesting though there, might be something to look into. Also thanks for your info, I knew it would be expensive, just wasn't sure if it would work or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would grab a parts book from their website and go through and find all the parts that are different. Wheels and deck stuff is most important. List up those parts and then get a quote on them. Wheels/tires are only available together from Wright now and are pricey. Might be able to get the wheels separate and tires from a tire supplier and save alot there. The rest of the stuff would need to come from Wright though.