Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes we do snow removal, we have 250 snow properties. They are all seasonal contracts so the money is 100% guaranteed, whether it snows or not. We live in an area that usually gets 25-35 snow events in a season as we constantly get snow squals of the great lakes and georgan bay.

we grow year after year and I would love to eventually slow the grass down and go bigger and bigger with the snow.

There is lots of down time with the snow season, granted you cannot plan a vacation until the season is over, but I dont find you can do it during grass season either. Grass season is 5-7 days a week week after week, where as snow might be 3 days one week and then off for a week. Our routes are only 6 hours long anyways, so no big deal
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
It doesn't sound like you had much fun but like you said you learned some things. I think you waited way to long to roll out.

I rolled out at noon Friday with about 2 inches on the ground and started hitting my accounts near me, mostly just to mark them with snow berms. By 5:00 pm I had 6 inches and was on my second push of a factory parking lot I do. By 7:30 the roads were almost impassable but I did venture out on my route anyway coming back to my factory lot each time, once with 6 inches of new snow on it around 2 am. Around 4:00 am I tried to get gas but everything was closed, even the Mobil that swore they'd be open all night so I had to skip my planned run up into the woods. Instead I worked my way home and helped a friend of mine upon up a large church lot about 1/2 mile up the road from me...he couldn't get a lane in...and then went home for a little break. I got stuck trying to plow a neighbors driveway that I hadn't plowed at all yet and said screw this and put my chains on with some help from my son. I ran around with my chains on all day Saturday and parked it around midnight, so a 36 hour shift with just one long break Saturday morning. All I do with my chains on is blast things open...it's difficult to maneuver with them on. I rolled back out around 10:00 am Sunday without my chains on and did a few accounts and then went back and got my son to help with detail work until about midnight when I dropped him off an ran back out solo until 3:30 am Monday, at which point I had finished all of my regulars. Monday I started on the list of one-time customers that my wife had compiled for me but it started raining so I spent most of my time doing slush runs on my regulars and hitting aprons now that the town and state had gotten to the roads. Some of the one-timers were downright nasty with my wife even though she was pretty clear with them that they would have to wait. Thankfully she has pretty good phone skills because she works on a temporary basis for a FTD call center during their busy periods. My pricing is way below what yours is...mostly in the $125 to $150 range. I've yet to finalize my invoicing on my regular customers though. I only ended up doing about a half dozen one-timers.
I agree I think i did wait too long, but my truck with 1000lbs of sand in the bed, and with new nitto trail grappler mud/snow tires in september, had some of the best traction next to your truck with 235 snow tires and chains, that your gonna find. my tires are a 285 width and 33" tall so still pretty skinny. with huge deep treads that are self cleaning and really bite down into the snow. I would have liked to go out starting at 6" but by the time i did my last account it would have been 30-35hrs later with just me and one other truck especially once the roads got really bad around 11pm friday night and the town trucks quit or were getting stuck themselves and needed loaders to pull them out, so that was not much of option. i tried driving through close to 2' of unplowed snow way too much effort on my trucks part. I could see enough, but the truck was just struggling too much to go 10-15mph even so i called it quits.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

yes, do commercial and industrial, salt and plow, get about 40 something inches a season, i am typing because its raining not snowing now, got to take the good with the bad, if we get more global warming i'll cut more grass i guess, anyway you look at it im outside the house and off the couch
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I agree I think i did wait too long, but my truck with 1000lbs of sand in the bed, and with new nitto trail grappler mud/snow tires in september, had some of the best traction next to your truck with 235 snow tires and chains, that your gonna find. my tires are a 285 width and 33" tall so still pretty skinny. with huge deep treads that are self cleaning and really bite down into the snow. I would have liked to go out starting at 6" but by the time i did my last account it would have been 30-35hrs later with just me and one other truck especially once the roads got really bad around 11pm friday night and the town trucks quit or were getting stuck themselves and needed loaders to pull them out, so that was not much of option. i tried driving through close to 2' of unplowed snow way too much effort on my trucks part. I could see enough, but the truck was just struggling too much to go 10-15mph even so i called it quits.
Man, hat's off. There's snow and then there's SNOW!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been in and out if it over the last 20 years and going back in next year...just to quiet and not enough money here in Ohio not to do it.....we have always done 80% contracts with the average contract being 400 bucks for the season...and having 30 + customers send U a 100 bucks each month in Dec. Jan. Feb. & March sure helps out.....
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think the mistake some guys make in the lawn and landscape industry is setting there businesses up to NEED the money from snow removal.

I'm solo. been in business for 7 years now. I do snow removal for one reason and one reason only. because I WANT to. during the working season I make enough money to carry me through the winter months if I decided to get out of the snow removal business. so when it snows its all extra money for me.

I realize depending on where you are in business you may not make enough just yet to no need to do snow removal but I know some of the guys in business purposely operate year after year after year counting on snow removal income.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do snow soley for people i mow for for the reason of keeping other contractors out of there. I hate pushing snow its hard on everything involved including me haha. But around here people want a one stop shop its nearly impossible to land a commercial mowing job without also doing snow removal so i do what i need to to keep the account. Plus its nice to have a extra unexpected paycheck. I agree with yard guy i don't count or plan on any income from snow. I budget my money to have x amount every month december through march. Any money i get on top of that well lets be honest i have a little fun with it but i try to keep most of it put away until at least i know all my equipment is serviced and my trucks made it through the winter.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
Yeah I hear you. I turned around because one of the state roads was unplowed and I had to be on the throttle too hard. It just wasn't worth it.

I don't know if I mentioned it but this was the first storm I've driven in with a GPS unit and it was a big help. I could see where the road was OK but it was hard to get any feel for where I actually was due to the low visibility...the GPS was a big help with that and alerting me to upcoming turns in the road.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally in for the night started yesterday at little after noon spraying parking lots. Got a short dinner break and started plowing. Timing of the storm was about perfect. Was able to get all commercials opened up a little before 6 am. Got all the residentials that pay to be open by 7 done. Investment of the small tractor with blower was amazing. Especially since all my residentials but one I can do three with our loading or unloading. Just finished up my last one of the night. Luckily I have 10 of my 25 residentials that are vacation homes and the owners are down in Florida so I don't have to rush to get them done. Everything went good no breakdowns besides a stubborn starter on the tractor once nothing a couple pops with the hammer didn't fix. Going to catch a 4-5 hour nap then go out and result do to warm conditions today had a lot of thawing going on and I don't want calls about ice due to refreeze. Great storm good amount light snow cant complain there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Finally in for the night started yesterday at little after noon spraying parking lots. Got a short dinner break and started plowing. Timing of the storm was about perfect. Was able to get all commercials opened up a little before 6 am. Got all the residentials that pay to be open by 7 done. Investment of the small tractor with blower was amazing. Especially since all my residentials but one I can do three with our loading or unloading. Just finished up my last one of the night. Luckily I have 10 of my 25 residentials that are vacation homes and the owners are down in Florida so I don't have to rush to get them done. Everything went good no breakdowns besides a stubborn starter on the tractor once nothing a couple pops with the hammer didn't fix. Going to catch a 4-5 hour nap then go out and result do to warm conditions today had a lot of thawing going on and I don't want calls about ice due to refreeze. Great storm good amount light snow cant complain there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. So towing/parking/maneuvering with a trailer wasn't a problem?