Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that's a pretty nice size job there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Krazy- I'd follow what Yellowdog suggested. Spend a little time picking the big things of trash out for separate disposal and then go to town raking up the grass. I would also make sure to find out what the "acceptable" amount of trash is that can be disposed of with the grass since you will never get all the trash out. You could be looking at big expenses here if you don't cover your butt. Then for the disposal of the grass I would work out a per load charge with the customer since it is nearly impossible to estimate how much debris is going to come out of there. Good luck!

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks yellowdog and Andrew. im waiting to hear back from the parish if the will pick up the debris. i plan to recycle as much lumber/woeed debris as possible. the marsh grass is actually very dry, you can break it into pieces in yur hands. i figure two full days to kinda sort through the mess, to remove large debris etc and push the grass away the fence lines and edges of the ponds for safety. i also plan to rope off the areas around the ponds. and 2-3 days to mulch or bushhog the whole property. i think with the T300 w/ Timber Ax mulcher would leave the property looking very clean. any other thoughts? i would prefer not to use my tractor/bushhog due to chance of messing up the bushhog(have a large mowing contract about to start.)

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some "out of the box ideas" would be to pickup all the large items. They mow it down with a brush hog or similar and rake it into rows like an alfalfa field and bale it. I dont know how that swamp grass would be to bale but if you could cut it and bale it you would have much fewer trips to haul off, all the debris trash would captured in the bale. Then throw the few bales you would have on a trailer and take them to the dump or where ever. We bale here using large 1 ton square bales but round bales would be fine to, whatever to minimize trips and contain all the paper debris.

My concern would be you have to clean the trash out somehow because once you run it through a mower of sometype you have debris everywhere.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Some "out of the box ideas" would be to pickup all the large items. They mow it down with a brush hog or similar and rake it into rows like an alfalfa field and bale it. I dont know how that swamp grass would be to bale but if you could cut it and bale it you would have much fewer trips to haul off, all the debris trash would captured in the bale. Then throw the few bales you would have on a trailer and take them to the dump or where ever. We bale here using large 1 ton square bales but round bales would be fine to, whatever to minimize trips and contain all the paper debris.

My concern would be you have to clean the trash out somehow because once you run it through a mower of sometype you have debris everywhere.
Baling is a bad idea for who ever owns the baling equipment, all the grass has bits and pieces of slimy crude oil and other yucky stuff, and that will get left behind in the baling machine.
I'd say rake it and spread some chicken manure over the rest and let it biodegrade, we have companies here that use chicken manure and they mix it with contaminated soils from fuel station clean up jobs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well got confirmation from the parish(county) that if i bring the debris to the roadside(marsh grass included) they will haul it off. So now that ive got that part figured put. Time wise im still figuring that part out. Figure 2days to sort out the big debris and recyclable materials, 3-4 days pushing piles to the road way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you still going to load your trailer and have it haul to the road side?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Are you still going to load your trailer and have it haul to the road side?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dont know yet. May just push everything into large piles, then move it to the roadside. I really dont want to drive my truck through any of that crap n
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yall think im pretty close in my time calculations?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You think you can push up and move 6 acres of debris a day? (25 acres/ 4 days = 6.25 acres/day) I haven't walked the job to see how much debris is there but that seems like a very ambitious schedule to me if the site is covered completely in debris.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee