Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G View Post
I am also 17. But i too went time of service but had some incidents with clients saying they paid when they missed a week or two making me lose $$$$. only happened once or twice but other than that my size of business roughly 15 neighborhood houses was the best way for me to go.
That's why I never take cash, check's are numbered and put in QB's by check # that way I always have a record of all payments, no BS'ing me with I think I already paid crap! SYSTEMS SYSTEMS SYSTEMS guys you gotta have systems in place it's for your own good.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
That's why I never take cash, check's are numbered and put in QB's by check # that way I always have a record of all payments, no BS'ing me with I think I already paid crap! SYSTEMS SYSTEMS SYSTEMS guys you gotta have systems in place it's for your own good.
Yup. I can tell them the check number, the amount and the date of the postmark (what I enter for date received). And if they claim I didn't service their lawn on a certain date I can check my log book and tell them to the minute when I was there, what machine(s) I used, what height I cut the lawn at and often other specifics. If you don't have accurate record keeping that you can back up in the case of a descrepancy you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the customer.

Alex: If you are going to take cash at the time of service I recommend that you have a 2-part receipt booklet so you can give the customer a receipt and keep one for your records.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

That's what I do.. the guy wasn't home at the time so I left it in his door he claims he didn't get it and days the lawn didn't seem cut but yet that was 2 weeks later. I showed him the receipt but he said I faked it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i get paid at the time i cut the yard by check or cash. alot of them are at home and pay me when i'm done. others work and leave a check for me. sure they sometimes forget but they just pay me double the next cut which is fine by me. i have some that send me a check in the mail without me even sending a bill. they just pay me in advance for the month's cuts. i wait until i receive the check before i go cut their yard.

i only have a 2 that get billed monthly. one is a buisness and i don't even mail them a bill. i just walk in the front door and hand the bill directly to the secretary. it's a small place and takes a min to walk in there and do that. the other one is a trailer park of 7 trailers and the owner doesn't live there so i mail him a bill each month halfway through the month and i get a check from him after the 1st of the next month.

i go to the bank once a week at the end of the week and deposit the checks as well as i keep some of the cash payments as spending money so i don't ever have to go to the atm or bank or whatever to get cash. i always have a steady supply coming in every week.

either way it's the same amount of money. billing monthly you just get paid once a month. getting paid each day you get paid daily or weekly.

i like getting cash because when i go out to eat i always pay in cash. i don't use debit/credit cards for things like that.

Last edited by weeze; 02-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

dang i wish they would change that time to edit your posts to 15min. i always seem to run out of time before 10min is up.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

13 years in business, and I always just sent out bills at the end of the month after the services are completed. I probably got stiffed for $1200 total ($660 from one customer that moved to Belize and wanted me to take care of their place until it sold - I would now demand payment up front for that sort of thing..) Most of this loss was in the first few years before I toughened up a bit.

To help with cash flow early on, I would prepare the bills a week before the month ended and as soon as I mowed the last time for the month I would send out those bills. That way money was already coming in before the first of the month.

I'm stunned anyone tries to collect each week or bills twice a month. I can't imagine any normal customer liking that set up. Customers that do like that are probably the chatty ones that are lonely and want to BS with you each week for as long as you'll let them. Don't fall into that trap unless she is stunningly hot and your pretty sure you're both single.

If someone is routinely late, it is time to get rid of that hassle. Eventually something is going to happen and they are going to fall further behind. Send out a nice letter with some facts. Say, "we count on regular payments to meet our monthly expenses. Four out of the last six months we have had to wait well beyond the due date before receiving your payment which has negatively affected our monthly cash flow and business goals. We would love to continue servicing your lawn but we will now require you to prepay for our work before any services can be rendered." Enclose a prepayment invoice for the following month plus any amount they currently owe you.

If they haven't paid, skip them. They will either immediately pay to get back on your schedule or they won't. Either way you'll be better off.

Lastly NEVER make any sort of threat you aren't prepared to follow through on. Threatening to take someone to small claims court over $100 dollars makes no sense. Is your time worth anything?? If they owe you money and they won't pay after reasonable nice collection methods, swing by each week and post an envelope with the over-due bill in it with a big red "PAST DUE" stamp on the outside. Nobody wants their neighbors seeing this, and it is even more effective when you have other accounts on the street. They will be worried you are telling their neighbors that they are deadbeats.

9 times out of 10 they will make you a priority. Very few of their creditors are at their front door each week. That gives you a major "squeaky wheel" advantage.

TO the guy that said he has 10K in outstanding invoices that go unpaid until winter rolls around each year: You sir, are completely crazy. The farther someone is behind the less likely you are to ever see your money. People that are always late on their bills are more likely to be forced to move too. When that happens it becomes way more difficult to collect. I'm sure you are a very nice guy but you are letting your customers walk all over you. Expecting (demanding) some moderate respect will make you come off as far more professional too. I can't imagine any possible advantage to running a legitimate business like that...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

One other thing, for the people that collect each month before the work is done: I'm shocked that works with new customers. Even if it does, my guess is they are bit uneasy writing you a check when you haven't done anything for them yet. That might be fine if you are a huge, well recognized company, but for most of the people in here I'm guessing this would be a bad idea. In this industry, at least in my area, that practice is far from what is normally expected.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i ask everyone what they wanna do when they hire me. i say do you wanna pay each time i cut or pay monthly or whatever. some out of town people send me a check in the mail for each month before i even cut their yards. i don't really care as long as i get paid. most people always want to pay each cut. that's what they want to do where i live. i've always got my money for every job i've done. i've never gone without getting paid for any work and i don't ever plan on doing that.

this is one advantage of getting paid weekly. if they stiff you then you are only out one cut's worth of money. if they stiff you for a month you are out 4 cut's worth.

i've only had one incident where they kept forgetting to leave a check. it had happend before but they would leave me a check for double the next time. this time however they didn't leave a check again. so after cutting it 2 times without pay i went back the following week and a check still was not there so i skipped the yard and didn't cut it. so at that point i was only behind 2 cuts. i went back the next week and the normal payment for 1 cut was there so i cut it then. they sent me an email saying they knew they were behind paying me and asked how much they owed. i told them and then i received a check in the mail for that amount. i kept on servicing the lawn the rest of the year and the checks were always there so i didn't have any more problems. everything is paid up in full so no issues.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzy View Post
One other thing, for the people that collect each month before the work is done: I'm shocked that works with new customers. Even if it does, my guess is they are bit uneasy writing you a check when you haven't done anything for them yet. That might be fine if you are a huge, well recognized company, but for most of the people in here I'm guessing this would be a bad idea. In this industry, at least in my area, that practice is far from what is normally expected.
We get first payment after very first service. Then each month is prepay. With a proper, professional appearence its not hard to look someone in the eye and say your check for 1 months service isn't worth my name, business or freedom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE FOUND THAT NO MATTER HOW I WOULD LIKE TO DO IT THIS IS DICTATED BY THE CUSTOMER , IF YOU HAVE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ACCOUNTS COMMERCIAL, RESIDENTIAL , BANK OWNED , REAL ESTATE LAWNS ETC. IN ORDER TO PROVIDE GOOD SERVICE TO THE CUSTOMER THEY WILL REQUEST DIFFERENT TYPES OF BILLING. i HAVE PEOPLE WHO OPERATE THERE BUDGETT BASED ON CASH AND THEY PAY CASH AT EACH SERVICE IF THEY MISS ME i GET THEM THE NEXT CUT , 2 IS AS FAR AS WE LET IT GO , BUT IF YOUR CUSTOMER MISSES YOU 3 TIMES AND THEY ARE ON A CASH BASIS SOMETHING IS WRONG (RED FLAG) THEY CAN ALWAYS LEAVE THE MONEY UNDER THE MAT , DROP BY THE OFFICE 24 /7 AND PUT IN LOCKED DROP BOX ETC. OTHER RESIDENTIALS WE JUST LEAVE A INVOICE AT TIME OF SERVICE AT THERE HOUSE AND A FEW ON MONTHLY BILLING , COMMERCIAL ACCTS USUALLY MONTHLY , BUT WE HAVE ONES THAT LIKE TO BE BILLED EACH SERVICE THAT WAY A REGULAR PLANT MANAGER CAN SIGN OFF ON PAYMENT ETC BECAUSE IF YOU DO MONTHLY THE BILL AMMOUNT WILL BE HIGH ENOUGH THAT IT NEEDS SPECIAL SIG , WICH MEANS A PAIN IN EVERYONES REAR INCLUDING THE CUST. WE HAVE BUSINESSES THAT WANT TO PAY EACH TIME OUT OF REGISTER BECAUSE THATS THE EASIEST FOR THEM , THE ONLY LAWNS AT THIS TIME THAT WE REQUIRE PRE PAYMENT FOR ARE REAL ESTATE LAWNS BECAUSE WE JUST GOT BURNED SO MUCH BY THESE PEOPLE AND NOW THAT WE REQUIRE UP FRONT PAYMENT WE HARDLY GET THE WORK ANYMORE , BUT WE DON'T NEED IT ANYHOW. SO I GUESS MY POINT IS MAKE IT EASY ON YOUR CUSTOMER TO PAY YOU AND YOU WILL GET PAID QUICKLY SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE WRITING CHECKS ETC SO AS LONG AS WE DO NOT HAVE TO GO OUT OF OUR WAY HOW EVER THEY PAY IS FINE WITH ME AS LONG AS THEY PAY. I THINK IF YOU LIMIT YOURSELF TO ONE TYPE OF PAYMENT YOU LIMIT YOURSELF TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF CUSTOMER AND THIS IS NOT A BAD THING DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF YOUR BUSINESS YOU MAY NOT WANT A CUSTOMER THAT PAYS CASH ETC KINDA LIKE WE DECIDED WE DO NOT WANT TO DO REAL ESTATE LAWNS BECAUSE THEY JUST ARE NOT WORTH IT FOR US ANYMORE , BUT THERE WAS A TIME THAT THE INCOME FROM THAT SECTION WAS IMPORTANT TO OUT BUSINESS , SO FOR THE YOUNG GUY DO WHATEVER IS GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR CUSTOMER I HAVE A FILLING YOU WILL BE GETTING CASH AND PERSONAL CHECKS IN YOUR NAME AND MOSTLY AT TIME OF SERVICE BUT IF YOU ONLY HAVE 10 REGULAR SIZED ACCOUNTS OR SO I WOULD BILL THEM EACH TIME , EVEN IF THEY MAIL PAYMENT IT STILL KEEPS CASH MOVING.