Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post

I hope Gravely can chime in on when the deck is officially available.
I know you've seen the announcement thread GMLC but wanted to update this thread to answer the question for others. Changes are already in production.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=397357
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

this looks like a nice mower. i still think most companies miss the small details. the normal lawn professional uses the mower with the rops down 95-100% of the time. with that being said the rops on this one is too far out when folded down much like a hustler, exmark, and others. the only companies that have gotten this right so far are john deere and scag on the cheetah. look at those mowers how the rops is tucked in nicely and when lowered is below the height of the seat. you wouldn't think that would be a big deal but when mowing under low hanging tree limbs, around guide wires, and such it really comes into play. the kind on this mower which is on alot of brands would easily get caught on the limbs or wires even when folded down. it's just such a simple fix i don't see why more companies aren't doing it.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
this looks like a nice mower. i still think most companies miss the small details. the normal lawn professional uses the mower with the rops down 95-100% of the time. with that being said the rops on this one is too far out when folded down much like a hustler, exmark, and others. the only companies that have gotten this right so far are john deere and scag on the cheetah. look at those mowers how the rops is tucked in nicely and when lowered is below the height of the seat. you wouldn't think that would be a big deal but when mowing under low hanging tree limbs, around guide wires, and such it really comes into play. the kind on this mower which is on alot of brands would easily get caught on the limbs or wires even when folded down. it's just such a simple fix i don't see why more companies aren't doing it.
I've got a 460 which was my first mower to include the ROPS. Ran it for about two weeks and looked everything over pretty close. I wanted to make it work. Guys that have never run one before without ROPS are probably better off than us long-in-the tooth LCOs. I know they serve their purpose and I'd run one in a heartbeat if it didn't hinder operation under low obstacles. I'm as lazy as the next guy and never stop to reraise the ROPS after lowering for clearance. That being said, when in the lowered position it never caused an issue in the rear of the machine and I actually liked the idea of it being back their acting as a higher bumper to guard the engine. I've seen the models you mentioned and they do have a nice clean stowing placement. But what good does it do in the down position anyway? Might as well not be on the machine if this is the position it's in all the time. So to me the down/stow position is a mute point.

On my 460 the ROPS are lower or the same height as my seat back when in the down position. The big negative I found is the width factor, more than the height, when folded. I would catch branches even though it's at or below seat height, that I hadn't had to worry about before because of width. It's like have a seat back as wide as the total machine width almost. All the brands I've looked at are as wide so I don't believe this is specific to Gravely. Off the record, if it's going to be down all the time take it off and save the weight and the room IMO (do not attempt this at home, only a professionally trained stunt person should consider doing this under strict supervision).

Last edited by mtmower; 02-25-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah the width is the main problem. i wouldn't want to remove the rops from the machine completely. it's part of the framework. it is bolted between frame rails on my deere. taking it off would make the frame weaker possibly but maybe not. I'm not sure. also folded down the rops on my deere protects the rear end if you were to back into something.

you don't need to take the rops off. there may come a time where you need to have it up such as mowing on a steep hill. in that case that would be the only time i would raise it up. as for the majority of mowing which is on fairly flat ground there is no need to have the rops up.

Last edited by weeze; 02-25-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly I have never caught the ROPS on anything. Now the bagger is another story. Its very wide but holds a ton of clippings!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravely Commercial View Post
I know you've seen the announcement thread GMLC but wanted to update this thread to answer the question for others. Changes are already in production.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=397357
Thanks for listening to your customers and constantly improving! Keep up the good work Gravely!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

ProStreetCamaro
I saw last summer that you demoed a Jd 9 series...What made you go with the Gravely 460 over the JD?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATEMENTLAWNCARE View Post
ProStreetCamaro
I saw last summer that you demoed a Jd 9 series...What made you go with the Gravely 460 over the JD?

The main reason Is the two JD moweres I demoed were both under powered. JD has a real problem with the hydro system robbing power from the mower. The 460 rode far better than both JD mowers and the JD was longer and did not really fit on the trailer with our normal 36" WB, 34Z and 60"ZTR.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I owned both a Z720 like PSC demo'd, and also a Z950. IMO, neither was or is underpowered either by the engine or from the hydro's. I still don't know what PSC is talking about when he says that. Neither of mine bog(ged) down from pushing the sticks forward or anything else for that matter. You can't beat the QOC that the 7 Iron delivers either.

The JD's do need a suspension seat on them though, no doubt about that. The hydro's are very responsive, especially on the 900's, but they ride like a tank. It's about time that they finally added a suspension seat to their Z's. Too bad you have to buy the top of the line machine to get one though.

I really like Gravely as a company, and their machines are excellent IMO. The next time I buy a Z, it will probably be a Gravely due to the way they, as a company, treat people, and also because the 400 series are excellent machines.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device