The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks, and thank you for subscribing
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Long week at work

It's been a long week and the rain has not helped us out at all... here are just a few pics up date on the retaining wall...We need a few days of sunlight and it will be finished. The house we need for the pool guys to come on in to start so we can do our irrigation and our landscape and sod. Let's see what else we have............. our truck hauling this heavy monster. Very useful piece of equipment we'll be purchasing one in the near future to start our land clearing section/site development part of our lil company.
As always any observations questions critiques are always welcomed, I always want to learn so there's no harsh feelings for constructive criticism.

As for now time to go pay attention in my Foundation Design Class
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard nothing but good things about those Gehls. I know some guys that have several between them and they swear by them.
I'm thinking about buying a dingo or boxer and then renting a large bobcat as needed, how much work are y'all doing to justify owning one vs renting one? That's always the question that runs through my mind when I'm thinking of buying one.
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about those Gehls. I know some guys that have several between them and they swear by them.
I'm thinking about buying a dingo or boxer and then renting a large bobcat as needed, how much work are y'all doing to justify owning one vs renting one? That's always the question that runs through my mind when I'm thinking of buying one.
Mike
that's a great question and I think it everyone will say it all depends on your company your goals and the work you're currently doing and in what direction you're trying to go towards to. I've used the boxers and are an impressive lil machine and well worth the money just bc of its compact size and still saves you the back breaking work and the attachments is what i like the most. Many tools into one is great.

If you have enough work to keep it running and still make a profit with it i would buy one bc that becomes your own but if you're still trying to get into diff aspects like we are than renting is the way to go. Breakdowns is always one of the biggest things if you have no idea how to e handy then it becomes a problem with equipment. We want to get into land clearing as well and we're looking into our options of what piecs of machinery will be impt to us to buy so we won't need to rent it. Looking at a med size excavator and a Dozer as well, which msot likely will be used instead of new but the skid i would like to buy a new one with just about every feature possible, preferably a CAT but those things are crazy expensive. The GEHLS are really nice and sturdy and i think give you the best price for a machine and i think the customer service is why people buy them alot here in houston. It all comes down to numbers get down and dirty with excel it becomes a great friend to use a lot hahahah
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon Lawn Serv View Post
So far for what we need it it's been great for us. You see alot of companies here with bandits and for us it wasn't the machine that interested us as much. The main thing for us was dealer range we have a large Vermeer dealer right around the corner while Bandit well I have no idea where everyone here in houston gets them bc I have yet to see a BAndit dealer. Don't get me wrong the Bandit makes a great product i just would rather have a daler close to me.
In the one picture you was chipping into trailer with plywood sides, did I see that right? We got the chipper but it normally stays at the lot and we stack the limb in a trailler with sides.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. Ive seen a boxer cross the auction block before for 4-5K, so it wouldn't be too bad on the bottom line.
Break downs can be a big deal a skid steer, it's much different than a break down on a mower or small machine like a boxer. Plus replacement tracks or tires can get expensive fast. That's one of the main reasons I don't want to fork out the dough for one. Most skid steers under $10K scare me and that's really all I could justify spending. I can rent a T140 or T190 for 200-300 a day...and if I'm only using a couple of times a month thats probably what I need to do. But I could see something like a boxer fitting in well with what I'm doing.
The Gehls are made in SD right near where the beekeeper I work for part time lives (he migrates south in the winter) and like I said they have nothing but good things to say about them.
When you say you crunch numbers on excel, are you using your own template or something that you copied? I would be interested in something like that.
Dirt work/clearing is rewarding work, I wish I could do it all day every day. Good luck, sorry if I rabbit trailed a bit.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
In the one picture you was chipping into trailer with plywood sides, did I see that right? We got the chipper but it normally stays at the lot and we stack the limb in a trailler with sides.
that's how we're currently doing it our next purchase will be either a dump truck or dump trailer. for now this has worked for us but I know we nee to move up to a dump truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
Yes. Ive seen a boxer cross the auction block before for 4-5K, so it wouldn't be too bad on the bottom line.
Break downs can be a big deal a skid steer, it's much different than a break down on a mower or small machine like a boxer. Plus replacement tracks or tires can get expensive fast. That's one of the main reasons I don't want to fork out the dough for one. Most skid steers under $10K scare me and that's really all I could justify spending. I can rent a T140 or T190 for 200-300 a day...and if I'm only using a couple of times a month thats probably what I need to do. But I could see something like a boxer fitting in well with what I'm doing.
The Gehls are made in SD right near where the beekeeper I work for part time lives (he migrates south in the winter) and like I said they have nothing but good things to say about them.
When you say you crunch numbers on excel, are you using your own template or something that you copied? I would be interested in something like that.
Dirt work/clearing is rewarding work, I wish I could do it all day every day. Good luck, sorry if I rabbit trailed a bit.
we're looking for a boxer as well for our equipment list, we have more work for a mini skid than a full size at the moment and it will help us more as well.
As for the Excel it's different spread sheets that I've came to develop over the years and really this year is when I made them a bit more the way I wanted them to be like. Quick courses in it would help a lot bc there's more to excel than simple addition and multiplication Macros are probably the best part of excel if used correctly.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

first is one of my fav plants Camelia, second is the Wright Zk we're demoing and so far very impressed and most likely will be purchasing this season
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last few pics are from the landscape we just did, we're waiting for the pool to go in the backyard to finish up this home ...
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sorry forgot the pics
Attached Images