Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Possibly partnering with someone with pest control operator's license

I would like to get into the lawn spraying/fertilization/pest control business in Florida and are trying to figure out the best way to approach it. I called the AG office in Florida and she sent me the forms for a limited commercial license which kind of restricts me bigtime from some of the other full service business that can provide everything.

I also called a Lesco store in Orlando and asked the gentleman his advice and explained to him that I was more interested in the lawn fertilization part and keeping a person's lawn healthy and green and he mentioned to me that it possibly could be done but that it would be hard with a limited license and so much easier if I had the pest control operators licence.

Is there a way to partner with someone who has a license and go into business together in some way, form a company, and make this happen. And if so, how would it be structured. How much should the other person be involved etc. Also, where do you think are some good places to find someone that might be up for something like this. Maybe craigslist or contacting local pest control guys that don't do lawn treatments. Not really sure.

I am open to any suggestions. Either doing it with a limited commerical license or partnering with someone that does have a pest control operator license. Any advice or help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Your best bet is to get the license for yourself.

Partnering could work if you are already well established in maintenance and have a good customer base. Otherwise, it would be dangerous to have so much of your livelihood dependent on someone else's license.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This may be VERY gooD for both parties...

Simply becasue I have personal experance with this....

The Brookshires Brothers Supermarkets will NOT hore pest control unless they can get landscaping services with this.

I did some sub work for the pest control co. so they caould keep there contract....
Old 03-01-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

If you like working for yourself do it all youself. Most customers do want a company to do everything I have a herbicide/pesticide license, mow lawns, landscaping, and tree removal. Every since I started doing everything my business has increased quite a bit. If you dont wanna go through with the licensing just find someone that does good work and send him your customers and have him throw you some work.