Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Best Turf Tall Fescue for Western Kentucky

This fall I am going to completely redo my back yard. This yard was a cattle pasture until 2 years ago so it has some pretty rough spots in it. My plan is to take our tractor and tiller and work the yard, add some soil, and then use the box blade to level out the ruts and up and downs. What I need to know is what is the preference of the board when it comes to Turf Tall Fescue. I am wanting something that will have a fine blade and a dark green color. I have been looking at The Rebels and Falcon IV, any thoughts?

Thanks

Greg
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Falcon V is the #2 tall fescue in the US.

http://www.ntep.org/data/tf06/tf06_1...tf0612ft01.txt

Ky1 stand's for Kentucky. Falcon V is the #1 tall fescue in Kentucky. Rebel is way down the list and from my observation's has purity problem's. I have been using rebel for 25 year's and i am not happy with it anymore. Cow pasture's can have real compaction problem's, till it well. Good luck.

Last edited by agrostis; 02-19-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, it looks like I will be looking for a place that sales Falcon. I have been thinking about renting a aera-vator and using it to break up the compaction, then using the tiller to loosen the dirt so that I can level the yard and get rid of the track and make the yard much smoother. Any body got any thoughts on this plan?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A aera-vator is a great machine. It's the best thing there is for making a new seedbed, but it only work's the top 5-6 inch's. I would box blade first, then till and then use the aera-vator. The 3 point hitch model's are offset so they go over the tire track's on one side, or if the tractor is narrow enough, you can get the biggest aera-vator that cover's the track's on both side's. That machine make's a seed ready bed, a little final hand raking with a steel spring rake to cover the seed and that's it. Don't forget that those thing's move at like 2 MPH.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been doing so more thinking on this. I am going to go with Falcon fescue grass. I have a friend who runs a lawn mower dealership that sales the Ventrac tractors. He has owns one and the aeravator with the seedbox on it that I am going to be able to rent. I am going to take my tractor and box blade and cut a couple of hills and humps down, and to level some other spots. I have already had a couple of loads of dirt brought in and will have to have a couple of more to finish. I will try to take some pictures of what I have now, the renovation, and then next year what I have then.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Outstanding. I think you will really be pleased with the job that the aera-vator does. I've never used the seed box so i don't know how you would control the depth but 3/16 is optimal, no deeper than 1/4". Six Lbs. of seed per 1000 sq. ft. with irrigation, eight Lbs. without. Prime seeding date for you is September 1.

USDA zone map - http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx