Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Prospective customer's boxwood woes

I've got a prospective customer who's having issues with their boxwoods. I'm looking at possibly leafminers, but I need to get back at them & look in the leaves to tell for sure. My other guess is that the current guys, who told the customer, "You've got gophers," is stressing the bushes out with the constant shearing. What do you all think?
Qualification - the white spots are from when they repainted earlier this year & the dark spots are low on the shrubs & when I looked at them, they looked like they were dirt thrown up by the blowers.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to know for sure, send a sample (and know what they want as a sample) to a plant pathologist at the closest U. of Cal. It's probably less than $10. But i can tell you that leafminer's don't look like your problem, those thing's leave very distinctive, semi-permanent trail's in the leave's, i don't see that.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

In my experiences, too much or too little sun and/or water are the cause of maybe 75%+ of plant and shrub issues. That bed is very small and very tight against the building. It may be a combination of excessive heat from the macadam and the building and a lack of water in the small bed.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

The brown edges on leaves being trimmed is normal. The dead areas are specific to branches... check the length of the branch for cracks and removed bark from equipment or vehicles. Leaf feeding insects will spread and multiply quickly and damage the overall hedge. Does not look like insect damage.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah my immediate inclination is that the shrubs are stressed from the constant shearing bug I want to be thorough.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Trimming hedges to often results in a weaker bush with a thin green shell and hollow center with no inner leaves. If You can pull back some branches and see no inner leaves you have a problem. To fix this, and get better growth inside the center, learn how to thin out the right branches. This will cause the bush to make new branches inside. Its a good habit to start if you want to give some vigor to your bushes. Otherwise they are on their way out and will have to be replaced soon.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like they could benefit from renewal pruning... only 2'' of green at the tips. Cut out 1/3 of the old branches. With boxwood, renewal is usually a few year period. Could be drought stress as stated above. Take some soil and some infected branches to your extension agent. Sterilize your tools after trimming just in case.

Does anyone else see the yellowing around the edges of the green leaves??? Chlorosis? Check the soil.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

stress

the plant is screaming for something
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

It looks like it was over-shearing. They're leafing out nicely right now