Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowerboy04 View Post
For those of you who bag grass weekly i was wondering how you handle your grass clippings. I either thinking building up the sides on my trailer and dumping onto a tarp and then draging it out. Or dumping into my pickup bed and put some sort of a load handler in it. Any and all ideas are appreciated.
thanks
alex
Get yourself one of these. This is what they be using here in Fresno Ca.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlawncaresvc View Post
Get yourself one of these. This is what they be using here in Fresno Ca.
Wish I would have bought yours off of you.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowerboy04 View Post
For those of you who bag grass weekly i was wondering how you handle your grass clippings. I either thinking building up the sides on my trailer and dumping onto a tarp and then draging it out. Or dumping into my pickup bed and put some sort of a load handler in it. Any and all ideas are appreciated.
thanks
alex
Load them in the dump bed, tarp it, and roll.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
Wish I would have bought yours off of you.
Yeah, we saw our old trailer today. Guy who traded us for it washed it and has it parked in his drive way. It actually looked nice. Looks like he's doing some final things to it to get it going.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
all i ever do is side discharge no matter what the conditions.
well there is more than one variable as you know in deciding when or if to discharge, mulch or bag.

type of grass, client preferences, growth, etc.

in my neck of the woods there are times when the growth is to much and or to wet to just side discharge. even a double cut wouldn't finish the job. there are times when I will side discharge on the first pass and bag on the second. other times when I bag on the first and discharge on the second.

I'm doing tall fescue and kentucky blue by the way. sometimes, mostly in the spring you just can't get away from bagging or you'll leave clumps.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We bag larger properties in Spring, mulch/discharge mid summer, and bag again in the Fall.

Some contracts REQUIRE us to bag especially commercial cemetary accounts.

We had a custom ramp built to drive the mowers into the back of a dump truck. We also use our debris loader.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i cut warm season grasses here and we cut short at 2" height. i've cut some yards over 1ft tall before and yeah it will leave a few clippings but that's what they get for waiting so long to have it cut. they never seem to mind and they understand that it will not look perfect after being cut the first time.

on regular yards if cut weekly the grass is 4" tall and i cut it down to 2". on bi weekly it is 6" tall cut down to 2" and i side discharge and it never leaves clippings sitting on top of the lawn. if you run into a thick area during the spring you just mow over that one spot another swipe and the clippings are gone. i never double cut a lawn ever. even in the fall when mowing leaves i don't go over the whole yard 2 times. i just mow it all to the center and go over that one spot a few more times to mulch them all up and they disappear completely.

there is a difference between leaving a few clippings on a lawn and leaving huge clumps on a lawn. the clippings will disappear in about 4-8hrs after you leave. clumps will stay on the lawn and still be there when you come back for the next cut. i don't really have much of a problem with clumps but then again i don't mow in the rain or anything like that.

you can look at the pictures in my gallery and see there are no clumps or clippings on the yards after i cut. they look fine without bagging.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cutting 2-4" of clover wet or dry can leave a mess. With excessive field growth we'll bag first and then discharge the second cut. Usually we only have to do this a few times in the Spring it 90% of the time it is with clover.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't cut in the rain either but there are times when the morning dew makes things wet. when side discharging or even bagging sometimes clumps are present and a second pass is required or you go around the whole yard with a blower.

we cut at the height of 3" or higher. weekly in most cases. sometimes more than weekly. we try to avoid bi weekly at all cost.

and yes there is a difference between leaving clippings around vs. clumps. side discharging alone leaves clippings around, but they will turn into food for the turf. clumps will kill whats under it and be present until at least the next service sometimes longer depending on if you leave it there and how large it is.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trash cans and the back of the truck