Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslawnandlandscape View Post
See if the town your in has either GIS or tax assessor database. It won't give you an actual list but you get as much info on the property that is available and you can pinpoint to specific streets that your looking at.

I use town GIS mapping or Tax Assessors database as one avenue for bringing in new clients in the beginning of the season. I can get an idea of the property layout etc, owners name, and I then make up an actual letter and also handwrite the envelope. Yes it takes a bit more time, but last year I targeted 2 specific areas where I already have clients and mailed out to almost 100 homes. 5 are now clients and another bunch ended up being mulch or small projects. That avenue more than paid for itself easily and I don't run all over town in between clients. This year I'm tightening the areas even more to try and hone in on specific blocks.

I even sent mine out early last year (February) and a couple buddies of mine said I was wasting my time. Those that called me back in April said they were surprised to see a letter from a landscaper early before the season and held onto it.

I've done the door hangers and mass mailing (both disasters) I wasted more time, energy & money distributing the hangers while the mass mailing was a stupid move. I'm on AL (never a bite), YP.com does well for me, CL is extremely hit or miss, while the absolute best will always be word of mouth.

You won't hit the jackpot with direct mailing but if your looking to get a specific area, you can't really get more precise than that. Also do not use a flyer it will get tossed, write out a simple letter, quick intro (1 or 2 sentences) and right to the point.
How large is your area is it a rural area or a metro area? AL works very well for metro area's not so much for rural, are you using the FREE AL listing or the paid listing? We also have used the tax assessors database for creating a mailing list, time consuming, but effective for targeting neighborhoods. Door hangers work as long as your using them in conjunction with door knocking.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

my areas are pretty much rural. I figured as much with AL but I'm on there anyway; and I only have the free listing.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
where do you guys get mailing lists?

I'm aware of eddm
Try USPS.com

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to send my postcards off to the printer right now. I am going to send them out via USPS EDDM-retail. If you're not familiar with this service, you should look into it. You can pick which zip code, post office, and route # you want the postcards to go to. I am targeting a couple different routes in two zip codes that are the demographic I am looking for. All newer developments, lots over 1/4 acre, and within 5 miles of home. After its all said and done, I will have 2100 8x6.5 full color postcards sent out for roughly $500.

With the EDDM-retail, no permits are needed. You can mail upto 5000 pieces a day. You bundle them and put a cover sheet on the bundle to show which route it is for and drop it off at the post office of the route you want it sent to. They will then put your pieces in every persons mail box on that route. The cost for the mailing is around $0.17/each. You can send very large post cards out for this rate also, over a full page and the its the same price.

I know this has been discussed here, but its to be quickly forgotten. So again, here is the link... (click on the "retail" tab)

https://www.usps.com/business/every-...irect-mail.htm
Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That was a great link. I am close to giving it a try this year.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

pofit

Good advice, Sean,
especially this line.
Helping Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Owners Pofit & Prosper Since 1999
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TuffTurf, its almost as if you work for the USPS, being as this was your 13th post, and you joined last month. Anyways....can you select Single family homes only?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Good advice, Sean,
especially this line.
Helping Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Owners Pofit & Prosper Since 1999
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
TuffTurf, its almost as if you work for the USPS, being as this was your 13th post, and you joined last month. Anyways....can you select Single family homes only?
Even though you tried to attack me in another thread, I will answer this in the hopes that someone else may see it and find it useful.

You can't select demographics. Hence the name. Every Door Direct Mail. It is direct mailed to every door on the route that select. Lucky for me, the areas that I choose do not have ANY multip-famiily housing and in a very affluent area. Plus its in an area that is not overly saturated with LCO's.

For certain people this could be a VERY effective tool. For me, right now, it seems like the perfect fit. For others it could be huge waste of money. Thats how different areas are.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any introductory letters they are willing to share?

Tags
lawnbusinessreport.com , sean adams , thelawnletter.com