Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The used truck market

My son and I have been scowering the internet for trucks. He is looking for a truck to use for work and to also use as a truck for a side shipping business during slow winters. Naturally he wanted a diesel for economy and longevity. Well we were in for a shock at how far off people are with their prices. Everywhere you look, prices are 5-8 thousand more than their actaul value.

One of the best examples I found was a truck on CL, an 01 Ram 2500 QC shortbed cummins. Guy was asking $20,000!!!!! I called and asked to go look at it and he agreed. I went and told him that the KBB on his exact vehicle was just at 12k. When my son told him he would give him that, he went into a tempur tantrum about how "its not a gas job here" and " I guess you dont know a real truck when you see one" All im saying is the market around here is way out of whack and people seem pretty crazy. And believe me that I know asking price and final sale price are 2 different things, but people dont wanna move either. I know alot of guys on here are good at finding deals and everything else, but I guess im not as lucky.

What do you guys have to say about the market in general. How are prices in your area?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The used truck market

My father helped me search for a truck and we searched about two months. Prices over in our area were just how you were explaining. 8 weeks later we found a good pretty decent deal
Scag Tiger Cat 52'' w/ Bagger
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The used truck market is pretty much toast. People think what they have is gold and want super high prices. There are some good deals out there but most of the truck in my area are over priced for the condition there in. Your almost better to buy new and have a warranty then buying a truck a used truck and not know what you are getting
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best time to buy is in the fall, right now everyone is getting income tax monies back. I bought my box truck 5 years ago, it took me 9 months to find it.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The used truck market

KBB is worthless in the first place you need to look at NADA here in NY for a more accurate price. And crew cab diesels up here at big money no matter the mileage! My advice if he wants/needs diesel pick up look at a regular cab and stick with ford, duramax and cummins are always more expensive used
21" Honda
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
4HP Craftsman walk behind edger
6X12 utility trailer
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The used truck market

Oh and it took me 16 mo this to find my 07 CC duramax and I got a smoking deal cause its work truck package and only has cruise and AC
21" Honda
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
4HP Craftsman walk behind edger
6X12 utility trailer
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamYardsale4 View Post
KBB is worthless in the first place you need to look at NADA here in NY for a more accurate price. And crew cab diesels up here at big money no matter the mileage! My advice if he wants/needs diesel pick up look at a regular cab and stick with ford, duramax and cummins are always more expensive used
Why do you think KBB is useless? I dont think your wrong but ive always though of them as being the standard.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamYardsale4 View Post
My advice if he wants/needs diesel pick up look at a regular cab and stick with ford, duramax and cummins are always more expensive used
Yup, they are practically giving away clean low mile 6.0's & 6.4's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The used truck market

6.0 a need work done to make them reliable and the 6.4 is a huge gas guzzler. People were returning them they were so bad on fuel. That's why they changed to the 6.7. The best bang for your buck is the 2003-1996 7.3 powerstroke. Fords bullet proof motor. Parts are cheap and its good on fuel.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
6.0 a need work done to make them reliable and the 6.4 is a huge gas guzzler. People were returning them they were so bad on fuel. That's why they changed to the 6.7. The best bang for your buck is the 2003-1996 7.3 powerstroke. Fords bullet proof motor. Parts are cheap and its good on fuel.
The problem with the 7.3 is price. I ran across an '03 Lariat Crew Short Bed with 20,000 miles online about two months ago. They wanted $35,000!
Posted via Mobile Device