Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
It never made since to me why 4 mix trimmers are so heavy but 4 mix blowers are the lightest on the market.
Posted via Mobile Device
I always wondered that too and also why would you ever put a flex shaft in a straight shaft trimmer? Is it to discourage you from buying it if you plan to use attachments? Is that stihls way of selling the more expensive models?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupesCuts View Post
I made it through one week with this trimmer. I did probably 65 accounts this week. The trimmer has its drawbacks. Its not as powerful as a 4 mix, the flex shaft drove me nuts, and the trigger mechanism is cheap. But, it is light weight, engine is snappy and responsive.

I got past the wobble from the flex shaft by swapping it with an fs100rx solid aluminum shaft. Now theres no more wobble.

I'm going to keep the trimmer and see how long it lasts. I think its a really good homeowner unit, but it's design falls just short of being commercial.
guess I didn't know it was a flex shaft. mine doesn't have any wobble. the only 2 trimmers I've had was the fs 56 rc-e and the fs 70 rc-e.

not that it matters to me though. I don't pick about specs with trimmers. I just went to the dealer told them how many accounts I do and took the one they recommended. I don't pay much attention to power, weight, what kind of shaft it has. but then again I just do your basic trimming around trees, light posts, etc on mostly resi properties.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

just wanted to bring up a quick question... how are the fs70rc trimmers doing? were mostly residential and im purchasing new trimmers this spring and for the price and weight it seems pretty sweet. havent used one yet. i have plenty of fs 90 shafts laying around and older echo shafts as well. maybe they could replace the flex shafts? ive had enough of the stihl 4 mix equipment and the valve adjustments. i have a fs 85 t that is still used daily or every other day. no valves to adjust just crank and go. any help is much appreciated.

Tags
fs 70 , grass , lawn , stih , trimmer