Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

looking to buy a new mower. would like help

i know its going to be an everlasting debate over which brand is better. its just like picking a ford over a dodge, ford is clearly the winner. at least in my eyes and the eyes of many people in my area. haha
anyway, im in the market for a new mower to start my 3rd season. as of now i only have around 10 accounts but i havent really tried to get my name out their yet. i plan on atleast 30 at the end of the season.
my old mower was a P.O.S. 22hp 54" cut husqvarna bought at lowes. it was cheap and got me through 2 years of my own 4 acer lot and 3 years of my accounts lawns. now it sits with a seized engine.
im looking for a nice zt under or around the $7,000 range. in nj i could pay the 7% tax and get a Ferris is 500z 52" $6000. or i could make the trip to delaware and have no tax and have the choice between a Hustler turf fasttrak with a fx26hp and 54" cut for $6400, or a husqvarna P-ZT 4822 48" cut fx22hp at $6000

has anyone had any experience with these machines? my guess is that you will lean towards the hustler because its a proven name. i did like the 54" deck when i had it because some of my lawns can be 3 acres of grass. the way i see it a 48" wouldn't kill me but the 52" or 54" would defiantly be nice to have.
all are offering a 0% intrest rate.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the Hustler is the way to go.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a hustler mini z and it's a good machine. Very reliable, but it has had it's issues. It eats blade belts. They didn't put one on that's thick enough (it's an a series belt) and so it snaps easily when it starts to get worn. Also it doesn't have the most amazing cut when things start to get wet. I think that's just the deck design personally. I would demo the ferris if you can.
Would you happen to have a scag or toro dealer in your area? They are expensive, but a demo model could save you some money. Also exmark is an option. (Toro mowers, just rebadged)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Im leaning toward the 2012 hustler fastrak superduty. the price is at $6400 tax free. Not sure if its a good price but it comes with the 54" deck and a 26hp Kawasaki. If Im qualified they offer 0% for 48 months no payments until june. I had previously looked at Ferris and their 61" deck but realized its a little big for my needs. Haven't really checkout the is600?? I believe it is. Ferris looks like a quality machine but I the only saw 2 people use their mower. My neighbor uses a 3 wheel model and I saw one person have it on their trailer. The rest of the people around here tend to go with exmark bobcat hustler and toro sometimes.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with the hustler fastrak superduty that can comment on its quality? I understand its a "residential" mower but is built solely from commercial parts.

Thanks, Tom
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sd is good stuff! Of course if the xone with the vx4 was anywhere close to your budget its worlds over the sd...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Take a look at mine and see your wallet swell with profits!! I am pretty close and can meet you half way. No need to waste $3000
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=395184
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry man, not really in the market for a used machine. Im the kind of guy who likes to buy stuff new so I know exactly what maintenance was done to it. I cant seem to trust people and what they say. Not saying that you didnt do good work with your machine, just it my personal preference
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya. No sweat. Go and demo a ferris. You will be pretty amazed by the ride. And the new deck cuts as good as and better than the rest. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GRAVELY. puts the other mowers in the GRAVE.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my gravely, for example, cost me $5k in 2011. gravely zt hd 52". Its a commercial machine, at a homeowner unit price.

Ive put around 500 hrs on it so far, havent even had to use the choke yet, not once. NO JOKE. Doesnt even smoke when you start it up. Not even in 20 degree weather, which is the coldest its gotten here.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything